+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC Notts County - would you bother?

Nop I think it's for the best to put a end to the club at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Nop I think it's for the best to put a end to the club at this point.
    Really? I don't. I think it's best that a decent owner takes control and gets us performing well on the pitch while being run sensibly off it. But that seems too much to ask these days.

I'd give it a go. It's something to do on a Saturday after all.

Although a big problem for anyone who tried to start it up is that they'd have to sit out the coming season. Plenty of time to plan things, but also a whole year where people might find other interests/new clubs to root for.

No, you could even call the puppy the same name but its still not the deceased dog.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Not a chance in hell. All the history lost.
    This is the fundamental problem with the AFC Notts County idea. Our identity is so closely tied to our historic status that a phoenix club concept is less appealing to our fans than it is to other clubs who may also be old, but not the oldest.

I will, true supporters stay with their club through thick and thin.

I can still remember the old 4th division when at times there were only 1500 fans in the ground.

I'm surprised so many people are saying no to following an AFC Notts County (if the worst were to happen). The club is the fans, period, and I can't believe there wouldn't be a groundswell of support to rebuild us.

I will definitely be following NCFC, come what may. I sing "County Till I Die" because that's what I mean - having to start again from scratch, however unpalatable the thought, would just be part of the adventure. Besides, it's not like I can suddenly start supporting someone else even if I wanted to; NCFC is just part of my DNA.

And anyone who thinks AFC Wimbledon have no connection to the old Wimbledon has clearly never spoken to any of their older fans. What they've done is an inspiration at such a potentially bleak time.

I’ll get slated for this but I’d probably go and occasionally watch Forest.
    Most of my mates are Forest fans so I’d join them just for a few beers and watch some footy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    This is the fundamental problem with the AFC Notts County idea. Our identity is so closely tied to our historic status that a phoenix club concept is less appealing to our fans than it is to other clubs who may also be old, but not the oldest.
    I really don't get this obsession with "oldest league club." It's a pub quiz question, nothing more, for me. We have a long, long history - but you'd struggle to call much of it illustrious. It is OUR history, though, and I am proud of it despite all those years (and years, and years) of underachievement, cock-ups - literally, occasionally - relegations and ignominious failures broadcast live to the nation (cough, Swansea, cough, Salford).

Sometimes, things are so FUBAR you just need to press reset. Drastic step, for sure, but what's the alternative, a season ticket in the Trent End? Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

In the words of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    I will, true supporters stay with their club through thick and thin.

I can still remember the old 4th division when at times there were only 1500 fans in the ground.
    Well a fair few of us can remember those heady days! But a new NCFC would be just that, a NEW NCFC not THE NCFC. And as for true supporters!! we are all true supporters ffs but perhaps some think themselves better than others.
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 13-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast