+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which player(s) have you found underrated at NUFC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which player(s) have you found underrated at NUFC?

There was an interesting discussion about Joey Barton online somewhere. Was he successful here or not? I'd say, overall, he was. A good player, most of the time, for us. If he hadn't constantly f*cked up his personal life, he would probably have had many caps for England.

Anyway, I don't think he was underrated as such, I think people appreciated his efforts. This made me think; which players have been under-appreciated?

I think Dummett was for a while, but it seems that most fans can now see what he adds. Maybe he's also improved and so it's fair enough that he didn't get too much credit in the past.

Williamson, current manager at Gateshead, wasn't always given the credit he deserved. Not a worldbeater, but gave it his all for the shirt (a bit too much against Leicester if I remember correctly).

Alan Smith did a decent job, though he was a shadow of his former self by the time he came up here.

In our current setup, I would mention Atsu as someone who is not a particularly good player, but better than he gets credit for.

Anyone comes to mind?

Past players I would say Danny Simpson was underrated.
    I'd also say Danny Guthrie was overlooked and underrated after some very good covering performances for Cabaye.

Present time I'd say Perez has been underrated quite a lot but has become a sort of yoyo player for criticism, good bad and indifferent.
    Overall though I think he's been definitely underrated.
    Dummett was and still is underrated by some.

There's plenty of them but equally there's's plenty of overrated one's from the past and present.

I'd agree with Simpson, he was my first though.

Perch was another for a long time.

I also felt Sibi and Lovenkrands were quite underrated.

Perch is a good shout. So is Guthrie and Simpson.

Hadn't seen our players are actually talking about this season's unsung hero in this clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLlLrEZANc

Good thread, Hughie.

Yeah, Simpson is a very decent shout. Obviously Leicester were greater than the sum of their parts and aye, you can get better right backs but he was solid and decent.

Of the current lot I reckon Perez gets a bum deal. People very quick to point the finger at him for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by toonsy View Post
    Of the current lot I reckon Perez gets a bum deal. People very quick to point the finger at him for whatever reason.
    Well....to be frank, people pointed the finger because, up until the turn of the year, he had been shocking. I agree, it'ls looking like we may have under-rated him but there have been far more occasions in his 5 years here when we've said 'ah, ffs Perez, man' than there have been times when we've gone 'ah, we've got a player on our hands here'.

Sol Campbell, You did say over weighted,

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Well....to be frank, people pointed the finger because, up until the turn of the year, he had been shocking. I agree, it'ls looking like we may have under-rated him but there have been far more occasions in his 5 years here when we've said 'ah, ffs Perez, man' than there have been times when we've gone 'ah, we've got a player on our hands here'.
    Yeah...the problem with Perez is that we know he can do it. He surprised us in his first season and since then has only played anywhere near the level he can for 4-6 months at the end of the last two seasons.

I think Perez is steadily improving under Rafa. He has become more consistent recently and if this improvement continues he could join the ranks of the likes of Pedro and Rob Lee eventually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)