+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now that free tv licences

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    You will all change your tune when you all become 75 years old.
    Out of interest I assume that you applied to join the armed forces. As far as I am aware conscription has not been re-introduced since the end of National Service in the early 1960’s
    Why wud you assume people will change mind when they become 75.....I'm intrigued with this....is it like putting on weight, grey hair and a wee bit of arthritis......you just become selfish when you grow old as part of the ageing process?

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Never really answered para 3.

So basically your an ageist.

If your old you should take take take?
    Yes. Because we have earned the right to it through paying our taxes. You will certainly change your tune when you are old enough to qualify for them. When people retire they take a drop in earnings compared to when they were working unless they have never worked and the ‘gravy train’ just carries on as before.

Why wud you assume people will change mind when they become 75.....I'm intrigued with this....is it like putting on weight, grey hair and a wee bit of arthritis......you just become selfish when you grow old as part of the ageing process?
    Believe or not people aged 75 and over have the right to turn down a free tv licence and continue to pay the annual charge of £154.50 if they so wish. I have yet to meet anyone aged 75 and over who has been stupid enough to turn down the opportunity of a free tv licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    I love pensioners except the ones that voted the wrong way in the referendums
    Can’t wait to get my season ticket discount .

Not fond of cyclists though and perpetual students do my head in.

Don’t get me started on seagulls

So on this thread so far we have prejudices against
    Pensioners
    Students
    Cyclists
    Seagulls
    BBC
    Rabid Tories (sorry Islay )
    Hi Shuntz,
    That is no problem slagging me off for being a rabid Tory.
    At least I am prepared to say my piece.
    You can add to your list SNP MP’s who do not reply to emails from their constituents.

Yes. Because we have earned the right to it through paying our taxes. You will certainly change your tune when you are old enough to qualify for them. When people retire they take a drop in earnings compared to when they were working unless they have never worked and the ‘gravy train’ just carries on as before.
    A lot of pensioners never paid tax, a lot of women paid the smaller NI contribution so your opening sentence isn't correct and even if it was what's paying income tax got to do with tv licence?

Like me saying I've paid road tax every year, give me a free car.....

When people retire.....hmmm....is there national conscription for retirement or is it there choice?.....they choose to take a slight drop in income but some of their incomes are way above the national average anyway.

It still seems to me you dislike freebies but if poorer folk get them everybodies getting them whether that effects younger folk or not.

Strikes me as selfish.

Believe or not people aged 75 and over have the right to turn down a free tv licence and continue to pay the annual charge of £154.50 if they so wish. I have yet to meet anyone aged 75 and over who has been stupid enough to turn down the opportunity of a free tv licence.
    A few phoned radio Scotland phone in to say that they do.

They are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by troodee1893 View Post
    Personally I think there shouldn't be a BBC. Shut them down, they are all trendy, luvvie lefties. Just watch ITV and there wouldn't be a problem.
    Nothing to do with watching BBC or not.

A lot of pensioners never paid tax, a lot of women paid the smaller NI contribution so your opening sentence isn't correct and even if it was what's paying income tax got to do with tv licence?

Like me saying I've paid road tax every year, give me a free car.....

When people retire.....hmmm....is there national conscription for retirement or is it there choice?.....they choose to take a slight drop in income but some of their incomes are way above the national average anyway.

It still seems to me you dislike freebies but if poorer folk get them everybodies getting them whether that effects younger folk or not.

Strikes me as selfish.
    I believe in looking after number 1 - myself.

I believe in looking after number 1 - myself.
    Well do that instead of advocating spounging off others.

Trust you to misread my post. Everybody should be entitled to receive a free tv licence when they reach 75 years of age. People who have been careful with their money and saved up for their old age are being penalised whilst someone who has not worked a day in their life or pissed their money against the wall get a free tv licence when they become 75 years of age. I am against means testing.
    It should be for everyone or no one.
    I think that the BBC should be privatised and then they could get rid of channels with poor viewing figures such as the new BBC Scotland channel which was set up as a ‘sop’ to Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP supporters and BBC Alba.
    There shouldn't be an age related entitlement to free TV licence.

I can't see why a young couple starting out in life with kids for example should need to pay for something whether they use it or not while a 75 year old gets a freebie.

I also think the BBC should be funded in a different way, or be honest and call it a BBC licence just like pay per view subscription channel and let people choose to get it or not.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)