+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So when will the North Stand be knocked down?

I was a right side lad, at the back near the middle - never once saw any mobs in there but only started to go regularly from 86-87 when I think by then the hooliganism was mostly outside. Does anyone remember when we drew Liverpool in the cup that season we were in the old 2nd division - myself and 3 mates found ourselves walking in one direction through thousands of them, complete silence!

Im a little bit earlier WCV, kenny Swain scoring, think it was about 84? Yes Chelsea in the Holte, my mate had his front tooth knocked out. They got in at 1:30 on the sat just as the gates opened. The Holte was empty, most people having a Bovril underneath, around 2;30 there was a roar and it kicked off, little resistance to start with, most villa fans scattered but the Steamers from under the stands heard the comotion and i tell you what, fur 2 hours, it was skin and fur, it was messy, any copper that tried to get in there were mullered. The Chelsea fans by KO could not get out, villa fans surrounded them and well you can imagine. Worst trouble i had seen for my young years. Im not too sure but i think you could still pay on the gate??
    Anyway, your more likely to get a tub of strawbs or a prawn sandwi h hurled at you these days from the glory hunters, the chelsea head hunters are well and truly gone now. Prob a good thing actually.

Definitely mate - the whole thing blighted football and I wish we could all be sensible enough to mix with each other & have the banter without the aggro or prawn sandwiches!

First away fans I remember at the back of the Holte were Milwall season 67/68, about 100 of them all dressed in Donkey jackets with skinhead haircuts and broken noses, carrying walking sticks painted blue and white, not ****agers but grown men in their 30's and 40's. They were the first organised crew on the scene I guess, scared the crap out of me.

Another memory I have when all the Bovver boys took off, is the Coppers confiscating boot laces! You cannot fight without them.

When we were in Div 3 every man and his dog came to the away games to see the fallen giants Aston Villa, so often we were attacked, but thankfully I only ever got hit the once!

Anyone get to stand in the old North terrace before the goal post was installed? What was it like?

Just realised why the owners sold Villa Park to themselves ...they covered the cost of buying us from Xia deliberately priced it low mainly because its now a prem ground and any new owners would have to not only purchase a prem club for say 150 mill but they would have to agree on an inflated price for the ground after redevelopment of another 150mill. Smart move, for them anyway.!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Anyone get to stand in the old North terrace before the goal post was installed? What was it like?
    North Terrace? Not in my time mate. We used to stand on the Witton End (pre-North Stand) from 72-75. Twas nearly always full, especially if the away team had a big following. There was a grass bank running down the back (top) and most of the rucking went on there.

No roof so the atmos wasn’t as vibrant as the Holte, and we got drenched when it rained which wasn’t often.

Why don’t we remember the rain from our youth? Snow and sun yes, but not rain. Did it ever rain back then?

The selective memory of trainee auld lad I suppose .

I loved the old AV floodlights, for some reason it heightened the anticipation and sense of excitement walking to the ground for a night game.

And the old Aston Villa clock between Trinity and Witton/NS, though that couldn't be read (by me anyway) at night games. I never could see the one on the Witton Lane from the back of the Left Side.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)