+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downing

Downing

I actually don't mind this one if we can get him on much lower wages. I just feel we are getting in a squad player, like Conway was, but with tonnes of experience. He's a winger in the old fashion sense. And for all we know he may've worked closely with Harry Chapman in their time at Boro? Same position, one offers lots of defensive cover the other more attacking. Used correctly over a season, he could be an upgrade on last season. Especially when we had to dig deep last year, when we had those 2 months of losses, the quality coming in (due to a build up of injuries & suspensions) wasn't good enough. So I feel we do need to address the quality.
    I think TM will also be looking at Downing, as they know one another v well, with maybe a coaching role in mind after the end if he was to retire. Also, we haven't had an English international (with over 50 caps) playing for us for years now. And I feel we need to raise the standards. Especially with such a special group of young players all coming through. We simply can't play all these lads together in the 1st team, they need seasoned pro's around then. But ones with high standards. Downing at 34 won't be starting every game. He could however have an impact on the squad, and we need to be looking to do the same in certain areas.

I too am warming to this one.
    Originally I was very tepid on this transfer but experience counts a lot,especially round a predominantly young squad.

As per another thread Conway has been a great servant and I wouldn't have objected to another year at Ewood.

Assuming their salaries are similar Downing in and Conway out seems a no brainer.

Hello, all.
    Back after a brilliant month's holiday.
    I've looked in from time to time, but I find this time of year frustrating from a football point-of view. The agents run around, touting their players as if they are all the new Messi, while the desperate journalists simply repeat old stories, or invent a few rumours.
    If you look at the BBC's list of Championship signings so far, the vast majority are "free transfers" or "unattached".
    The real deals are going on behind closed doors.
    I wouldn't mind Downing, either. I'm a bit wary because of Murphy and Whittingham, but this guy has always been an exemplary professional, and it helps that he knows TM.
    The fact that Rangers are after him must lessen our chances, however.
    I'd be quite happy with an extra powerful centre-back, an experienced creative (central) midfielder, and a target-man to cover Graham.
    Beyond that, I think we have reasonable blend of experience and fast-improving youngsters.
    If we DO get Downing, I'm assuming Gladwin will move on.

Glen Whelan now being mentioned ..... how old is Ronaldo?

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    Glen Whelan now being mentioned ..... how old is Ronaldo?

played a very important role for Villa last season and was instrumental in them going up. Plus they chose to play him the bigger games. Getting on a bit, but a far far better option that both Smallwood and Evans. And offer us defensive cover. Something we desperately lack.
    These are the exact type of players I think we need, and should be going for.

This time last season, we were linked with both John McGinn and Dylan McGeouch of Hibs. The latter went to Sunderland on a short contract, but isn't happy with how few games he's had.
    I remember the Hibs fans saying the two were of similar ability, and we've seen how well McGinn has performed, so I wonder if there's any possibility we could be looking at McGeouch again.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    This time last season, we were linked with both John McGinn and Dylan McGeouch of Hibs. The latter went to Sunderland on a short contract, but isn't happy with how few games he's had.
    I remember the Hibs fans saying the two were of similar ability, and we've seen how well McGinn has performed, so I wonder if there's any possibility we could be looking at McGeouch again.

And Luke Freeman from QPR, who got player of the season and had a good impact again. Pity we where unable to get him in, who I also believe would have had a positive impact on us.
    McGinn is not good enough for the Prem so it will be interesting to see where he ends up. He will stop with Villa until they realise the same.

To be fair, all our targets last summer, all went onto have decent seasons, showing we at least identified good players. We just lost out because we could afford any of them. The actual players we are in for, are decent. If only we got bigger crowds we could really challenge. But we are where we are.

One thing that's been nagging away at me all afternoon. I wabt to correct what I said above, as it's annoyed me when I've thought about it.
    Glenn Whelan, ok played a fair bit for Villa last season, did well. But I had to go check and I'm correct! Mulgrew is 4 years younger!!!! So going for someone like Whelan makes no sense at all. Mulgrew has become a liability at Centre half. But he does give us goals, corners, free kicks and pens are sorted when he plays. Put him in alongside Travis & Davenport and surley he can utilise his passing ability? TM will say his legs won't allow him to be effective, but I actually disagree. With the right CM's with him, he could be decent enough to unlock to oppo, and get Dack, BB and Armstrong on the ball. Whelan is much older! He won't have much more in him, anymore than Charlie. And we keep his set piece/goal threat. Which again, is very effective. Whelan wouldn't have played all the time, but neither will Mulgrew. And is Evans actually any worse than Whelan? We desperately need a new commanding CB along side Lenihan. That's priority no1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)