+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing Books (Tips and Sh@t)

Writing Books (Tips and Sh@t)

I know one person of a certain vintage on here has written a book

Has anyone else succeeded or at least attempted it?

I have always wanted to do it and I have an idea with some potential that I'm away to start (I have another two ideas but they can wait)

Any tips?

How long did it take you?

How do you go about getting it published?

Writers block happen?

One thing I have is plenty of time due to my job and the fact I have an almost 5 year old. Which can only be a good thing.

First of all,get yourself a flamboyant hat.

After that it should all be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    I know one person of a certain vintage on here has written a book

Has anyone else succeeded or at least attempted it? Yes, twice and a couple of collaborations. Another two on the way

I have always wanted to do it and I have an idea with some potential that I'm away to start (I have another two ideas but they can wait)

Any tips? All the experts say "just write", and that's it. **** all will ever be worthy of publication if it disna exist. As Michael marra used to say of songwriting, "Write everything, you can aye chuck it oot if it's nae good". Protect your copyright. Give **** all away, even the fact that you're doing it. Some prick attempted to gazump me, using my sources, but never quoting my own MS, which he had obviously see, the ****ing thief. BACK EVERYTHING UP. BACK EVERYTHING UP. BACK EVERYTHING UP, and leave an updated flash drive away from yer hoose in case of fire, flood, pestilence or burglary

How long did it take you? Collaboration about a month to write and compile. Editing, layout and printing about another month. I think it was the same for the other two, but I just handed over the text on a memory stick.

How do you go about getting it published? Collaborative effort taken care of by the editor of the publication we all wrote for, so self-published. But that's a rocky road, with distribution the real pisser. One of the others saw me approached by a self-publisher with an editor an illustrator already in place.

Writers block happen? No. Factual, so it was research, get it doon, then edit. One of the 'projects' currently in train has a lot of ideas which exist in chapters, part-chapters, notes on my phone, scribbled-on hotel notepaper. It's in at least 3 historical sections, and I'm nae writing it chronologically, so stitching it together, and continuity-checking is going to be as big a task as typing the ****er oot.

One thing I have is plenty of time due to my job and the fact I have an almost 5 year old. Which can only be a good thing.
    Gie's a shout if you need assistance.

Good advice from vintage but I'd probably go with what donsdaft said.

Much appreciated.

What were your other books? Fitba related?

Nobody can steal it from me because its about stuff me and the wee dude have got/will get up to. I will back up over and over again. ill get it down and maybe come back to you. Maybe even get a blether at Kynoch one day as ill need to take Jnr up to add it to his list

I've sat "just writing" today and its coming together pretty nicely. A lot different from a TRF article. I'm home in a week and don't have much on barring a few random friendlies so will have a lot of time to play about

Everyone has a book in them so people say. I'm going to give it a go as I like this idea that's in my heid

They always say you should write about what you know. I was thinking about maybe writing a guidebook for skiving at work. All the secrets for looking busy without actually doing anything. I’m world class at it.

Seems like hard work though.

Is it on your football trips? That'll be shite. Write it on your life as a struggling rent boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Write it on your life as a struggling rent boy.
    Nobody would publish it.

Depends on the size of your hat

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Depends on the size of your hat
    I imagine the flamboyance also plays an important role too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast