+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lib Dems on top!

I think the big loser BT is our political system, is our democracy sustainable when an MP is returned with the votes of just 14% of the electorate, 86% didn't vote for the MP representing them in parliament ? I'm not knocking the Labour candidate, she won, all the others got even less of a share than she did, but such voter apathy is alarming, me and you might be interested in politics BT, but an awful lot of people, too many really, have switched off, they don't give a FF any more.

Always been the case Sinkov.

I'd guess that almost all of us on here would vote in a GE or a local election but that's certainly not true of the wider population.

A lot of people don't even know who the PM is. *

* Which is understandable at the moment because, technically,we don't have one - well, we won't at some stage today when Theresa does one.

I think this shows that the Brexit party needs to get their act together and write their manifesto.

This was the ideal place and the ideal time for the Brexit party but Labour hung on by campaigning on other issues which were relevant to the voters.

If their candidate had knocked on my door I would have asked "What are you going to do on social care?"

If he was honest he would have replied "Dunno. All we care about is Brexit"

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I think this shows that the Brexit party needs to get their act together and write their manifesto.

This was the ideal place and the ideal time for the Brexit party but Labour hung on by campaigning on other issues which were relevant to the voters.

If their candidate had knocked on my door I would have asked "What are you going to do on social care?"

On a serious note, the resources the Labour Party chucked at winning this seat was unbelievable. I was telephoning the Peterborough electorate to canvas support from Bolton in conjunction with hundreds of other CLP comrades from all over the country. You are totally correct sinkov, the apathy amongst the voting public is very worrying.

I detect a total apathy to the shenanigans in Westminster from the general public. I sincerely hope that particular gravy train is going to soon be derailed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I wonder about a Brexit Party minifesto 59, it could actually lose them votes. They've just polled almost identically in by-election as they did in the Euros and still on a one issue ticket. And take your lot, they've had a surge in support recently, do you think all that support is a result of voters studying the LibDem manifesto and saying 'yep, that's for me' ? Of course it isn't, it's from exactly the same source as the Brexit Party, but from the opposite end of the in/out spectrum, they're Remainers switching to the LibDems because they think that's the best chance of keeping us in the EU, there won't be a one of them ever turned a page of your manifesto.

And does anyone believe anything they read in a manifesto any more anyway, people aren't stupid, they remember tuition fees and the promises to respect the result of the referendum, Sir Nigel has one popular policy, no one outside the Westminster bubble cares about their views on social care, for voters they exist to get us out of the EU, nothing else.

I fully understand how they did so well in the Euros Sinkov - it was fair enough to stand on a single issue ticket there.

But in UK elections you need to have an opinion on many things.

Otherwise they are very vulnerable to being questioned on other issues which are also important to voters.

Would you vote for a party with no views on the NHS, education, housing, social care, the environment etc? I hope not.

And the other parties will make the most of this in their election literature and whilst knocking on doors.

Let's face it, this election was just about as good as it gets for the Brexit party. Big leave area, the party on a massive high....if they couldn't pull it off this time then there will be few places where they could win.

And we deserve to know if they intend to privatise the NHS, allow many more private schools, have closer ties with Saudi etc before we are in a position to support them or not.
    The public won't give them a free pass on every issue apart from Brexit.

If, as you suggest, their policies make them more unpopular then that's tough. But to be a credible party they need to tell us how they would act as a Government.

They are not a serious party of government 59, they may say they are. they would say that wouldn't they, but they are not. They're a one trick pony, formed to get us out of the EU, I really don't care whether they have a manifest or not, even if they had one I wouldn't read it, Billys Weekly Liar is far more illuminating and reliable than any party manifesto, and if there was a GE tomorrow I would vote for them, and that will apply at any time until we have left the EU.

I can see where you're coming from, you, the lefty media and their Remainer opponents need a manifesto as a stick to beat them with, it would be pored over line by line, word by word, and ripped to shreds, at the moment you can't lay a finger on them, if I was Sir Nigel I wouldn't give them that stick, they will not lose one single vote because they don't have a manifesto. I can't imagine any Brexiteer moaning that Sir Nigel doesn't have a manifesto, they're far too busy moaning that we're still coupled to that festering corpse.

Just get us out Sir Nigel, let them whistle for a manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    They are not a serious party of government 59, they may say they are. they would say that wouldn't they, but they are not. They're a one trick pony, formed to get us out of the EU, I really don't care whether they have a manifest or not, even if they had one I wouldn't read it, Billys Weekly Liar is far more illuminating and reliable than any party manifesto, and if there was a GE tomorrow I would vote for them, and that will apply at any time until we have left the EU.

I can see where you're coming from, you, the lefty media and their Remainer opponents need a manifesto as a stick to beat them with, it would be pored over line by line, word by word, and ripped to shreds, at the moment you can't lay a finger on them, if I was Sir Nigel I wouldn't give them that stick, they will not lose one single vote because they don't have a manifesto. I can't imagine any Brexiteer moaning that Sir Nigel doesn't have a manifesto, they're far too busy moaning that we're still coupled to that festering corpse.

Just get us out Sir Nigel, let them whistle for a manifesto.
    Well, as a political opponent, that is music to my ears Sinkov!

On the doorsteps people DO talk about other stuff you know.

And i would point out to these residents that the Brexit party cannot be seriously considered because they simply can't be bothered with the NHS, education or anything else that is happening in the country.

It will work for some, but nowhere near enough.

Mark my words....(that is assuming wee still in the EU at the time of the next GE)

They will come up with a manifesto 59, I'm just saying I wouldn't be rushing to produce one if it was owt to do with me, which obviously it isn't. We did have a similar conversation after the Euros, and I did agree with you that they would need more than just Brexit if it was electing MPs, but their vote has held up perfectly well in Peterborough without a manifesto, so when the facts change, I change my mind, and the facts say there is no pressing need for a manifesto, especially as there is no GE in sight anyway.

Calls already for Labour's new MP to have the whip withdrawn, seems they've managed to come up with yet another anti-semite. Is it just happenchance, or does Labour actively seek out these sort of people ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)