+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Schofield

Ryan Schofield

Is in goal for England u20 in Toulon.

That is all.

He'll no doubt go on to have a good career. Looked what he is, a bit inexperienced and indecisive at times, but that's perfectly understandable for a lad playing his first few professional games. Still made some good stops though. He certainly has the physical attributes for a modern goalkeeper.

I saw the goals on Sky and unfortunately his Notts form continued for England in a 3-2 defeat. He was at fault for the first when he was beaten at the near post from an acute angle and was beaten to the ball when attempting to punch a cross for the second.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    He'll no doubt go on to have a good career. Looked what he is, a bit inexperienced and indecisive at times, but that's perfectly understandable for a lad playing his first few professional games. Still made some good stops though. He certainly has the physical attributes for a modern goalkeeper.
    I'm not so sure. For me, he didn't seem to have the basics of goalkeeping: the ability to command his area, and the physicality to not be bullied by the opposition. If he's to make it, he needs to learn these things and fast, and he needs to bulk up too. I wouldn't even say he's a great shot-stopper - some of the goals he conceded seemed to go right through him.

Ryan Schofield was one of the mistakes of last season which combined to relegate the club. he was untried, untested and totally unsuited to league 2 football. His hesitancy in deciding when and when not to come out and be brave & positive cost us goals and points. In short he was/is no better than what we already had. Another example in a long list of loanees from clubs above us who come in and contribute nothing.

We was in a no win situation. Schofield was the best we could have got and we needed to replace Fitzsimmons as his confidence was shot. Sadly, there was no Russell Hoult type we desperately needed waiting in the wings this time

And a goalkeeping coach that seemed incapable of improving any of our keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    We was in a no win situation. Schofield was the best we could have got and we needed to replace Fitzsimmons as his confidence was shot. Sadly, there was no Russell Hoult type we desperately needed waiting in the wings this time
    I actually think Fitz is a better keeper though.

In the lower leagues you need a big rough keeper than dominates the box. I’m not bothered if he is a great “shot stopper” as most goals are scruffy at our level.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I actually think Fitz is a better keeper though.
    He probably is, but he was shocking and his confidence was in the gutter and needed removing from the firing line. The decision not to have a decent back up royally screwed us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast