+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thomas signs .....

Quote Originally Posted by bankendbfc View Post
    Gwynne Thomas. Reight laiker.
    Shid got sum reyt thighs on her. Nut cracker.

Barnsley Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Luke Thomas for an undisclosed fee on a four-year contract ahead of our 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship campaign.

The 20-year-old has arrived at Oakwell from Derby County this summer, having spent last season on loan at Coventry City in Sky Bet League One.

He faced the Reds on two occasions and scored in the 2-2 draw at the end of March, cutting in from the right and unleashing an unstoppable shot from the just inside the area that flew into the top corner.

As well as possessing a keen eye for goal, the winger showed his creative skills by laying on a number of assists as Coventry finished eighth.

Thomas told iFollow Barnsley: “I’m very excited to join a club like Barnsley. It’s a young, talented side and they proved that last season when they got promoted, so I’m very happy to be here and, hopefully, I can bring something new to the team.

“I thought Barnsley were probably the best team in the division; they’re very hard-working and can keep the ball very well, and it’s a team that I’d love to play in.”

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Agreed. Mooar of an edge to the voice. Thomas could be a nasty bitta work on the tracks art in the country--a bully.

He edda wun track mind, tha would do wunt tha pullin Annie n Clarabell all day, he went off rails a couple o times av erd, ran arta steeum in end.

Quote Originally Posted by bankendbfc View Post
    Gwynne Thomas. Reight laiker.
    Geoff Thomas, not a bad laiker

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Barnsley Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Luke Thomas for an undisclosed fee on a four-year contract ahead of our 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship campaign.

The 20-year-old has arrived at Oakwell from Derby County this summer, having spent last season on loan at Coventry City in Sky Bet League One.

He faced the Reds on two occasions and scored in the 2-2 draw at the end of March, cutting in from the right and unleashing an unstoppable shot from the just inside the area that flew into the top corner.

As well as possessing a keen eye for goal, the winger showed his creative skills by laying on a number of assists as Coventry finished eighth.

Thomas told iFollow Barnsley: “I’m very excited to join a club like Barnsley. It’s a young, talented side and they proved that last season when they got promoted, so I’m very happy to be here and, hopefully, I can bring something new to the team.

“I thought Barnsley were probably the best team in the division; they’re very hard-working and can keep the ball very well, and it’s a team that I’d love to play in.”
    Aar much ev wi paid ? If it's ovva heyf a million wivved aar pants pulled darn.
    1 goal in 15 apps wi Gloucester City in Conference North (yes North)
    4 goals in 43 apps wi Coventry in Third Division including that "unstoppable shot" Sorry PR lads but 5 goals in 57 games does not constitute " a keen eye for goal" to me. Pillakin.
    We need sum experience to survive in the Championship

Summer signing Luke Thomas is raring to pull on the famous Red shirt when the new season kicks off in August.

The flying winger arrived at Oakwell from Derby County, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal, and is eagerly anticipating the forthcoming Sky Bet Championship campaign.

“I’m very excited to join a club like Barnsley,” declared Thomas. “It’s a young, talented side and they proved that last season when they got promoted, so I’m very happy to be here and, hopefully, I can bring something new to the team.

“I thought Barnsley were probably the best team in the division; they’re very hard-working and can keep the ball very well, and it’s a team that I’d love to play in.

“I’m really excited to be here and I can’t wait to play in the Championship and meet up with my new teammates.”

Reds supporters will be familiar with Thomas’ goal scoring exploits after the winger scored a stunner in South Yorkshire at the end of March.

The 20-year-old, who was on loan at League One rivals Coventry City, bagged the equaliser for Mark Robins’ side in a 2-2 draw – one of five he managed in all competitions for the Sky Blues.

“I remember getting the ball off one of my Coventry teammates and just had one thing on my mind, really, to try and get half a yard and shoot,” continued Thomas. “Luckily, I’ve got that and scored. It’s probably the best goal I scored last season and, hopefully, I can score a few more like that for Barnsley.”

Not only is Thomas adept at finishing, but the explosive wide man was at his creative best last season as he laid on a number of assists for teammates while at the Ricoh Arena.

However, perhaps one of his most important – for both Coventry and the Reds – was when he set up Amadou Bakayoko to net the Sky Blues’ second in the dramatic 5-4 victory over Sunderland in April.

“That was a massive result for us to keep our play-off hopes alive and, of course, it was a big result for Barnsley as well because it was between them and Sunderland at one stage,” asserted the former Cheltenham Town youngster.

“But it was a great feeling to be able to help the team win and to be able to win at a place like the Stadium of Light was amazing.”

Thomas is Barnsley’s second signing this summer after Mike Bähre made his loan spell at Oakwell permanent last month.

The German slotted seamlessly into Daniel Stendel’s high-pressing philosophy, and our latest recruit is adamant that you can anticipate a similar approach from him.

“The fans can expect me to be very hard-working; I do my defensive duties as well as attacking work,” insisted Thomas. “I like to get on the ball and cause the defenders a nightmare, and I like to create things for myself and my teammates.

“Coventry and Barnsley played similar football; they both tried to play out from the back and work it that way – Barnsley are very good at that. Hopefully, I can take what I learnt from Coventry last season and bring it here.

“I learnt a lot last season; it was my first full season in men’s football. Playing in front of big crowds with Coventry and, certainly here at Oakwell was fantastic, so I learnt a lot in that respect but there’s still more to learn.”

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Aar much ev wi paid ? If it's ovva heyf a million wivved aar pants pulled darn.
    1 goal in 15 apps wi Gloucester City in Conference North (yes North)
    4 goals in 43 apps wi Coventry in Third Division including that "unstoppable shot" Sorry PR lads but 5 goals in 57 games does not constitute " a keen eye for goal" to me. Pillakin.
    We need sum experience to survive in the Championship
    £1.2m was the talk doing the rounds prior to him signing .

We're not in league 1 aspiring to the Championship,we're in the Championship aspiring to stay there
    World of difference
    Don't wish to put the young man down but in all fairness it's a big ask of him to make the step up, because he needs to do it pdq
    It seems our owners can't grasp this simple fact
    But good luck to the young man, he'll need it

I'll guess £5-650K paid for him 1.2mill would give chein and co a heart attack

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast