+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which player(s) have you found underrated at NUFC?

Lee Clark who after leaving pulled the strings for the Mackems and again for Fulham.

Frank Clarke who was replaced as he was deemed to be too old,went on to win two European Cups with Forest.

John Dahl Tomasson.

Was meant to be a foil for Shearer but had to become the main man when he knacked his leg. Wasn't suited to the role he had to adopt and will be seen as a failure here but went abroad and proved to be a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    John Dahl Tomasson.

Was meant to be a foil for Shearer but had to become the main man when he knacked his leg. Wasn't suited to the role he had to adopt and will be seen as a failure here but went abroad and proved to be a very good player.
    Happy to see a Dane mentioned! And it's very true what you are saying. Went on to play as the main striker next to Shevchencko at AC Milan. Pirlo and Kaka behind him. Not shabby.

The little treasure Lua Lua.

Seemed to score every time he played.

Never got enough games.

I think there is a podcast floating around about this very subject from the end of last year. Giving it a listen later.

Kevin Gallacher was a grafter from memory. So was Acuna. Craig Moore anyone?

I liked the Emre graft too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    Kevin Gallacher was a grafter from memory. So was Acuna. Craig Moore anyone?

I liked the Emre graft too.
    Good to see an Aussie mentioned Craig Moore for me was a decent CB.

Underrated - Viduka (bias confirmed) Perch, Emre, Anita (i quite liked Anita) Simpson

I certainly don't think Craig Moore was underrated. I'd say he was rated exactly as to how he played, which was ok without pulling up any trees.
    I'd say Anita was overrated if I'm honest, when he first came, but not by Newcastle fans.
    Viduka was past his sell by date by the time we got him, so being underrated doesn't really come into it as far as fans go, in the main, in my opinion.
    Emre was probably overrated for what we got out of him. Definitely a feast or a famine, but a decent player no less. Rated about right.
    James Perch was a mixture of both over and underrated.
    That's just how I see it, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I certainly don't think Craig Moore was underrated. I'd say he was rated exactly as to how he played, which was ok without pulling up any trees.
    I'd say Anita was overrated if I'm honest, when he first came, but not by Newcastle fans.
    Viduka was past his sell by date by the time we got him, so being underrated doesn't really come into it as far as fans go, in the main, in my opinion.
    Emre was probably overrated for what we got out of him. Definitely a feast or a famine, but a decent player no less. Rated about right.
    James Perch was a mixture of both over and underrated.
    That's just how I see it, mind you.
    I agree with all that, besides possibly Anita.

He was good at what he was bought for...one of a 3 man midfield in between a defensive mid and a No.10. He would keep possession and the ball moving. Lost as a midfield pairing though which he ended up playing in.

Aye...Anita was bought as a jigsaw piece for a larger picture...but then remained the only piece we ever bought...so we never really saw the whole picture. Don't think we necessarily under-rated him-he never went on to pull up any trees but in that season we finished 5th, as our only fcking signing, ffs, too much was expected of him, maybe?

Aaron Hughes and Stevie Watson. Nothing special but solid defenders moved on too easily.

Bellamy (I know, I know), there was a massive difference between the way we played when he was in or out of the side during his time here. Obviously nobody thought he was a bad player, but I don't think people realised how important he was to the team.

Over rated...Sharon Peacock and Warren Barton...both shocking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)