+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Millers Promotion?

Favourite Millers Promotion?

I think I already know which one will be the most popular due to the high number of elderly supporters on here 😜
    Sadly, I was still in nappies for the 80/81 season. But I have been lucky enough to have witnessed seven Millers promotions in my time.
    88/89 div 4 champions
    91/92 div 4 runners up
    99/00 div 3(L2) runners up
    00/01 div 2(L1) runners up
    12/13 L2 runners up
    13/14 L1 playoff winners
    17/18 L1 playoff winners
    My personal favourite from these has to be the 00/01 season. It took me and everyone by surprise, and we just kept going and going, grinding out wins. Until that season, I'd already at the age of 21/22 accepted that by being a Rotherham fan, I would only ever watch my team play in the bottom two divisions. Promotion to the second tier was just unthinkable. But it happened. And it was great.

My least favourite, if its possible to have a least favourite promotion, was probably the last one. Not that I didn't enjoy or appreciate it. It just came, happened, and that was it. Possibly because we'd got promoted straight back to the division where a season earlier we'd witnessed our worst ever season. It felt like we were just going back for some more. The event didn't feel euphoric, it felt like we'd won a big away match in London. There was even an eliment of guilt that we'd denied Shrewsbury a crack at the championship. But I would take another promotion like that one any day.

Probably 80/81 - great football to watch and deservedly won the division title, Did well the next season too.
    00/01 probably next under Ronnie, especially as we were one of the bookies' favourites to get relegated at the start.
    Although the play-off promotions were very enjoyable, we were quite a long way behind the other two promoted teams in terms of points and football ability, especially the most recent one.
    Born after the 50s promotion team, so never saw them, but there some Millers legends played in that one.
    They were all good though!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 08-06-2019 at 06:15 AM.

91-92 for me as it was the only season I went to most matches away! Agree with hazza regarding 17-18 only because of the season before it....on a side note can anyone tell me who scored a volleyed free kick think it was 92 season Against hull think we won 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by cupid-stunt View Post
    91-92 for me as it was the only season I went to most matches away! Agree with hazza regarding 17-18 only because of the season before it....on a side note can anyone tell me who scored a volleyed free kick think it was 92 season Against hull think we won 0-1
    We didn't play Hull in 91/92 season. Free kick takers that season would probably have been Mark Todd (and he did score with some long shots) , or possibly Richardson , Hutchings or even Raggy.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 08-06-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    We didn't play Hull in 91/92 season. Free kick takers that season would probably have been Mark Todd (and he did score with some long shots) , or possibly Richardson , Hutchings or even Raggy.
    Sorry mike meant to say 92-93 might have been Todd !! Just checked results for the millers for that season at Hull and we drew 2-2 in a cup match and won 0-1 a couple of weeks later int league,doesn’t say who scored unfortunately.just remember someone flicked the ball up and then scoring the volley! Looking back though we’ve had some good players back then goater.raggy hazel!!

Everyone of them.
    You have to enjoy the good times because a club like ours doesn’t have them that often.

Quote Originally Posted by cupid-stunt View Post
    Sorry mike meant to say 92-93 might have been Todd !! Just checked results for the millers for that season at Hull and we drew 2-2 in a cup match and won 0-1 a couple of weeks later int league,doesn’t say who scored unfortunately.
    Just checked - Mark Todd scored. He hit a few thunderbolts - I remember one at Barnet.
    As you say, Goater, Hazel and Raggy were usually good entertainment too!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 08-06-2019 at 07:43 AM.

All of them, but especially Alan Leeeeeeeeeeee.......😊

At the time they happen they are all fantastic but I think I’d have to say the SE promotion when Revell/Collin we’re the heroes.

Just fantastic the way we came back, I had tears

Soppy sod millertop 😂😂

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast