+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The retained list 2019

The retained list 2019

First-team squad players under contract: Scott Carson, Andre Wisdom, Craig Forsyth, Richard Keogh, Martyn Waghorn, Tom Lawrence, Florian Jozefzoon, Jack Marriott, Bradley Johnson, George Evans, Jacob Butterfield, Chris Martin, Mason Bennett, Kelle Roos, Nick Blackman, Duane Holmes, Max Lowe, Ikechi Anya, Curtis Davies, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Jayden Bogle, Luke Thomas, Max Bird, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Malone.

First-team squad players in discussion over new terms: Craig Bryson.

First-team squad players not currently offered new terms: Efe Ambrose, Alex Pearce, Ashley Cole, David Nugent, Marcus Olsson.

Based on personal opinion, knowledge and some rumour........

Carson will leave as he won't want to play 2nd fiddle to anyone.
    Wilson will probably go. Definitely so if Bogle stays.
    Forsyth has a year left on his contract. Most of that will be spent getting back to match fitness. Offer 50% and make him a free agent.
    Johnson, rumours that he, Butterfield and Blackman have got a 1 year extension on lower wages as that is, somehow, good for FFP.
    Martin will be out on loan again or in the Stands.
    Anya. Will he be left out in the cold again or will he go, either sold or loaned out?
    Davies, Same as Forsyth.
    GT. If fit immense but we have to seriously doubt that he will get and stay fit. Shame.
    Pearce has already signed a pre-contract with Millwall
    Cole. I expect him to be back helping to coach the full backs and also registered to play as and when necessary.
    Bryson. I think he would be better suited to a return to Scotland. If he stays I will back him 100%

"Wilson will probably go". I think that's a fair bet since he's not under contract with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    "Wilson will probably go". I think that's a fair bet since he's not under contract with us?
    Typo well spotted GP. Thanks. I did, of course, mean Wisdom.

I can see far more point in retaining Wisdom than Bryson and I’ll be astonished and disappointed if Butterfield remains anywhere near our club.
    We’ll miss Wilson’s goals but not his tiresomely repetitive histrionics and, despite the fact that I rate his ability, the sooner Anya goes the better too imo.

Extending someone's contract an extra year at reduced wages is good for FFP? I can see that this would give the club an extra year to spread the cost of the incoming transfer fee across but its a bizarre way to improve the FFP position when we have already pulled a stroke by "selling the ground".

Johnson I can see getting an extention on playing grounds, but Buttercup and Blackie, no way does that make sense unless we have a pre arranged 2019-20 loan deals that cover the reduced wages?

Extending someone's contract an extra year at reduced wages is good for FFP? I can see that this would give the club an extra year to spread the cost of the incoming transfer fee across but its a bizarre way to improve the FFP position when we have already pulled a stroke by "selling the ground".

Johnson I can see getting an extention on playing grounds, but Buttercup and Blackie, no way does that make sense unless we have a pre arranged 2019-20 loan deals that cover the reduced wages?
    Geoff glad you understand it because I'm lost .I've read somewhere Butters and Blackie will be leaving on June 30 Was thinking of getting an extension myself but don't think I'll bother now

I can only think it sort of goes like this:

Lets say a player initially signs for 4 years for £ 4 million and is on 500,000 wages a year.

The annual FFP hit is £ 1.5 million per year.

If he is deemed worthless to us but can be loaned out for 300,000 a year, then his annual FFP cost nets down to £ 1.2 million.

If in the final year of his contract he is extended another year at a lower wage of, say, 250k,per year then:

1) we write off the final tranche of his transfer fee across 2 years not one which = 500k pa
    2) so the first year cost is that 500k + 500k wages less 300k loan fee = 700k (instead of 1.2m) FFP hit
    3) in the extra year the hit is 500k transfer fee + 250k wages less 300k loan fee = 450k (instead of nil) FFP hit

Thus the overall cost is a little down by extending the contract and the cost is spread over an extra year (albeit that there is the three year rolling effect)

I have no clue if this is what is meant, but mathematically it is possible to extend a contract and reduce FFP hit in this sort of circumstance because you can spread the transfer fee over a longer period, but it only works well if you can offset the extra wages cost with a loan fee coming in

Its a mid-table squad. Going to need some talent to make a difference.

I can only think it sort of goes like this:

Lets say a player initially signs for 4 years for £ 4 million and is on 500,000 wages a year.

The annual FFP hit is £ 1.5 million per year.

If he is deemed worthless to us but can be loaned out for 300,000 a year, then his annual FFP cost nets down to £ 1.2 million.

If in the final year of his contract he is extended another year at a lower wage of, say, 250k,per year then:

1) we write off the final tranche of his transfer fee across 2 years not one which = 500k pa
    2) so the first year cost is that 500k + 500k wages less 300k loan fee = 700k (instead of 1.2m) FFP hit
    3) in the extra year the hit is 500k transfer fee + 250k wages less 300k loan fee = 450k (instead of nil) FFP hit

Thus the overall cost is a little down by extending the contract and the cost is spread over an extra year (albeit that there is the three year rolling effect)

I have no clue if this is what is meant, but mathematically it is possible to extend a contract and reduce FFP hit in this sort of circumstance because you can spread the transfer fee over a longer period, but it only works well if you can offset the extra wages cost with a loan fee coming in
    Geoff thanks for that it's a little clearer now I believe Wolves did something very similar with some of their Portugues stars,when they got promoted Although I'm in business myself the economics go over my head sometimes that's why I need accountants

Or woodwork teachers 😁😁😁

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)