+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thats what i call ambition

Looks likely they're about to lose their star goalkeeper. The fee will be interesting. £1.2m anyone?

Barnsley being bankrolled by owners who have a net worth of $9.1bn. Roth owner net worth $150m. Slight difference in what the 2 clubs are able to afford.

I’d like to bet if we’d paid 1.2 million (as if) on the same player this board would’ve gone into melt down on risking so much on such an uncertain prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    I’d like to bet if we’d paid 1.2 million (as if) on the same player this board would’ve gone into melt down on risking so much on such an uncertain prospect.
    They will have run the moneyball process over the player and the computer assessed hes under valued and could achieve much more.

More if a gamble.

Take Dael Fry and Farrund Rawson, we took on loan. If we had bought them for over £1mil instead of loaning then, they are both unproven and got experience from playing for us, would we have been able to sell them for more. Fry maybe yes but Rawson?

Depending on the contact length they can just play it out and leave for free, which is why TS is reluctant to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Aye ask him where the world series flag is CA , good film Moneyball and a great story , won feck all though .
    That's true. I never really bought into the Moneyball hype although it made for a good book/film. He put together a team where the stars aligned with some pitching prospects coming good, lots of undetected performance enhancing substances (as every team did through that period) and some great team spirit. It did show that a low budget team can perform against a top budget team ($50M to $150M if I remember right) but no different to Bournemouth/Wolves competing with the top Premiership teams. As you said, 6 years of close but no cigars, in fact only won one post season series although really blew chances to beat the Yankees and Red Sox.

It’s easier to call it ambition.
    We are 2 different clubs run differently and it’s not just as simple as the owners showing ambition.
    What if we had spent loads last season and it didn’t work ?
    Let’s just say because of that we have absolutely nothing to spend this season.
    Would we all be ok with that ?
    And before anyone says we’re not spending this season we have signed 2 players who need paying and we are still looking.

No course we wouldn’t. The board would be in meltdown.

Genuinely good luck to Barnsley though hope it pays off.
    Last edited by Pocket rocket; 15-06-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Yes good luck to them. Would be nice to see them do better than SWFC and to see what the response from Radio Deedah would be.

The voice of South Yorkshire my arse as Jim Royal would say

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Looks likely they're about to lose their star goalkeeper. The fee will be interesting. £1.2m anyone?
    He's a free agent gkotw , keep up .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    He's a free agent gkotw , keep up .
    Ouch, hadn't realised. So the much vaunted model has allowed one to wriggle free.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast