+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Turnbull deal stalls

Turnbull deal stalls

Motherwell's "transformational" deal with Celtic for the transfer of Davis Turnbull has hit the rocks. No agreement has been made with the player. - External Link
    Last edited by jwok; 14-06-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Looks like the agent thinks Celtic are low balling on the remuneration package.

They probably are because their wages bill is out of control even for them. So many overpaid duds on the payroll.

Celtic's reaction seemed incredibly petty given this sort of thing must go on all the time. He has an offer, can try to better it and if not Celtic will get him for what they were willing to pay. I still think he'll end up there all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Celtic's reaction seemed incredibly petty given this sort of thing must go on all the time. He has an offer, can try to better it and if not Celtic will get him for what they were willing to pay. I still think he'll end up there all the same.
    When it's fought in public like this. Celtic will lose.

They have tried to pay us good money. But pay DT a lot less than the agent is aware of that is remuneration at that BIG CLUB.

The Biscuit tin is being banghed at Shellik

IMO Celtic attempted jump the queue and force his hand before others became involved. This has only made the transfer fee MFC wiling to accept known to their competitors. Turnbull firmly in the driving seat and where ever DT ends up, we get a good deal and he a salary and club that can take him next level and think DT England bound

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    IMO Celtic attempted jump the queue and force his hand before others became involved. This has only made the transfer fee MFC wiling to accept known to their competitors. Turnbull firmly in the driving seat and where ever DT ends up, we get a good deal and he a salary and club that can take him next level and think DT England bound
    I certainly hope so but you wonder why no one has bid yet if that is the case...Southampton, Bournemouth etc who have been linked with him keep 3m in loose change.

You also begin to wonder if DT actually meant what he said in the past about learning at Motherwell before moving on. You become so used to dismissing what footballers say because it barely lasts the day. Anyway, in March in the Evening Times re Hastie going to Rangers, Turnbull said:

“It’s up to him obviously, but what I would say to him is that he should stay here and try to get game-time, get 50 or 100 games under his belt and then see where the next step takes him. He’s still only a young boy. Obviously, [Rangers are] a big club, so it’s just up to him.

“We do a lot together off the pitch, just going for coffees and that. He comes and picks me up, he’s just got a new motor. He used to pick me up in his wee Corsa, but now he’s got a Merc C-class so he’ll be flashing that about. That’s him big-time now, it happens to them all doesn’t it?"

He's not going to turn down a 3-million move to Celtic to learn the game for another 6-12 months at Motherwell. Is he? Nah, surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I certainly hope so but you wonder why no one has bid yet if that is the case...Southampton, Bournemouth etc who have been linked with him keep 3m in loose change.

You also begin to wonder if DT actually meant what he said in the past about learning at Motherwell before moving on. You become so used to dismissing what footballers say because it barely lasts the day. Anyway, in March in the Evening Times re Hastie going to Rangers, Turnbull said:

“It’s up to him obviously, but what I would say to him is that he should stay here and try to get game-time, get 50 or 100 games under his belt and then see where the next step takes him. He’s still only a young boy. Obviously, [Rangers are] a big club, so it’s just up to him.

“We do a lot together off the pitch, just going for coffees and that. He comes and picks me up, he’s just got a new motor. He used to pick me up in his wee Corsa, but now he’s got a Merc C-class so he’ll be flashing that about. That’s him big-time now, it happens to them all doesn’t it?"

He's not going to turn down a 3-million move to Celtic to learn the game for another 6-12 months at Motherwell. Is he? Nah, surely not.
    No one except him can be sure about what DT's intentions are, but I've heard (on usually reliable info) that he's looking to secure a deal outside of Scotland, but stay at FP until at least January for secured game-time, then move on. If that's true, the Board will be 5hitting themselves there ain't a 'he can't get injured clause' written into any agreement. And, if it is the case ... the boy's a legend IMO.

Mature head on young shoulders if that is indeed his view but I think he'll struggle to get it. There are plenty in England who can pay 3m, fewer who can do so then loan the guy straight out.

Either way, we currently look like we can't lose.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)