+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnbull fee agreed with Celtic...

Turnbull fee agreed with Celtic...

£3m plus add-ons...disappointing if he goes there but if the reported offer is right we can't be too unhappy.

Will be curious to see if anyone from England matches it.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    £3m plus add-ons...disappointing if he goes there but if the reported offer is right we can't be too unhappy.

Will be curious to see if anyone from England matches it.
    Is the £3m plus confirmed somewhere?
    I thought celtic didn't want to pay that amount.

The quote I read is "the fee we stand to receive fully maximises his potential value", which I interpret as the club not standing firm and caving in to Celtic (WHY???). I don't want to read that there are conditions on this transfer fee (e.g. appearances etc), not do I want to read that the actual fee is less than £2m, but we "might" get £3m if we assume a sell-on fee in the future.
    Pretty sure an English club would pay more than Celtic, so why cave in so early?

Apparently its 3.25m eventually after add ons

It's no real surprise that he's going there as they were stung by not moving quick enough for John McGinn last summer and weren't likely to make the same mistake again.

As for Turnbull, it's been a pleasure to watch him play for us but if he ends up there then f**k him, he's just another Celtic b4stard to me and naturally I hope he fails big time.

We move on.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    It's no real surprise that he's going there as they were stung by not moving quick enough for John McGinn last summer and weren't likely to make the same mistake again.

As for Turnbull, it's been a pleasure to watch him play for us but if he ends up there then f**k him, he's just another Celtic b4stard to me and naturally I hope he fails big time.

We move on.
    It’s all about opinions LawSteelman, Turnbull could have refused to sign his last contract at the club and left for nothing
    other than a development fee being paid just as Hastie did. Instead he chose to sign a new contract with a get out clause if a certain fee was reached he would leave but would get the club somemuch needed money. Yes I would like to have seen him go to any other club but I will wish Turnbull all the best and success for his future football career .

Any other clubs apart from one of the OF. Nothing we can do about it but for me leaves a bitter taste after renewing season tickets and the like we then see our best player go to them. I take it we'll npw go back to punting the ball over the top now we don't have any decent midfield players in our squad.

I am really disappointed that he is going to Celtic but “hats off” to David Turnbull for signing the extended contract when he did as that has brought us a significant transfer fee. Had he “done a Hastie” and not signed a contract, there is no way a tribunal would have decided he was worth anywhere near £3 million. We’d have been lucky to get £700,000. Once we have cleared our debt (and a nod to Boyle and Les for their patience and Les’s double-up offer), then we need to continue with our development of youth policy BUT let’s start to get more into playing for the team for a season or two before we sell them on.

Andrew Wilson, former Motherwell director, posted the following on Twitter. Good stuff.

Thoughts on my hometown club @MotherwellFC as it prepares for a record deal selling a wonderfully talented player to @CelticFC

Fans own @MotherwellFC now and are better informed, engaged and understanding of the reality of the strategic challenges facing the club. The fan ownership model replaces one where a rich owner was needed to insure against insolvency

Clubs need to bear some financial risk otherwise a budget set in fear of relegation will cause it. That said no club should risk their future in the face of 1 season’s hope. When we launched fam ownership we sought over £1.5m in reserves to replace the generosity of John Boyle

But in truth not enough season ticket holders joined the society because they didnt possibly think there was a problem because the club was doing so well. But every year the board of a club like @MotherwellFC watches cashflow forecasts like a hawk & worries every day.

This meant John Boyle could not retire fully & eventually had no option but to seek & agree investment for security with Les Hutchinson. Les tried to spend more but was confounded by performance & as he handed the club back to fans it has held significant debt to Les & John

They never called it in but agreed terms that would see them repaid on windfalls. John in particular has been hugely generous for years & years. This deal is outstanding in every sense but chiefly because we will now be completely debt free again

This also strengthens our reserves way beyond the initial target meaning we are secure. NOT that we can spend willy nilly that would be singularly stupid. But our fan ownership and financial strategy is now secure

The Board and fans should now open a discussion on the strategy for the next decade and beyond. Agree that we will never risk the Club but anchor our whole strategy in talent development with 21st century facilities, method and leadership

At the same time our club in all its forms must deepen our roots and contribution to the economy, society and communities of Lanarkshire. We can and must do more to raise well-being, life chances and standards as well as talent

The world is our oyster and this deal creates a platform to find more funding and investment to take this fan owned family club to the next level. Be proud of David Turnbull, wish him well and build a legacy for the next generation of steelmen and women #siwy

"But in truth not enough season ticket holders joined the society because they didnt possibly think there was a problem because the club was doing so well.*"

Is that the truth. I know many season ticket holders and non season ticket regulars who can't contribute to the Well Society for financial reasons not because they think everything is going well.

Otherwise a sensible contribution but even faced with that reality I'm still missed off we are losing our talent before we can enjoy the impact they will have on the pitch.

I know it was ever thus but with transfers like this I can't help feeling we're there just to make up the numbers in a one/two team league.

Sensible post from AW, though no doubt some will disagree.

As a top-flight fan run club we are waiting for relegation. This doesn't change that, it may put it off for a bit and it may mean we're better equipped for when it happens.

I've more than made my peace with that as there is no alternative.

If ST holders can't afford to contribute more that's fair enough and there are also some who say their devotion ends at the pitch and they have no interest in more - it's not how I look at it but it's not unreasonable.

What I do find sad is some of the excuses used for not backing the society which would embarrass a child at times...it's this or Wishaw Juniors on a Saturday, whatever level we end up or whoever is in charge each particular year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)