+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Yates leaving

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    So pro's listen to the selling club talking up a player ?

There's enough footage on the airwaves and the individual "stat's" for the recruitment guys to work on.
    Yes believe it or not managers want to know what kind of personality they have. Look at warne he Constantly says he only wants good people who train hard.

This maybe a shock to you easy but “phrases like god this players **** can you please buy him because I can’t get him from punching my winger” believe it or not them comments don’t help in selling players on

Is "punching my winger" a euphemism?

Young Yates is still only 22 and has loads of potential in him. I will admit that he has not progressed as much as expected but he has not taken a step backwards either.

The lad has skill and a good head for football.

Jerry is one of those players that you know what he is capable of but you need to bring it out of him and you can only do that with game time.

I would personally loan him out to a league one club but if we are going to loan him to another league 2 club then we are not helping the lad get the experience he needs at this stage of his career.

If he goes out to a league 1 club I think he will prove people wrong on here who thinks he has nothing as a footballer.

Time will tell.

Good post BigLadon. He is still only 22. Players tend to break through at 23/24, so we’d be daft to lose him now after all the investment in him. And I’m sure Carlisle fans would argue he broke through last season. Once they played him in a forward/attacking midfielder position he got 6 goals and an assist in 7 games. If he gets the same in league two this year, he’ll be worth millions. He may even be ready for lower half of league one as Ladon suggests.

I read a report on a lad from Doncaster Rovers junior team some years ago. Please forgive me if i have some of the details wrong but I'm pretty sure it went on the lines of this.

This young lad who was head and shoulder above the rest of the team was being played in the middle of midfield instead of his desired position of a number 10 or a striker. The problem was that he was the cleverest player and the most skillful but the coach was getting the best out of the team and not the individual. This young lad who was becoming increasingly frustrated wanted to change clubs but was hindered by his fathers lack of a driving licence. This narrowed down the number of clubs that they young lad could go to, although there was interest from clubs who had proven academies that had produced some international players participating in the world cup last year. He decided to sign for Rotherham United and went through it's academy and signed professional contracts before going out on loan. His loan spells had been successful and he kept on signing professional contracts, putting in the hours of hard graft to show to the coaching staff at several clubs that he had something special enough to be rewarded.

This young, potentialy good forward will probably bloom at another club but fail at his own because the expectation is too great for him to overcome. He will probably be bood by a certain narrow minded section of the crowd when he makes a mistake whilst otgers who make the same mistake will be said to have been unlucky.

It wouldn't matter who is the coach he will always be said to have been shyte by some!

Jonson Clarke Harris was the better prospect, if the club had someone to knuckle him down, Paul Warne
    was not a hard enough manager to control him.
    Warne on holiday in Turkey, be hopes he gets some players in for the next campaign, or Turkey will
    come back to haunt him, if we get a stuffing.

Warne is "special" though isn't he. In theory the good people is ok but we're a pro football club and even choirs have ego's perhaps even the best soprano's.

There is a theory that he avoids confrontation and that's ok too but we're a pro football club and aggression
    (controlled aggression) has always been the hallmark of the best teams.

The edge!

A good manager is a big enough character himself the control / command the respect of these characters.

This is why (in my opinion) we're missing out on an atmosphere with that edge - a team ethic with that edge. Once the boys go over that white line they are at war and they must win individual and group battles. That takes aggression. Removing / curtailing those attributes and the silver medal awaits.

As for Yates - a simple comparison of young kids coming through who you can see have something.....not the finished article but...yeah .....speed / spacial awareness / aggression / heading / passing / control / movement on and of the ball.....even body language and how they move - too many low marks for Yates. He's not improved since a kid compared to those "who have it".

PW a sentimental old stick and he likes the kid and he brought him on v Leeds and 30 seconds later we'd lost. I would sack him for that one decision because it showed extremely poor judgement on several levels. And that's after a fair length of on the job training. We were relegated were we not ?

We are a pro football team not a boys club. I pay to watch something I respect in football terms - individually and collectively - I do not want to sponsor a happy days football centre for nice guys only thankyou very much.

A bit a Souness please.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    Warne is "special" though isn't he. In theory the good people is ok but we're a pro football club and even choirs have ego's perhaps even the best soprano's.

There is a theory that he avoids confrontation and that's ok too but we're a pro football club and aggression
    (controlled aggression) has always been the hallmark of the best teams.

The edge!

A good manager is a big enough character himself the control / command the respect of these characters.

This is why (in my opinion) we're missing out on an atmosphere with that edge - a team ethic with that edge. Once the boys go over that white line they are at war and they must win individual and group battles. That takes aggression. Removing / curtailing those attributes and the silver medal awaits.

As for Yates - a simple comparison of young kids coming through who you can see have something.....not the finished article but...yeah .....speed / spacial awareness / aggression / heading / passing / control / movement on and of the ball.....even body language and how they move - too many low marks for Yates. He's not improved since a kid compared to those "who have it".

PW a sentimental old stick and he likes the kid and he brought him on v Leeds and 30 seconds later we'd lost. I would sack him for that one decision because it showed extremely poor judgement on several levels. And that's after a fair length of on the job training. We were relegated were we not ?

We are a pro football team not a boys club. I pay to watch something I respect in football terms - individually and collectively - I do not want to sponsor a happy days football centre for nice guys only thankyou very much.

A bit a Souness please.
    You have said that you don't watch league 1 or League 2 football so why does it bother you so much?

Exactly the same as before it was Stubbs before now it’s Warne it’s just a wind up Frog.
    Every thread becomes about Warne

The phrase "Grow up" comes to mind - inextricably link between Yates and PW.

And where did Stubbs get mentioned?

The standard of football bothers me. If I pay to watch something I want to see something I admire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast