+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Jeremy corbyn

And right on cue Kerr buggers off yet again
    No wonder raging gets frustrated with him

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I am about as far right as Winnie-the-Pooh is. I am not a racist and would never support anyone who was a racist and the fact I support Farage on the matter of Brexit must tell you what I think about him.

I never take anything at face value and do my homework on things that interest me. I was involved in local politics for many years in my younger days and always try to keep up to date with what is happening around the world with a lot of focus on EU and American politics as well as our own.

I would say that Farage and the Brexit party are center right without question but others may disagree.
    Ok. Fair enough.

So on a scale of extreme Left to Extreme Right, where would you put Corbyn, Tom Watson, May, Johnson, Dom Raab, Kier Starmer, Rees-Mogg, Steve Baker, John Macdonald, Diane Abbot, Mike Gove, Amber Rudd, Anna Soubry, Vince Cable, Chuka Umuna, Gerard Batten.

Be interested in anyones thoughts on this. I know Fire would say Corbs, Abbot and MccyD Extreme left and all the rest Centre Left Namby Pambies except Farage and Batten.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    ??? Just wondering.

I am really interested to know what people's views of the political wings are.

Obviously you are (now) in agreement that extreme right is around where the Nazis were. I would say far right is around BNP/NF standings.

I would like to know because if I tell people I am voting the Brexit party I am interested in how I'm judged? Would you think I' would be supporting a party along the lines of the BNP? In which case you would probably class me as a racist?

Far right is just negative stance on people from other countries, seeing them as inferior in any way, not as good (in whatever your measuring as good) as the home country. And then focusing on stopping them coming/removing them from your home country. If politicians have a flavour of those stances they are far right by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Far right is just negative stance on people from other countries, seeing them as inferior in any way, not as good (in whatever your measuring as good) as the home country. And then focusing on stopping them coming/removing them from your home country. If politicians have a flavour of those stances they are far right by definition.
    That's racism not 'far right'. This is the problem with labelling people who are likely to hold a complex range of views rather than sitting in the neat boxes that such an approach requires.

Farage has a German wife, which suggests that any negative views on foreigners that he holds have caveats. I can understand why you prefer to talk about him than your man Corbyn though.

They love to stick a label on things here.

Got me thinking. Could it be reasonable to call Labour the Anti British Party?

Ok. Fair enough.

So on a scale of extreme Left to Extreme Right, where would you put Corbyn, Tom Watson, May, Johnson, Dom Raab, Kier Starmer, Rees-Mogg, Steve Baker, John Macdonald, Diane Abbot, Mike Gove, Amber Rudd, Anna Soubry, Vince Cable, Chuka Umuna, Gerard Batten.

Be interested in anyones thoughts on this. I know Fire would say Corbs, Abbot and MccyD Extreme left and all the rest Centre Left Namby Pambies except Farage and Batten.
    Just when I begin to realise some of your views on the Labour party may be genuine you go & spoil it.
    Who's John MacDonald?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Just when I begin to realise some of your views on the Labour party may be genuine you go & spoil it.
    Who's John MacDonald?
    lol. Bloody auto correct on phone! Mcdonnell!

lol. Bloody auto correct on phone! Mcdonnell!
    Still not got it right but worthy try
    John McDonnell after all he is "your man" [as Kerr would say] or one of them

Ok. Fair enough.

I dont think you could call any of them as either extreme left or extreme right. Batten is far right but I would not go as far as to extreme right. The rest are mainly ( Labour) left or center left - (Conservatives) right and center right - (Lib Dems) Center right.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    That's racism not 'far right'. This is the problem with labelling people who are likely to hold a complex range of views rather than sitting in the neat boxes that such an approach requires.

Farage has a German wife, which suggests that any negative views on foreigners that he holds have caveats. I can understand why you prefer to talk about him than your man Corbyn though.
    As the topic was on far right/left I looked up the commonly agreed definition, which is that:

Right-wing populism, a political ideology that often combines laissez-faire capitalism, nationalism, ethnocentrism and anti-elitism, is sometimes described as far-right.[14][15] Right-wing populism often involves appeals to the "common man" and opposition to immigration.[16][1] Far-right politics sometimes involves anti-immigration and anti-integration stances towards groups that are deemed inferior and undesirable.

If you don't like that, take it up with Wiki. Or say what you mean by it, if you have a different interpretation.

Yes such labels are problematic but useful in defining stances. I can see why you are uncomfortable with them.

Re: Corbyn I would say that he is historically far left. But since coming into a position of responsibility has become 'left wing'. I'm not hiding behind the 'oh, they're all centre left/right'. His old far left stance when he made dubious decisions, albeit for what he deemed to be just causes, look naive and works against him much in his new 'position of responsibility'. As I said earlier, it's too much baggage to sustain and I would like a successor that keeps the manifesto but with less easily targeted historical baggage. I would defend him to the hilt on his stance on criticising Israel but I would also like him to be more active in condemning Palestine. I have no problem in his position on opposing UK stance on Ireland back then, and such criticism played a part (with other figures) in eventually getting heads together for the good Friday agreement.

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast