+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Close season topics - the squad

Close season topics - the squad

What do we need to do ? Who should go and who must we keep. What should we realistically bring in ?
    Its such a big topic i thought we could start at the back..
    Goalkeepers:
    BPF and Casilla backed up by Huffer and the foreign youth. I thought BPF did great after playing youth and reserve football. I now think as an established internatilnal he could be number 1 for us. I think Casilla did ok but weaknesses are showing too often ?
    Ideally a super keeper would be signed but we wont have a big budget as usual so i would try and offload one of them probably Casilla and look at BPF as number 1 ?
    Cant say i am convinced by my own thoughts though....what does everyone think ?
    BPF ?
    Casilla ?
    New signing ?

I think Casilla definitely has at times displayed skills/attributes that show that he should be a better class of GK than BPF. However his overall his performances this season have not been been any better than what we have seen from BPF.

I would consider offloading Casilla because he is on big money which I think could be well used on other signings. Casilla has flattered to deceive imo.

Now as for BPF, I genuinely don't know if we should keep him or not. I don't think he pushed on the way we had hoped, he was pretty dodgy in a number of games around October/November and cost us a few points, but then I am sure every keeper has a difficult phase they have to work through. Someone on this forum ( I can't remember their name now and I scoffed at them at the time) suggested that BPF's agility and ability to deal with long range shots was questionable, I would now be in agreement and I think other teams have also worked this out.

So I think we either replace both with a new No.1 ( I don't know who would be better or available for us) or we promote BPF back to first choice and have Huffer to provide competition.

Quote Originally Posted by lasher View Post
    What do we need to do ? Who should go and who must we keep. What should we realistically bring in ?
    Its such a big topic i thought we could start at the back..
    Goalkeepers:
    BPF and Casilla backed up by Huffer and the foreign youth. I thought BPF did great after playing youth and reserve football. I now think as an established internatilnal he could be number 1 for us. I think Casilla did ok but weaknesses are showing too often ?
    Ideally a super keeper would be signed but we wont have a big budget as usual so i would try and offload one of them probably Casilla and look at BPF as number 1 ?
    Cant say i am convinced by my own thoughts though....what does everyone think ?
    BPF ?
    Casilla ?
    New signing ?
    think GK positions are fine. They can work on Kiko’s comm7nication and when he comes out.

Think we need strengthening up front, out wide and need more depth in midfield (the hole position).

At the back back will be interesting to see who from the reserves and who from on loan he brings in.

There seems ems to be a reasonable core to the squad.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Saiz and those who have done well on loan (Pearce, Denton, De Boxk, Ekuban and Cibicki)

Apart from wilks I hope no loan players come back, up front we need a 20 goal striker (answers on a postcard) and a commanding, no nonsense centre half.

I think we should make Harrison a permanent signing if the price is right (hes young and looks to be improving) then I think we need an extra winger + an attacking midfielder (basically the player we wanted in Issy Brown this year but he hasn't been that player for us) and I think we need a centre back.

I'd like to see us make one big signing in attack then get two loan players in to fill the other gaps.

Other than that our main job is to not let anyone leave other than Pontus who I think will go if Bielsa gets a replacement in that he likes as Bielsa although he plays Jansson I don't think he really likes him that much.

I'm pretty confident about next year with our current squad + 3 additions (Winger, attacking mid and cb) plus the development of our youth players into the first team people like Clarke, Shackleton, Bogusz, Edmondson, Davies, Halme etc who are a year older and a year wiser I think we should have a good year only thing that would derail it is us losing Phillips + Pontus, I honestly don't think any of our other players will attract much interest other than maybe Roofe who would only get championship interest from relegated teams and I doubt he'd want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    I think we should make Harrison a permanent signing if the price is right (hes young and looks to be improving) then I think we need an extra winger + an attacking midfielder (basically the player we wanted in Issy Brown this year but he hasn't been that player for us) and I think we need a centre back.

I'd like to see us make one big signing in attack then get two loan players in to fill the other gaps.

Other than that our main job is to not let anyone leave other than Pontus who I think will go if Bielsa gets a replacement in that he likes as Bielsa although he plays Jansson I don't think he really likes him that much.

I'm pretty confident about next year with our current squad + 3 additions (Winger, attacking mid and cb) plus the development of our youth players into the first team people like Clarke, Shackleton, Bogusz, Edmondson, Davies, Halme etc who are a year older and a year wiser I think we should have a good year only thing that would derail it is us losing Phillips + Pontus, I honestly don't think any of our other players will attract much interest other than maybe Roofe who would only get championship interest from relegated teams and I doubt he'd want to leave.
    I stopped reading after your first 9 words

we currently have 15 permanent senior players - Casilla BPF Ayling Berardi Douglas Alioski Jansson Cooper Phillips Forshaw Klich Dallas Hernandez Bamford and Roofe - we should keep all these, we should then add 3 quality signings to that group, ideally permanent signings too, not a huge fan of the loan market. That would then give Marcelo the senior 18 that he likes to have.

they are then backed up by some of the best youth players in the entire division - Huffer Miazek Hosannah Davis Odour Halme Struijk Diaz Shackleton Gotts McCalmont Nicell Bogusz Clarke Stevens Roberts Edmondson and Temenuzhkov

not forgetting we also still have Pearce Shaughnessy Dalby Rey Coyle Kitching Wilks O'Connor Denton Ideguchi Balboa Grot Machuca and Sarkic who have all been out on loan

I would imagine O'Kane Saiz Sacko Cibicki DeBock Anita Bouy and Ekuban will all be sold or released as they were all at some point sent out on loan, I'd be happy if we were to get somewhere around 8 to 10 million for that group, but generally, if they aint gonna play, we need them out, nowt against any of them, we just gotta be mindful of the wage bill, save the wages for players who will get into Marcelos regular 18.

some decisions for the board to make, we don't need to worry about any out of contract players as we dont have any for the first time in god knows how long

its going to be an interesting summer, i wouldnt antisipate a lot of new players coming in, i dont think we need a lot, 3 would be nice, i think some of the youths that have been out on loan might force their way into the first team squad, or certainly will intergrate back into the u23s with some good experience under their belts, geez our u23 squad next season will be stacked with talent, can't see them losing too many next season with that kind of squad

either way, im excited to see how the squads look for the first kickoff of the new season!

MOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by denver11 View Post
    Harrison has the makings of a good player. This was his first season in full British football and he has shown glimpses of real quality. He knows Bielsa, he can and does play the style Bielsa wants and works incredibly hard + isn't up his own arse.

Personally if we got offered the chance to pay say 3m for him I'd definitely take a chance on him.

Quote Originally Posted by denver11 View Post
    Harrison has the makings of a good player. This was his first season in full British football and he has shown glimpses of real quality. He knows Bielsa, he can and does play the style Bielsa wants and works incredibly hard + isn't up his own arse.

Personally if we got offered the chance to pay say 3m for him I'd definitely take a chance on him.

We heard you the 1st time joel

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)