Get your very own personalised Views from the Kop gifts!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 251

Thread: O/T Cricket World Cup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,245

    O/T Cricket World Cup

    I don't like cricket, I love it! Who's gonna win the World Cup? England are the favourites and rightly so. I think they will win it but my dark horses are the West Indies. Wouldn't you just hate it if those f00king Aussies won it again! Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 25-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I don't like cricket, I love it! Who's gonna win the World Cup? England are the favourites and rightly so. I think they will win it but my dark horses are the West Indies. Wouldn't you just hate it if those f00king Aussies won it again! Any thoughts?
    Iím in the minority thinking cricket is the best game in the world, England should be favourites the way they play but donít rule out New Zealand and India.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,218
    I think the final 4 will be England India Australia and New Zealand.

    I’m not confident about NZ as you have WI and SA too but I like the bowlers they have for English conditions Southee Boult Ferguson.

    If the purists got there way it would be an England v India final I make us slight favourites but what I worry about is wearing pitches later on and we always have one shocker in us let’s hope if it does happen it’s in the group stages.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    I’m in the minority thinking cricket is the best game in the world, England should be favourites the way they play but don’t rule out New Zealand and India.
    I didn't say cricket was the best game in the world. But anyone else is entitled to their opinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    I’m in the minority thinking cricket is the best game in the world
    That's probably true on a Notts County Football Club message board. I was lucky/unlucky enough to be brought up a stone's throw from Notts CCC and the Temple of Sin and so became a junior member at NCCC, but because it was Notts, not cricket.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    That's probably true on a Notts County Football Club message board. I was lucky/unlucky enough to be brought up a stone's throw from Notts CCC and the Temple of Sin and so became a junior member at NCCC, but because it was Notts, not cricket.
    Me too. Used to go to Trent Bridge at every opportunity and loved attending the test matches as a junior member.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Me too. Used to go to Trent Bridge at every opportunity and loved attending the test matches as a junior member.
    The bonus of those test match tickets made the 2 quid (no pound sign on this keyboard) very good value. But those test matches all merge into one. I have memories of a very fat Australian collapsed amongst a mountain of used beer cans asking what the Nottingham fillies were like, and also of a West Indian singing grovel Greig to a Calypso beat, also played on beer cans. Can't have been the same game, can it? Whichever game it was, it was so hot I had to hold my head in a preserving pan of cold water later on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    That's probably true on a Notts County Football Club message board. I was lucky/unlucky enough to be brought up a stone's throw from Notts CCC and the Temple of Sin and so became a junior member at NCCC, but because it was Notts, not cricket.
    ..
    Well maybe I shouldn't have posted on a Notts County messageboard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    The bonus of those test match tickets made the 2 quid (no pound sign on this keyboard) very good value. But those test matches all merge into one. I have memories of a very fat Australian collapsed amongst a mountain of used beer cans asking what the Nottingham fillies were like, and also of a West Indian singing grovel Greig to a Calypso beat, also played on beer cans. Can't have been the same game, can it? Whichever game it was, it was so hot I had to hold my head in a preserving pan of cold water later on.
    Me and my mates used to go under the temporary stand collecting 'exotic' beer cans as souvenirs of those games

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,878
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Iím in the minority thinking cricket is the best game in the world, England should be favourites the way they play but donít rule out New Zealand and India.
    Haha I'm the opposite. You'd have to pay me to watch it. It just never clicked with me at all.

    I've only ever been to one live game of cricket - England vs India at Trent Bridge, about 15 years ago or more. I sat there all day not really getting what people were excited about, and then sometime late in the afternoon every stopped doing whatever they were doing on the pitch (or whatever it's called), had a chat, and decided the game would be a draw.

    What the **** is that all about?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,939
    ... it's not cricket, it's rounders ...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... it's not cricket, it's rounders ...
    Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Haha I'm the opposite. You'd have to pay me to watch it. It just never clicked with me at all.

    I've only ever been to one live game of cricket - England vs India at Trent Bridge, about 15 years ago or more. I sat there all day not really getting what people were excited about, and then sometime late in the afternoon every stopped doing whatever they were doing on the pitch (or whatever it's called), had a chat, and decided the game would be a draw.

    What the **** is that all about?
    Glad I have never been to a boring football match, each to there own.

    At international level for me

    1. Cricket
    2. Rugby Union
    3. Football

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,878
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Glad I have never been to a boring football match, each to there own.

    At international level for me

    1. Cricket
    2. Rugby Union
    3. Football
    I'm not all that bothered about any sport at international level to be honest. But I'll admit that I'm pretty narrow-minded when it comes other sports. Football is a lifelong obsession for me, and nothing else comes remotely close. I don't even know the rules of rugby or cricket.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,386
    Half the players don't even know the rules of rugby union. There are so many, that they've managed to wreck it as a spectacle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,588
    Cricket was almost right up there with football for me, watching Hadlee and Rice in the championship seasons.

    I've lost a lot of interest over the years. The sports badly run with too many variations of the game, I can't be bothered to keep up. Aussies getting away with sledging is another reason. If it's allowed in cricket, it should be allowed in golf, snooker and other sports (that'd make a black ball frame more interesting), or maybe try to be civilised instead and ban it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Cricket was almost right up there with football for me, watching Hadlee and Rice in the championship seasons. AND RANDALL !!!

    I've lost a lot of interest over the years. The sports badly run with too many variations of the game, I can't be bothered to keep up. Aussies getting away with sledging is another reason. If it's allowed in cricket, it should be allowed in golf, snooker and other sports (that'd make a black ball frame more interesting), or maybe try to be civilised instead and ban it.
    Added Arkle - sledging happens all the time in football but players arenít miked up.

    I love all forms 20 - 20, ODIís and Test match but Test matches are still my favourite - I can watch 5 days and still enjoy a draw but to some I know itís paint drying but 😏

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Iím in the minority thinking cricket is the best game in the world, England should be favourites the way they play but donít rule out New Zealand and India.
    After football, cricket is the most played sport in the world, so the minority you may be in is still a big one!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,423
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Added Arkle
    My boyhood cricketing hero. Best fielder in the game at the time by a country mile and when on form the most entertaining batsman too IMHO.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    My boyhood cricketing hero. Best fielder in the game at the time by a country mile and when on form the most entertaining batsman too IMHO.
    Yes listened all night on a crappy radio to his superb 174 against the Aussies.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,423
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Yes listened all night on a crappy radio to his superb 174 against the Aussies.
    Me too! Brilliant memories eh? Remember him getting hit on the head by that Dennis Lillee bouncer though - before the days of batting helmets being 'normal'. What a hero to get up and carry on like that. Also what a sportsman Rod Marsh was to tell the umpire the catch didn't carry on 161 and let him stay. Relive it here. Man of the match presentation at the end so thoroughly deserved...and all in front of the Queen too

    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-06-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •