+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does she think that's funny?

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Idiot! I don't see the poison and divide - did the majority not vote for him overwhelmingly? Do you not understand the meaning of majority? It's as simple as 123 so look it up!

Jo Brand should be locked up!
    . FFS al,I thought you said you had read wba 55s advice about having a argument with a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve got a dark sense of humour Regis but if mates try to tell me dead baby jokes I stop them in their tracks.

Two minutes in my company would show you I’m no “snowflake” but jokes about throwing battery acid are abhorrent in my opinion.

On Jo Brand.

By pure coincidence I was reading up on Quentin Letts tonight as he was on the “This Week” programme.

A couple of years ago he was on “ Have I got news for you “ hosted on that occasion by Ms Brand

He’d made a comment/joke on radio 4’s “Today” programmes about wishing he could pin down Polly Toynbee of the Guardian to tickle her under the armpits to bring a smile to her face for once.

Brand admonished him for “misogyny” and really got stuck into him and she received huge support on Soshal Meeeedyaa and the incident ended up with Ofcom.

I hope she reaps what she’s sown with this.

After what happened to Labour’s Jo Cox something of this nature is just going too far.

If Boris or Farage made a joke about throwing acid on Brand to improve her looks would that be funny?

Quite rightly it would cause outrage and disgust.
    Mick, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm no 'snowflake' and like many of my generation believe that we have lost our sense of humour, but this is something else. As you rightly say, it's OK for Brand to take exception for comments made that offends her but it's fine for her to make such a disgusting statement. Hypocracy! As I said in my original post, the BBC spokesman backed her which is no surprise as I'm beginning to despair of this company with their leftist views and other recent actions i.e. charging over 75's for TV licence, I'm not one of them by the way. The less we see of this unfunny woman on our screens, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Idiot! I don't see the poison and divide - did the majority not vote for him overwhelmingly? Do you not understand the meaning of majority? It's as simple as 123 so look it up!

Jo Brand should be locked up!
    You're right - it is simple but you're not grasping it. Its like the HRK situation all over again.

Again, I'm not sure why I reply - maybe its my bit for care in the community.

Did the majority of people vote for him overwhelmingly.....No

Do I understand the meaning of a majority....yes, and I'll explain it to you now.

A majority is when you have a greater part share of something, in political terms - more than half. Enough to win a vote if everyone took part.

His party took 31.6% of vote share -Not a majority

They took 29 out of 73 seats - Not a majority

Did his party win more seats than any other party - Yes.
    Did the majority overwhelmingly vote for him - No
    Did he win a majority - No

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Oh holy crap, what a foo kin snowflake society we live in. These right wing muppets cannot take a joke. Those complaining really need to take a hard look at themselves. I’m sorry if you all feel offended this joke.
    100% agree with this. I find the most offended in our society seem to be the right wingers who call everyone else a snowflake.

I think it is not appropriate considering the rising number of random acid attacks in our society today, there are enough nutters out there without any incitement from so called comedians.
    I think political jokes are either seen as funny or not funny depending on your political leanings.
    The left wing has some rabble rousers in its ranks yes, but right wingers do far more damage on a huge scale in comparison.
    Young Adolf was a right winger and so was Maggie Thatcher.
    One of them destroyed British industry and filled ordinary working people with dread and despair and the other lived in Germany.

Morning all.

Some time back I was at a corporate event and one of the speakers was Katie Piper. She was the former model who had acid thrown in her face by an ex boyfriend. Badly burned in one eye and 250 skin graft operations later (and still counting) she speaks at conferences about her experiences. The clear message being that her struggles and the mental strength she applied in very gruesome circumstances make light of many things we gripe about in a business or personal context. I think one of the definitions of 'snowflake' is someone that is easily offended. I couldn't help notice the word being applied by some elements in society to those who thought that this 'joke' was in very bad taste. I just wonder where some folks draw the line as i heard the clip and the BBC audience all following each other like a heard of sheep laughing along.

Is it the 'joke' itself or is it who makes it and what they stand for that determines its suitability?

Nigel Farage would never disgrace himself with such a remark. He's acted like a Gentleman throughout (With the exception of telling some of those EU leaders what he thinks of them, and they needed telling). Of course you mention Farage and the usual "BBC cliches" come out, but to be fair anyone who gives any credence to such things clearly has no concept of thinking for themselves.

I think that we would all agree that Jo Brand is no ‘pin-up’, but that doesn’t stop her from being funny. Just because someone is funny doesn’t mean that they’re funny all the time. I think that Jo Brand can be very funny, never attractive though, but on this occasion she wasn’t funny. All comedians will sometimes make jokes that are inappropriate, this was one of those occasions. I like comedians that push to the limit but that inevitably means that sometimes they will go too far; Jo Brand should, on this occasion, admit that. Life would be exceedingly boring if everyone was always within ‘PC acceptability’. MickD would be locked up fo a start......!

So the authorities aren't taking any action regarding Brand's comments. That's fine but I wonder if Farage or the like had made the same comment would the outcome be the same. I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    So the authorities aren't taking any action regarding Brand's comments. That's fine but I wonder if Farage or the like had made the same comment would the outcome be the same. I'm not convinced.
    it’s opened a can of worms LB people and comedians can say what they like on social media and the like and get away with it.iknow this country is a (was)a democratic country.and free to say and do what you want .this is not funny she’s never been funny and dought she ever will be. BBC and other broadcasters have sacked others for less remember Rodney Marsh aitkinson etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)