+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell - yay or nay?

Joe Newell - yay or nay?

A phrase which always seems to precede his name is 'on his day'. On his day, Joe Newell is an elegant, graceful, skillful player. On his day, he's by far the best and most talented player at the club. There were times in his four years at the club when he was linked to bigger clubs because on his day he was as good a winger as any in the Championship.
    Then there's the other Joe Newell. The one that appears lethargic and leggy. The two left (or right?) feet Joe Newell. The Joe Newell we've probably seen the most.
    Still, I think we'd benefit from keeping him if we can, although not at any cost. I just get that feeling that it would be a big loss for us and a big gain for whichever L1 club signs him.

A resounding NAY!

He's more than had his chance at the club to shine and progress.Yes I take onboard all the finest points to his game but, for me he's just got plain lazy. With all that talent, as you describe, he should be playing at a much bigger club. Say it all really and I for one would not miss his lazy/no show days.

I don't think he's developed into the player he should be by now. He still looks the same player we bought 4 years ago when he looks very good when he's on and doesn't show up in probably more than half the games he played so far hence the reason he's started on the bench more times then he should. For the reasons stated above it's probably be the right thing to move him on because I can't see him developing his game anymore imo and if we want to get back to championship we need players who have potential to be better.

Nope

The wingers we currently have will be better than any replacement that is brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecarling View Post
    The wingers we currently have will be better than any replacement that is brought in.

Who are they? Three have left already.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Who are they? Three have left already.
    Show me who has already left then as contracts don’t expire til July.

You really think we will get a similar class of player to Taylor, Newell etc on our cost cutting exercise

Open your eyes Doncaster have offered better terms to Newell than we could offer

Not for me.

We need more than 20 minute players.

I get both sides of the argument with Newell. If he played to his potential consistently then he wouldn’t play for Rotherham. He’s been hampered by injuries, poor form, spells out the team and played in a variety of positions. Anyone tell me his best position?

Took balls the size of King Kong to take that 97th minute penalty against Donny. He’s an absolute diamond of a lad and isn’t known for his brains but he adores Warney.

I’ll be sad to see him go.

It was clear that he was going at the end of last season. The fact that he wouldn't sign a contract and we took out the option that we had on him says it all.
    Apparently we have offered x and Donny have offered him z. I would be surprised if he went to another Championship club but I wouldn't rule it out. He's definatley good enough. Unfortunately we've only been able to get the best out of him in 20 minute spells as Brin says.

I'd like him to stay!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast