Get your very own personalised Baggies Banter gifts!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 133 of 133

Thread: Cricket World Cup

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,541
    Why all this pouring out of admiration for New Zealand or any body else.nobody gives 2f#cks about England.we have had a few New Zealand moments remember the welsh football team in the euros cheering when we lost.and how many more.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,509
    Not the biggest fan of cricket over the years and the wife was watching the men's Wimbledon final. That said I always want mommy's little soldiers to do well and tracked the run rates via the BBC website with interest. Kevin Peterson remarked in the text that England's bowling had been tight and compact but I couldn't believe they conceded thirty runs through extras. That's terrible.

    My dad loved cricket and I really wanted to see how things panned out for his memory as much as anything and we changed channels as they were getting ready for the super over. Fantastic win and all of the drama cricket seemed to lack when I played the game through heavy eye lids as a kid. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed playing cricket against a lamp post, in the play ground or in the park with mates but the organised game left me cold so I never pursued it.

    Well done on the win England, absolutely chuffed for the regular supporters who follow the game.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    And now we have won I do feel smug as the only one on here who said we would or even that we had a chance.

    I did get very annoyed at the lack of respect shown to English Cricket over the last 4 years for changing us from the worst ODI team to the very best.

    Great game, rub of the green went very much England's way. Agree with whay Leics said aboout NZ being the better team on the day but Eng being the best overall.

    FWIW I think we will lose the Ashes.



    Not if we let Jason Roy open the batting, surely after struggling so long with the poor efforts we have tried a man that can actually bat and score quickly should be in the test side. He knows better than to take the limited overs stance yet he still scores freely the man has no fear.

  4. #124
    No3 has been a big problem for us. If Root won't move up I would promote the batsman with the best technique and for me that's Ben Stokes.
    Would you play Broad?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    And now we have won I do feel smug as the only one on here who said we would or even that we had a chance.

    I did get very annoyed at the lack of respect shown to English Cricket over the last 4 years for changing us from the worst ODI team to the very best.

    Great game, rub of the green went very much England's way. Agree with whay Leics said aboout NZ being the better team on the day but Eng being the best overall.

    FWIW I think we will lose the Ashes.
    Smug is never a good look in life 923.

    Even you must surely admit that Root got it appallingly wrong in the final and got us well behind the rate again with a strike rate of 23 per 100 balls?

    Morgan at 40 per 100 wasn’t helpful either and considering he was the architect of “brave new cricket” both him and Root put us in a hole yesterday.

    Every other batter bar Woakes who scored at 50 per 100 managed to score at 85-90 per 100 and all credit to them for that.

    Quite ironic that the two England captains almost shot us in the foot!

    Regarding the Ashes.

    I think we’ll win IF we get selection right.

    The top three positions are a real problem over the last few years.

    I would certainly not pick Jennings or Ballance again.

    I’d be tossing a coin on Burns....too many moving parts to his batting for me,absolutely hideous to watch and a walking wicket for Starc I think.

    I’d be tempted to try to shake up the “status quo” expected by the Aussies and go with Bairstow and Roy to open.

    Three and four would be Root and Stokes with Buttler at five but possibly as specialist batsman because Foakes is the best keeper in the country and a high quality batsman to boot!

    I love little Curran as well with both his batting and his swing bowling and a very capable number seven.

    Moin’s batting at eight with his off spin and then the pace of Archer and an okay bat at nine with Broad and Anderson to finish it off.

    The bowling of,

    Anderson

    Broad

    Archer

    Stokes

    Moin

    Curran

    Root

    Covers all options of pace,guile,bounce,left arm swing,off spin.

    Arguments for Rashid and Wood based on resting players and pitch conditions but for me that batting line up had the ability to get us over 400 regularly.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,967
    Cheers Phil

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Smug is never a good look in life 923.

    Even you must surely admit that Root got it appallingly wrong in the final and got us well behind the rate again with a strike rate of 23 per 100 balls?

    Morgan at 40 per 100 wasn’t helpful either and considering he was the architect of “brave new cricket” both him and Root put us in a hole yesterday.

    Every other batter bar Woakes who scored at 50 per 100 managed to score at 85-90 per 100 and all credit to them for that.

    Quite ironic that the two England captains almost shot us in the foot!

    Regarding the Ashes.

    I think we’ll win IF we get selection right.

    The top three positions are a real problem over the last few years.

    I would certainly not pick Jennings or Ballance again.

    I’d be tossing a coin on Burns....too many moving parts to his batting for me,absolutely hideous to watch and a walking wicket for Starc I think.

    I’d be tempted to try to shake up the “status quo” expected by the Aussies and go with Bairstow and Roy to open.

    Three and four would be Root and Stokes with Buttler at five but possibly as specialist batsman because Foakes is the best keeper in the country and a high quality batsman to boot!

    I love little Curran as well with both his batting and his swing bowling and a very capable number seven.

    Moin’s batting at eight with his off spin and then the pace of Archer and an okay bat at nine with Broad and Anderson to finish it off.

    The bowling of,

    Anderson

    Broad

    Archer

    Stokes

    Moin

    Curran

    Root

    Covers all options of pace,guile,bounce,left arm swing,off spin.

    Arguments for Rashid and Wood based on resting players and pitch conditions but for me that batting line up had the ability to get us over 400 regularly.
    I have no problem with beiing smug because I was the only one that had the faith in the best ODI side in the world by some distance. If we win the Ashes with Roy and Bairstow getting us a 100 before lunch, Foakes taking catches and stumpings and your bowling line up winning us matches then you would have every right to be smug. And I am very confident you would be!

    I'm going to pick holes in it but. On Sunday four of us picked our Ashes team and they were all very different and none of us were happy with our selections. Contrast with WC team where 10 were automatic picks at the outset with only one change for the final.

    Your team. We start with 2 openers neither of whom have opened in Test Match Cricket before. We follow that with the problem No3 position. After that weak start you have 6,7,8 all batting one too high up the order for me. You have 4 front line seamers plus Stokes that for me is 1 too many. One has to go to strenghten the bating.The spinner is a problem. They always say an all rounder can only play if one of his discplines is good denough on its own. You can't play Ali at 8 for his batting but is he England's best spinner? The incumbent is Jack Leach and he is taking plenty of wickets for Somerset but his averages suggest he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. tSo that means Archer 8 Broad 9 Anderson 10. I feel 250-5 becoming 280 ao now.

    I see there are injury doubts about Anderson Wood and Archer.

    I wrote my own side down but looking it again I'm going to take the cowards way out and have another think.

    I will throw 2 new batters into the mix. My mate who is member at Kent says Sam Northeast is the man. Leading the County averages is Sibley at Warwick (he scored 70+ for the Lions v Aus A today and Curran 6 wickets + 30+ no.) Anyone seen him play? Any comments?

    I will take a bit solace in the Aussie Test side. My fears were mostly based on what their attack did to us last time down under but their pace will be blunted by English conditions. And their batting outside Smith and Warner is no more settled than ours.

    So I've changed my mind. Full of bravado after the last few weeks I go England to do the double
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 16-07-2019 at 07:38 PM.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I have no problem with beiing smug because I was the only one that had the faith in the best ODI side in the world by some distance. If we win the Ashes with Roy and Bairstow getting us a 100 before lunch, Foakes taking catches and stumpings and your bowling line up winning us matches then you would have every right to be smug. And I am very confident you would be!

    I'm going to pick holes in it but. On Sunday four of us picked our Ashes team and they were all very different and none of us were happy with our selections. Contrast with WC team where 10 were automatic picks at the outset with only one change for the final.

    Your team. We start with 2 openers neither of whom have opened in Test Match Cricket before. We follow that with the problem No3 position. After that weak start you have 6,7,8 all batting one too high up the order for me. You have 4 front line seamers plus Stokes that for me is 1 too many. One has to go to strenghten the bating.The spinner is a problem. They always say an all rounder can only play if one of his discplines is good denough on its own. You can't play Ali at 8 for his batting but is he England's best spinner? The incumbent is Jack Leach and he is taking plenty of wickets for Somerset but his averages suggest he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. tSo that means Archer 8 Broad 9 Anderson 10. I feel 250-5 becoming 280 ao now.

    I see there are injury doubts about Anderson Wood and Archer.

    I wrote my own side down but looking it again I'm going to take the cowards way out and have another think.

    I will throw 2 new batters into the mix. My mate who is member at Kent says Sam Northeast is the man. Leading the County averages is Sibley at Warwick (he scored 70+ for the Lions v Aus A today and Curran 6 wickets + 30+ no.) Anyone seen him play? Any comments?

    I will take a bit solace in the Aussie Test side. My fears were mostly based on what their attack did to us last time down under but their pace will be blunted by English conditions. And their batting outside Smith and Warner is no more settled than ours.

    So I've changed my mind. Full of bravado after the last few weeks I go England to do the double
    I’d lose the will to live dissecting that twenty line middle paragraph so I’ll keep it short and say you’re over thinking it imo.

    Our top three including Cook have been woeful in the main since Strauss retired and certainly in the last three years.

    I’m not bothered that Bairstow and Roy haven’t opened at test match level.....they’ve proved themselves in 50 over cricket and surely can’t be any worse than Burns,Stoneman,Jennings,Lyth and all of the other failures we’ve had.

    On SKY’s debate programme they were all saying it was time for Stokes to move up the order.

    What pees me off with Root is that he’s desperate to bat at three in 50 over cricket but has a complex about doing it in tests.....he needs to “mon up” as we say around these parts.

    Buttler at five makes sense given his quality.

    I like Foakes a lot because he’s a brilliant keeper and a quality,correct batsman but if Northeast is playing well I must admit he’s a pleasing batsman to watch.

    Curran proved his worth with the bat last summer and could easily play at seven but I’ll be happy if Woakes gets the gig especially at Edgbaston.

    Moin bats better at 7/8 than he does higher up and he’s our best spinner and proven.

    9,10 and 11 have to be Archer,Broad and Anderson 923......we can’t start worrying about their batting output this time around,we need to take wickets and get Smith and co early.

    It could well be a low scoring series with the best bowling side winning it rather than the bat being the kingpin.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I have no problem with beiing smug because I was the only one that had the faith in the best ODI side in the world by some distance. If we win the Ashes with Roy and Bairstow getting us a 100 before lunch, Foakes taking catches and stumpings and your bowling line up winning us matches then you would have every right to be smug. And I am very confident you would be!

    I'm going to pick holes in it but. On Sunday four of us picked our Ashes team and they were all very different and none of us were happy with our selections. Contrast with WC team where 10 were automatic picks at the outset with only one change for the final.

    Your team. We start with 2 openers neither of whom have opened in Test Match Cricket before. We follow that with the problem No3 position. After that weak start you have 6,7,8 all batting one too high up the order for me. You have 4 front line seamers plus Stokes that for me is 1 too many. One has to go to strenghten the bating.The spinner is a problem. They always say an all rounder can only play if one of his discplines is good denough on its own. You can't play Ali at 8 for his batting but is he England's best spinner? The incumbent is Jack Leach and he is taking plenty of wickets for Somerset but his averages suggest he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. tSo that means Archer 8 Broad 9 Anderson 10. I feel 250-5 becoming 280 ao now.

    I see there are injury doubts about Anderson Wood and Archer.

    I wrote my own side down but looking it again I'm going to take the cowards way out and have another think.

    I will throw 2 new batters into the mix. My mate who is member at Kent says Sam Northeast is the man. Leading the County averages is Sibley at Warwick (he scored 70+ for the Lions v Aus A today and Curran 6 wickets + 30+ no.) Anyone seen him play? Any comments?

    I will take a bit solace in the Aussie Test side. My fears were mostly based on what their attack did to us last time down under but their pace will be blunted by English conditions. And their batting outside Smith and Warner is no more settled than ours.

    So I've changed my mind. Full of bravado after the last few weeks I go England to do the double
    Sam Northeast would be good shout although he has left Kent now. Another I would like to throw into the mix is Zak Crawley who has impressed me a lot this season. Only a youngster but may get his chance if the openers fail in this Ashes series.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,150
    We can't go into an Ashes Test Series with might's and maybe's, the obvious choice is Jason Roy, proven run maker and has absolutely no fear of the Australian attack. Fight fire with fire.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    We can't go into an Ashes Test Series with might's and maybe's, the obvious choice is Jason Roy, proven run maker and has absolutely no fear of the Australian attack. Fight fire with fire.
    Absolutely agree he blows hot & cold but when he's hot he's a fantastic batsman , he has to control his shot choice but only he can do that much the same as Finch for the Aussies.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    No3 has been a big problem for us. If Root won't move up I would promote the batsman with the best technique and for me that's Ben Stokes.
    Would you play Broad?
    Without playing limited overs shots early in his innings Jos Buttler showed a lot of class going along at a run a ball with ease versus New Zealand.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Absolutely agree he blows hot & cold but when he's hot he's a fantastic batsman , he has to control his shot choice but only he can do that much the same as Finch for the Aussies.
    Sorry to disillusion you but Finch has been a failure at Test Cricket. He has only played 5 Tests averaged 28 and was then dropped. He probably won't even make their Ashes squad.

    Having said that I think we must play Roy and hope he doesn't do the sames as Finch.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •