+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Millers Promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    1980-81. Special team, best home record I can remember and genuinely exciting players. Defence was superb and at least 5 legends in the side. Ronnie, Tiger, Stan, Brecks and Gerry F. Although Seasman, Mountjoy, Mullen and Rod were bloody excellent as well. Oh go on then, they were all Miller legends. And that includes IP.
    Best promotion, 80-81 witth Tiger and Ronnie on the pitch. Probably as it was my first promotion.

Best promotion moment though - Alan Leee "He's gone mad, I've gone mad"

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    1980-81. Mountjoy,
    I think that you mean keeper Ray Mountford. (Football career finished early by injury)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I think that you mean keeper Ray Mountford. (Football career finished early by injury)
    Didn't he go on to play snooker?

Ray Mountford was the best keeper I've seen playing for us in a one on one situation. His anticipation was superb and he nearly always came out on top when the striker was through on goal.
    An excellent keeper in one of the most exciting Rotherham teams I can remember in over 60 years of supporting the club

Has to be 80/81 for me first promotion I'd experienced going to games on my own with all my mates.

Tell you what looking back over the last 40 years or so its rarely been boring been a Millers fan with all the promotions and relegations not to mention the administrations and nearly going out of business more than once

He went int police after finishing playing I believe

Yes you are right Mike. Was brought in from Man U the season before I think. Began the season as understudy to Graham Brown who got injured early in the season. Was excellent from there on. In fact I remember a double save at Leicester the following season which was outstanding. For me he was up there with Ironside, Hill, McCallister, Seamus and Polly as outstanding Miller goalies.

Mountjoy I assume is Mountford

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123