+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which (types of) managers do you like?

Which (types of) managers do you like?

Which managers have you liked/loved over the years? This can be based on personality, style of play, style of clothing and/or the whole package.

I love watching Brian Clough videos (mainly from his young manager days) because he tried to challenge the system and the status quo of football all while having a romantic approach to the game. Not too crazy about his style of play, but his personality added a lot of spice to the game. Same with Mourinho, at one point at least.

Love Sir Bobby as well. Both his personality and love of the game, but also the way he saw football.

I'm sure a lot on here will mention Keegan and he certainly deserves a mention.

The way Guardiola (based on Cruyff) plays is always entertaining to watch, no matter how little love one may have for Man City. Klopp, although very different from Guardiola, also got a character + style of play that I like watching.

Who else..... Wenger was a class manager at his peak.

Rafa is more of an analytical, tactical manager which hasn't always been my favourite type of manager, but like most people I've more than warmed to him. I also think he handles the media very well.

Maybe I can't be anything but subjective on this but my favourite manager ever was Keegan. Not just the style of football he had us playing but for his passion, his rapport with the fans, the way he gave us pride in our team.

he got it...he got the City...he got us.

plenty of others from other clubs I admire but, tbh, none i want to mention in the same post.

Keegan, man

Incompetent yes men.

Zip wrapped it up...

Keegan....

Really like Rafa's pragmatic approach to team and man manangement but can't get passed Keegan's flair and winning attitude. As Zip says, he got the Toon and the Toon got him.

One man .keegan

As Zippity said: it has to be Keegan first time around for me. There was some kind of massive buzz about the entire club, city and fans all over the country and the world, plus the added extra thousands that jumped on the bandwagon wanting to be part of his set up.
    His set up was to please the fans with football on the front foot.
    All the hype around the club, even training sessions became full on focus, not to mention the overall media hype and the magazines/videos that came out to add into the excitement.

His charisma and the way he was idolised by players, not just fans, was special.
    I know he sacrificed a few things to get it all but the fact is, from my side, at the time was.....he was the absolute dogs borlicks.

By far and away and as high as a kite, he wins it hands down as the best for all those reasons and more in those times.

After that I'd say Arthur Cox deserves a special mention as a second favourite, for me, followed closely by Bobby Robson.

anyone with a modicum of integrity -

Keegan - i just love altogether anyway - how can you not love him

total respect to Rafa and wor Bobby

Joe Harvey - the manager when I 1st started going to matches and the only one to win anything significant so far .
    He is of course the most successful manager for us to date too

But maybe some of you have also admired other managers, from a distance so to speak (I mean managers that were not necessarily involved with NUFC)?

When I grew up, Van Gaal was the manager everyone talked about. He was the sh!t. I kind of admire him because I remember his confidence and style from when I was a kid.

I'll leave the obvious KK, SBR and Rafa to the side and go for (a slightly controversial?) Jose Mourinho. I can see why people actually hate him but I've always taken his 'weak' moments with a pinch of salt. When he said he was 'the special one' he really was.

I like tactically clever managers who make mid match changes which change games (sort of a complete opposite to Alan Pardew) and, of course, those that can inspire performances from their players in big games - not easy today with the type of players we have at the top of the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)