+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any point in Notts having a youth academy

Got a feeling a lot of the funding needed to run a youth academy is provided by the football league, and this funding would therefore now cease

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Kole Lambert.
    I think MiG, the fountain of knowledge that he is on our Premiership quality youth prospects alluded to him having attitude problems that led to Forest releasing him before we did the same, unless I'm thinking of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Kole Lambert.
    Thanks. This was an interesting quote on the Norwich website:

“Basford are a club that gives lads from the area a second chance. They were very accommodating when we approached them, and we thank them for allowing Kole to come and spend some time with us here before signing."

It's always tempting to look at a team like Crewe as a potential role model when it comes to developing youth. But there's a reason they are one of the few teams who do it successfully - because it's so difficult and you are only as good as your latest batch of players and how long you can hold onto them (hence, I assume, Crewe's fluctuating fortunes over the years).

Crewe Alexandra continue to survive, and sporadically succeed, with a squad heavily populated by youth products. I think the difference from many clubs is that they are willing to throw their kids in at the deep end much earlier and be patient while they literally learn to become professional footballers, which means taking a few big defeats along the way. Most clubs tend to hide behind the excuse that that their youngsters "aren't quite ready yet" or that they "don't want to throw them in at this time", whereas Crewe just do it. Some of their players go on to play at a higher level, while others stick around, but the club continues to compete despite a relatively tiny budget, and they've always played attractive football.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Crewe Alexandra continue to survive, and sporadically succeed, with a squad heavily populated by youth products. I think the difference from many clubs is that they are willing to throw their kids in at the deep end much earlier and be patient while they literally learn to become professional footballers, which means taking a few big defeats along the way. Most clubs tend to hide behind the excuse that that their youngsters "aren't quite ready yet" or that they "don't want to throw them in at this time", whereas Crewe just do it. Some of their players go on to play at a higher level, while others stick around, but the club continues to compete despite a relatively tiny budget, and they've always played attractive football.
    Yep, and when you consider where they are located, just a stones throw from Stoke and a short distance from Liverpool and Greater Manchester areas it proves that there are still plenty of young kids to work with and not all of them get gobbled up by the big boys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123