+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Two up front !!!

Two up front !!!

From watching the ‘training’ video on The Zone it’s obvious that our best striker is Nicky Clark.

His touch and how he moves and shoots the ball seems way above others in session where they are practicing taking a touch and shooting

‘Big Osman’ was the second best from the session - the others taking part didn’t look so good.

If we do manage to land Shankland then we have 3 strikers with potential for 20+ goals a season.

Shankland did play at Ayr with Moffat behind him but surely to get best combos out of the 3 leading strikers we should be playing two up top.

Really want us to storm the division with lots of goals

Want the men up top to have ability to link and compete for goals

As LarsErikKjell put it on teks which I total agree with

"People need to watch his highlight reel of his goals last season. "He needs to play in a front 2" and "we need to get a winger to get balls in the box" are both myths. He scores all types of goals and is a total predator. Whether we play 4231 or 442 or anything else doesnt change the fact we have signed someone who has been red hot the last couple of years.

If we play the 4231 then its going to be Clark/C Smith/Pawlett in the role behind him and all of those players will spend their time close to Shankland. Clark drops slightly deeper yes, but it wasnt too often that our 1 striker was isolated last season."

i detest the largs 1 up front pish but looking at Shankland last season did it really matter that much to him? he was finishing from all over!

Agree Clarks better than Sow, said it all season he should have played as no.9 i rated him more highly than Safranko, fans loved him due to his work rate but never the finisher Clark is as was proven a few times

The good thing is we now have flexibility and more options.

I think my preference would be Smith at 10 and Shankland up top. They’re good mates from Aberdeen days so there’s an understanding there (think they also crossed paths at St Mirren). They’re capable of getting 30 goals between them with Clark and Sow in reserve who’ve both done it in the past and McMullan and Pawlett chipping in from wide areas.

For the first time in 5 years, I’m excited about new season.

To make sure we have more than enough firepower, we should take the lad Nelson from The Fun, shouldn’t cost much more than a couple of bob and a tube of smarties to get him? Wouldn’t be too difficult to persuade the lad, club the size of United compared to their Mickey Mouse outfit, it would be a no brainier for him really.

Quote Originally Posted by Daly9 View Post
    The good thing is we now have flexibility and more options.

I think my preference would be Smith at 10 and Shankland up top. They’re good mates from Aberdeen days so there’s an understanding there (think they also crossed paths at St Mirren). They’re capable of getting 30 goals between them with Clark and Sow in reserve who’ve both done it in the past and McMullan and Pawlett chipping in from wide areas.

For the first time in 5 years, I’m excited about new season.
    i cannot wait for the day i see smith played as a no10

Two up front must be the way. Always thought strikers should challenge together in close proximity with each other.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)