+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was D-Day.....Dispensable ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Perhaps it's as well the Strategic Bombing campaign was curtailed for D Day preperations, the indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas on such a scale would surely constitute a war crime and trials in The Hague in this day and age. I'm not convinced it wasn't a war crime even back then.
    My dearly departed dad who fought with the Gurkhas in Burma and was as patriotic as you could get, said Bomber Harris was totally wrong in bombing Dresden into oblivion. All's fair in love and war I reckon, but will someone please tell me why a 76 year old British paratrooper is in the dock whilst the serial lunatics are all commemorating the D-Day landings?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    My dearly departed dad who fought with the Gurkhas in Burma and was as patriotic as you could get, said Bomber Harris was totally wrong in bombing Dresden into oblivion. All's fair in love and war I reckon, but will someone please tell me why a 76 year old British paratrooper is in the dock whilst the serial lunatics are all commemorating the D-Day landings?
    You know the answer BT, I keep,saying it, because we live in a lunatic asylum.

My dad never fought with the Gurkhas, he was in the RN, but I can remember him saying that if you asked any British soldier, during or after the war, which troops he wanted fighting alongside him, there was only ever one answer, the Gurkhas.

My dad revered them sinkov and could never understand why they had to fight to get their pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    My dad revered them sinkov and could never understand why they had to fight to get their pensions.
    My dad was exactly the same.
    When he was in the north African desert all the Brits were told to ensure that they laced their shoes the British way with the laces straight across. He found out why when he was laying lines (Royal Corps of Signals) in front of the front line one night when he got a tap on the shoulder and an "OK Tommy!" A Ghurka had crept up behind him and felt his shoe laces ---he had not felt a thing and, had his laces been done the wrong way, he probably would not have felt the Kukri until too late. He was in awe of their prowess.
    This was about the only tale that he would tell about WWII although he was angry about the American involvement at Cassino in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Perhaps it's as well the Strategic Bombing campaign was curtailed for D Day preperations, the indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas on such a scale would surely constitute a war crime and trials in The Hague in this day and age. I'm not convinced it wasn't a war crime even back then.
    well Sinkov....it seems the Strategic bombing (industrial targets) was working - before it was curtailed for the D-Day effort....but the indiscriminate bombing of civilians was firslty, a British strategy - Hamburg july 1943 killed around 40 thousand civillians.....these day's - can distance themselves through a Proxy War - as they did in Libya.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)