+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Jeremy corbyn

Anyone a fag paper to the right of Joseph Stalin is far right, Alt-Right, Nazi etc... according to the outrage mob. The terms have lost all meaning and the world has gone mad, may have a little to do with this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk9a5Jcd1k&t=6s

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    Anyone a fag paper to the right of Joseph Stalin is far right, Alt-Right, Nazi etc... according to the outrage mob. The terms have lost all meaning and the world has gone mad, may have a little to do with this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk9a5Jcd1k&t=6s
    From the old meaning of left and right you are correct as it no longer represents what it once did, however, the terms are generally in or around the same area on 75% of the old meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    As the topic was on far right/left I looked up the commonly agreed definition, which is that:

Right-wing populism, a political ideology that often combines laissez-faire capitalism, nationalism, ethnocentrism and anti-elitism, is sometimes described as far-right.[14][15] Right-wing populism often involves appeals to the "common man" and opposition to immigration.[16][1] Far-right politics sometimes involves anti-immigration and anti-integration stances towards groups that are deemed inferior and undesirable.

If you don't like that, take it up with Wiki. Or say what you mean by it, if you have a different interpretation.

Yes such labels are problematic but useful in defining stances. I can see why you are uncomfortable with them.

Re: Corbyn I would say that he is historically far left. But since coming into a position of responsibility has become 'left wing'. I'm not hiding behind the 'oh, they're all centre left/right'. His old far left stance when he made dubious decisions, albeit for what he deemed to be just causes, look naive and works against him much in his new 'position of responsibility'. As I said earlier, it's too much baggage to sustain and I would like a successor that keeps the manifesto but with less easily targeted historical baggage. I would defend him to the hilt on his stance on criticising Israel but I would also like him to be more active in condemning Palestine. I have no problem in his position on opposing UK stance on Ireland back then, and such criticism played a part (with other figures) in eventually getting heads together for the good Friday agreement.
    Once upon a time you are correct that Corbyn was closer to the far left than left but lately I think he is closer to center left than he has ever been.

Looks like Boris will be spending the £350m on tax breaks for the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Looks like Boris will be spending the £350m on tax breaks for the rich.
    Depends on what your interpretation of "Rich" is?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Depends on what your interpretation of "Rich" is?
    Lets just say hed prefer to give £9.8bn to higher rate tax payers than helping the nhs or schools.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    What he was pointing out if you cared to do a bit of research instead of taking things at face value is that of the world of discrimination laws.

Any company that employs more than 15 people can fall fowl of this law whether they intended to or not. So lets say that a business has 15 all white local workers and the business wants to hire a 16th worker and 23 people go for the job, lets say that there are 9 foreigners out of the 23 and the boss chooses the best man for the job but he happens to be a white local lad as his 16th worker. This means that the 9 people of foreign decent can then take the business to tribunal for discrimination and they will have to justify their selection. Farage is only saying that cannot be right can it? Or does he have to hire a foreign worker that is not as good as the local lad just so he does not get taken to court for discrimination.
    A huge dollop of scaremongering there by you and Farage. What you say is substantively not true. The law is in place as much to protect employers from false accusations as workers from discrimination.* In reality its about companies having their policy and processes documented and in place. Acas will not move a case forward, or a job candidate wont win a case, for the simple reason they are on the discriminated list and did not get the job. Employers are well protected by the law.

This is more evidence that Farage and ERG have a bigger agenda to dilute workers rights (employment law, health and safety at work and minimum wage) to make the UK a low cost deregulated market. Leaving the EU opens us up to this change.

["The Equality Act 2010 is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom with the primary purpose of consolidating, updating and supplementing the numerous prior Acts and Regulations, that formed the basis of anti-discrimination law in Great Britain."]

A huge dollop of scaremongering there by you and Farage. What you say is substantively not true. The law is in place as much to protect employers from false accusations as workers from discrimination.* In reality its about companies having their policy and processes documented and in place. Acas will not move a case forward, or a job candidate wont win a case, for the simple reason they are on the discriminated list and did not get the job. Employers are well protected by the law.

This is more evidence that Farage and ERG have a bigger agenda to dilute workers rights (employment law, health and safety at work and minimum wage) to make the UK a low cost deregulated market. Leaving the EU opens us up to this change.

["The Equality Act 2010 is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom with the primary purpose of consolidating, updating and supplementing the numerous prior Acts and Regulations, that formed the basis of anti-discrimination law in Great Britain."]
    That's pretty much it. The fact that Farage is saying that he would like employers to be able to waive this legal obligation to demonstrate equal opportunities (I do loads of interviews, it's not a lot and you can still choose the best person for the job regardless of race - I've not once had to justify my choices be legal challenge) just for local "UK born" people, to discriminate in their favour, for me is a trait of far right politics going by the definition.

On balance, I think that I am persuaded by the views that he is not a demonstrably far right politician (as Batton clearly is/was) but he does have revealing slips. But centre right BL? Do me a favour! But he does run a party that has demonstrably attracted a large following of both far and extreme right supporters. Are they his useful idiots, or is he theirs?

Lets just say hed prefer to give £9.8bn to higher rate tax payers than helping the nhs or schools.
    The highest rate of tax is 45% above £150k not the 40% above £50,001 which now isnt a massive wage

There are millions in this country who would love to be on that sort of money GM.

Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast