+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Maradona- the movie

Maradona- the movie

I took a trip to our local Arts Centre last night to watch this film which has been given a fair bit of publicity recently , including apparently Breakfast television. It was made by the same guy who made the films Senna and Amy(Winehouse). The film mainly concentrates on the period when he left Argentina to make his fortune at the Nou Camp then Napoli where he was up there alongside God in the rankings. This period included the Falklands and the infamous hand of god , for which I hated him for cheating in every sense. He really could have been up there with Pele as the talent he had was never in doubt. Unfortunately his rapid success also led to his rapid descent especially when he helped Argentina beat Italy in the World Cup . A game which was played at Napoli’s stadium no less. Some cock up that was. From that moment on the whole of Italy was against him. He was brilliant on the field no doubt, even helping Napoli rise from obscurity to Serie A and UEFA Cup champions. No mean feat for one of the poorest clubs in one of the poorest cities in Italy at the time. Throw in his association with Italian gangsters and a pregnancy with another woman which he only owned up to 30 years later and it appears there was never a dull moment. Did I feel sorry for him? No. Like lots of other high ranking sportsmen, it appears he couln’t Cope with the pressures that life brought with the success he obtained along the way.
    Go and see it if you can. Don’t wait for it to come out on DVD. You’ll be sending me messages to thank me. It really is an excellent way to spend two hours and ten minutes.

Seems interesting Malwayne, I may give it a go

Can't stand the cheating spick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Can't stand the cheating spick.
    Greatest footballer ever though BT

The man won world cups on his own not to mention keeping his domestic club in trophies and top football ( we go on about messi now and he’s brilliant it can’t touch this man )

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Greatest footballer ever though BT

The man won world cups on his own not to mention keeping his domestic club in trophies and top football ( we go on about messi now and he’s brilliant it can’t touch this man )
    Not for me army. An obnoxious coke head who has no qualms about cheating.

Cheating Twohat, When his heart gives out I will not be sad. Talented yes, best ever not for me, one man team No.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Not for me army. An obnoxious coke head who has no qualms about cheating.
    Come on gents all genius have a flaw look at George Best , ( I was referring to his football talent )
    All footballers are cheats - look at Henry the squeakiest cleanest guy around still cheated Ireland out of World Cup.

I accept the drugs was a problem, but if you watched this guy play ( especially live ) his feet barely touch the floor he glides across the surface and strength and balance are amazing.

Two players would be lunging in at him and a third coming in to take the ball and he’d still come out the other side with the ball.

You should watch the movie - if you appreciate great football you won’t be disappointed I don’t think.
    Going to try and get a watch myself.

The greatest ever player IMHO was Pele, nothing flawed about his personality either.

Roy Race of Melchester Rovers was the best player I never saw.

Tom Finney was a magician who I enjoyed watching as much as any other player I have seen live.
    Thinking back over 68 years, I have been extremely lucky to have watched lots of world class players.
    Forwards will always be though of as the best, however, Franz Beckenbauer at his peak was brilliant to watch as was Bobby Moore. They were superb in their control and their reading of the game.
    It is all subjective and is all part of the history of the game. Maradona was a good player but he had to cheat to become a World Cup winner ---unlike Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer who did it as a player and manager.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)