+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC v Hearts

LC v Hearts

4 weeks on Friday we kick off our new season at Tynecastle. Ok call it 4 weeks.

As regular posters will know I'm less than enthusiastic about the quality of football we've been playing under Robbie. I think we need 4/5 quality players in to be sure that we can take the league by the scruff of the neck and lead from the front this time. Just a wee bit concerned that were not seeing anything happening yet.

This is his first summer window and he'll be judged on how the team is performing after a very few games. He says it will be quality over quantity in terms of incoming, happy with that. Not easy to get quality signed up for the Championship unless the dosh is there for it though.

Am I the only one a wee bit impatient?

Very much so

I'm glad of the break, with being the last game of the season with the play offs, it's a very short break for us compared to most

The transfer window only opened yesterday and we already have a strong team for this level that just needs adding to unlike previous summers, we have a right back and left back

Plenty time, patience required

As for quality of football, it's not the important thing, the pts are more important and if we had the pts average from the start we have since the jan window next season we will win the league imo, if we get a bit of both then great

Nothing to worry about then. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Very much so

I'm glad of the break, with being the last game of the season with the play offs, it's a very short break for us compared to most

The transfer window only opened yesterday and we already have a strong team for this level that just needs adding to unlike previous summers, we have a right back and left back

Plenty time, patience required

As for quality of football, it's not the important thing, the pts are more important and if we had the pts average from the start we have since the jan window next season we will win the league imo, if we get a bit of both then great
    You were right that we "already have a strong team for this level" but the strong team for this level failed miserably to lay a glove on one of the worst SPL teams.

In my view we need much more than one or two additions to turn us into a team capable of not only winning the league but competing in the next level when we do.

And.... why has it suddenly become accepted that we play crap football just because it delivers points?
    Is it too much to expect to see good football AND results??

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Nothing to worry about then. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
    Am i right in thinking that we had seen a rash of new players inbound by this time last season, and see where some of them got us! There is also a distinct lack of rumours that can be classed as credible enough to say that player x is on his way.

I expect players and management have been on holiday and are now beginning to get back to the relative normality of the situation they are in. I think i saw that the players are back next week for assessment and i fully expect player news will start flowing around the same time.

What concerns me is there is no news on at least 5 players who i think should be moved on, followed by another 4 who could be classed as being on the shoogly peg! Hope to hell its getting sorted though.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    You were right that we "already have a strong team for this level" but the strong team for this level failed miserably to lay a glove on one of the worst SPL teams.

In my view we need much more than one or two additions to turn us into a team capable of not only winning the league but competing in the next level when we do.

And.... why has it suddenly become accepted that we play crap football just because it delivers points?
    Is it too much to expect to see good football AND results??

That worst prem team were the strongest they had been all season, one defeat in there last ten games was Celtic, so while anything but a good side were no mugs and had a spirit and feel good factor about them, we drew both games over 210 mins

You aren't going to play pretty football all the time in this division, so until we are out of this division then it won't be a regular thing

My main concern is that we have enough time to get the end of last season out of minds, refreshed ready to go again so soon with the quick turnaround, I'm confident we will have a few new faces by the beginning of the season, Liam Smith and Adrian Sporle already in.

We have a good base to build from this time after the January window

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Am i right in thinking that we had seen a rash of new players inbound by this time last season, and see where some of them got us! There is also a distinct lack of rumours that can be classed as credible enough to say that player x is on his way.

I expect players and management have been on holiday and are now beginning to get back to the relative normality of the situation they are in. I think i saw that the players are back next week for assessment and i fully expect player news will start flowing around the same time.

What concerns me is there is no news on at least 5 players who i think should be moved on, followed by another 4 who could be classed as being on the shoogly peg! Hope to hell its getting sorted though.
    Agreed Chick. This Sunday will mark three weeks since the final second leg game. I think the players get 3 weeks as a rule. I doubt Tony Asghar has been on 3 weeks if any because this is the most important part of the year for him. He can get a holiday once play starts, would be my strategy anyway!

I don't think what happened under Csaba last summer though has any bearing on what will or should be happening now. Asghar and Robbie would presumably have had plan A and plan B in hand some weeks ago based on which division we were going to be in.
    I think they would have known Safranco would be away either way so needing a 20 goal striker. And the rest, imo 4/5 players. Right now we have one, Liam Smith.
    I'm sure there's activity going on and I respect the club for announcing business when it's done, I'm just chomping at the bit to see the results of it.

Shedka has Sporle signed? Where did you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    That worst prem team were the strongest they had been all season, one defeat in there last ten games was Celtic, so while anything but a good side were no mugs and had a spirit and feel good factor about them, we drew both games over 210 mins

You aren't going to play pretty football all the time in this division, so until we are out of this division then it won't be a regular thing

My main concern is that we have enough time to get the end of last season out of minds, refreshed ready to go again so soon with the quick turnaround, I'm confident we will have a few new faces by the beginning of the season, Liam Smith and Adrian Sporle already in.

We have a good base to build from this time after the January window
    Are you saying they had a spirit and feelgood factor about them but we didn't??

Sporle has not signed, but is the only rumour that has grown some wings and is now on his way.

I hope by the end of the recruitment that we can safely turn around and say there is no doubt that the 2 summer windows are beyond comparison. That is arguably already true to an extent where 4 of the 5 players i expect to be removed are Shabba summer signings.

Fingers crossed the players turn up to work next week with 4-6 new faces to meet, that we all find out about by the end of that day. For me, Smith and Sporle completes the defence, a keeper(Fox?) would be good, 2 midfielders and a 20 goal striker(Shankland, yeah right!) would complete the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)