+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downing

Could not agree anymore.
    Downing yes,whelan no
    A hold up forward and a solid centre back next to lenihan is an absolute must.
    Personally I wouldn't mind a decent right and a left back coming in,but understand in our situation money doesn't grow on trees.

I don't entirely agree about McGinn, Champs, in the sense that the PL is actually TWO divisions. He's probably going to be competitive in the bottom 12, where Villa will be battling for a place. This is is the issue for all the clubs outside the elite.

Whenever I saw him play, he didn't shine. Or give me the impression that he was better than anything at this level. He was ok, but I think you need more to make an impact at the level above. Dack is a step up (albeit a different position) and I remain unconvinced he could make the step up. I don't think Mcginn is any better than Travis.

I think Travis will have to improve his distribution before he is on a level with McGinn.
    As with a number of our players (Rothwell, Armstrong, Bennett, Nyambe, Bell), the final pass was often Travis's downfall.
    Obviously, that final pass is always the most difficult because it's inevitably into a more crowded area of the pitch, but I thought our percentages were regularly below what is needed to make us truly effective.
    Oddly, during that good spell in January, it was Corry Evans who suddenly started to deliver the goods in that respect, but he then fell back into "safe" mode.
    Incidentally, I watched the Gibraltar-Georgia game. This lad Annesley looked quite promising although he wasn't actually playing as a centre-back. The only thing is, he needs to put on about three stones in weight. He is a real bean-pole at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think Travis will have to improve his distribution before he is on a level with McGinn.
    As with a number of our players (Rothwell, Armstrong, Bennett, Nyambe, Bell), the final pass was often Travis's downfall.
    Obviously, that final pass is always the most difficult because it's inevitably into a more crowded area of the pitch, but I thought our percentages were regularly below what is needed to make us truly effective.
    Oddly, during that good spell in January, it was Corry Evans who suddenly started to deliver the goods in that respect, but he then fell back into "safe" mode.
    Incidentally, I watched the Gibraltar-Georgia game. This lad Annesley looked quite promising although he wasn't actually playing as a centre-back. The only thing is, he needs to put on about three stones in weight. He is a real bean-pole at the moment.

Travis is much younger, and only played half a season of professional football. All at the second tier of English football. McGinn is older, and more experienced, and didn't to me stand out. He just looked ok.
    So did Trav, no better no worse. But one is very wet behind the ears and got better, the more he played.
    McGinn - 24 years old. 228 league games.
    Travis - 21 years old. 31 league games (alot as sub)
    One is actually quite experienced, one is very much learning his trade.
    By the time Travis is 24, he will likely be playing in the Prem.
    I do not think this lad will be playing in the Prem in the next 2 seasons. Decent enough Champ player, but not good enough to step up.
    The one thing you will always get with young players is inconsistency. I do agree he needs to improve his passing, but hopefully that will come in time. He came in the side during a very tough spell, and came out the other side better for it I thought. During a time alot of our players hit poor form, he wasnt excatly coming into a confident side offering him much protection. He was left totally exposed most of the time I thought.

That's why I was so critical of Rothwell. He is what I call a head down and run type of footballer. He isn't gifted with any kind of positional play. He just runs, head down, into blind alleys. He rarely picks a killer pass.
    He can beat a man, and we don't have many of those in our squad. TM had to keep him back so long, as not matter what a nice player he is, he simply didn't have a clue about tracking back, or working hard for the team. That is still an issue with him. I just don't feel he brings enough at the other end. If Dack went, he would not be the answer to replace him. He hasn't got the discipline to play in such an important position. I remain very unsold of him.

I don't mind having one Rothwell-type in a team, because you get that element of unpredictability. It can be frustrating, though - remember King and Hoilett. Eventually, both of them became more consistent (not with us, unfortunately!), and the same might be true of Rothwell.
    In Dack, Chapman and Rothwell, we have three genuine flair-players. It will be interesting to see how they are used.
    I think you are being a bit harsh on McGinn. I would snap him up for Rovers. Yes, Travis might match him eventually, but McGinn is the finished product, and a very good play-maker at Championship level...and that is something we lack.

Grealish is that person. He will go on and have a career in the top flight. Mcginn will end up in the Champ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)