+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bubbling along nicely under the first 11

Bubbling along nicely under the first 11

I had a new Qos experience last night . Instead of watching the first team as usual, I looked on as a young Queens team made up of mostly 17 and 18 year old boys played Bonnyton of Kilmarnock in a cup final in Sanquhar. As you will know, it's at this age where there is a huge failure rate in who can keep progressing to first team level , with most not able to take the last tremendously difficult next step. On a very wet night in difficult conditions, I watched a right ding dong of a game with both teams showing a lot of grit , will to win and skill as well. My mates boy Liam Douglas is an aggressive anchor in the middle of the park and watch out for a little guy in midfield called Dom McMahon. The boy has a lot of ability and poise, believe me . One to watch. Ps I nearly forgot to add it was 1-1 after 90 mins and with light fading it was straight to pens . We got beat on pens with our last 'missed' spot kick bouncing a yard over the line and back out. It was given as a miss but to be fair , there was no way the ref had the angle side on to see it like I did. An enjoyable night anyway !
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-05-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I had a new Qos experience last night . Instead of watching the first team as usual, I looked on as a young Queens team made up of mostly 17 and 18 year old boys played Bonnyton of Kilmarnock in a cup final in Sanquhar. As you will know, it's at this age where there is a huge failure rate in who can keep progressing to first team level , with most not able to take the last tremendously difficult next step. On a very wet night in difficult conditions, I watched a right ding dong of a game with both teams showing a lot of grit , will to win and skill as well. My mates boy Liam Douglas is an aggressive anchor in the middle of the park and watch out for a little guy in midfield called Dom McMahon. The boy has a lot of ability and poise, believe me . One to watch. Ps I nearly forgot to add it was 1-1 after 90 mins and with light fading it was straight to pens . We got beat on pens with our last 'missed' spot kick bouncing a yard over the line and back out. It was given as a miss but to be fair , there was no way the ref had the angle side on to see it like I did. An enjoyable night anyway !
    Interesting that you say there's a huge failure rate at this age, there might be more than one reason for this, one might be the fact that if they go on to 6th year at school they'd be leaving when they were either 17 or 18, then they have two options, going "full time" at Queens 20's/reserves and "earning" what, about £10 a week or looking for employment to pay their way in life. Plenty of lads have chased their goal of making it as a footballer, done their 2 or 3 years at £10 a week only to be told thanks but no thanks when they turn 20.

Another reason is that each age group needs a squad of about 16 players, some of these lads, no disrespect to them will be good enough youth squad players but won't be good enough to make the push towards the first team, that'll be the case at every club.

Sounds like the young lads gave a good account of themselves last night. Re the "missed" penalty, noticed there were assistant referees at the game, how did they not notice if the ball was 3ft over the line? Or as usual were they scared to make a call.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Let's hope that the club will now invest a bit more time and effort on the lads at this level although to hear that Warren Pearson has left after a fair number of years coaching the youngsters is a bit concerning. Youth is after all the clubs long term future.

Quote Originally Posted by QoS02 View Post
    Interesting that you say there's a huge failure rate at this age, there might be more than one reason for this, one might be the fact that if they go on to 6th year at school they'd be leaving when they were either 17 or 18, then they have two options, going "full time" at Queens 20's/reserves and "earning" what, about £10 a week or looking for employment to pay their way in life. Plenty of lads have chased their goal of making it as a footballer, done their 2 or 3 years at £10 a week only to be told thanks but no thanks when they turn 20.

Another reason is that each age group needs a squad of about 16 players, some of these lads, no disrespect to them will be good enough youth squad players but won't be good enough to make the push towards the first team, that'll be the case at every club.

Sounds like the young lads gave a good account of themselves last night. Re the "missed" penalty, noticed there were assistant referees at the game, how did they not notice if the ball was 3ft over the line? Or as usual were they scared to make a call.
    Yes, of course you are correct about some going to further education and yes some are eventually not good enough. This is a really tough sport with boys, their parents and of course Qos coaches having put countless hours into their development, many from 12 years old on. All this constant travelling, training and then they dont make the grade would be hard to take . I'd like to think the very impressive commitment and fitness shown by these young men last night will result in at least a couple making the first team. As I said, the lad McMahon has certainly got the talent to step up. He is a bit on the small side though but I hope this doesn't hinder him too much. We live in hope! Ps I meant a foot over the line not a yard .
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-05-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Did Ross Irving feature JR ? Notice he signed his first professional contract with Queens this week.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    Did Ross Irving feature JR ? Notice he signed his first professional contract with Queens this week.
    He's a powerful lad

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)