Get your very own personalised Roverite's Place gifts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: The intriguing bauer saga

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732

    The intriguing bauer saga

    This appears to be reaching a climax,but to who is he going to?
    Yesterday he announced he would be leaving Charlton and its was all done for a Preston deal,however it's not done yet.
    Could rovers sneak in there?are we that bothered if we dont?
    I am getting a little concerned about the lack of activity though.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    I'd much prefer Hanley, he is a better player. I have never once watched Bauer and thought he is the answer to our problems. Not to say he isn't solid, and could develop with us.
    PNE are not the only other club in for him, so I felt the last week this guy is going to slip away, as there will be a bidding war. And once that happens, we will instantly lose out.
    I am of the same mind, I am concerned we aren't able to actually do any real business, with our top targets. We didnt last season, we ended up with option C D or E ....and then found ourselves with surplus as nobody of any note came. So we bought Brereton for the future, as we had that spare 5m. But we ended up with crap like Rothwell, Rodwell who didn't really contribute much. Because they are choice C, D and E. Davenport was just unlucky, and could be the one signing that works out (alongside BB in time)
    We are continually getting our 3rd or 4th choice as our first few targets go elsewhere for an extra 5k, to a bigger club, with a bigger fan base.
    Nobody can really complain, we are a now a small Champ side, due to our fan base, and simply can't compete. No fans can complain as we are where we are.
    No business is being done at this very early stage. Players are only starting to return this week from family holidays, same with managers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Well, that's that. He has now signed for PNE.
    God knows how long we spent tracking this lad in over a year. What another complete waste of time and effort.
    That also means we haven't been spreading the net to find another. This is a concern, as we appear to be losing out to any old side who we come against. Are PNE bigger than us? Bigger fan base? More money? Ok, they finished a few points higher but nothing to say they are going anywhere, compared to us. So why are we losing out?
    Personally I'm not going to lose sleep over Bauer. He was ok, nothing special.

    But in the same vein, I say Hanley. What happens if some small mid-table club comes in for him? And offers to pay a tiny bit more in wages. He will go there, and we will lose out.

    What's coming clear, the ONLY signing we can actually make is one where no other side is interested. Which tells its own story. Like Rodwell.

    And the ****e, journeymen we will end up bringing in, will effectively stop (or slow down) the young lads coming through.

    I am starting to see a running theme here. We end up spending way too much time going after a player. But they dangle and flirt with us until another club comes in, who will pay more than us. Which is about 85% of the Champ and above. Then they simply sign for that club. And we then have to rush, scramble around and try find some other player nobody wants or needs.

    No doubt in the next month we will see Hanley sign for Luton or someone like that, and we end up with Charlie Mulgrew for another season.

    Am I correct in saying I saw Leutwiller sign a contract extension? Anyone know why?

    That's Raya spending another season not dealing with crosses but having nobody pushing him in the wings. We are doing some things well, but some things going on are questionable to say the least.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,496
    Champs - I honestly don't see it like that at all.
    The Preston signing of Bauer is the first significant Championship signing of the summer AT ALL, and even that is a "free".
    We aren't the only ones who are still waiting for the market to burst into life, so we can't make the call yet that we will be scrambling for also-rans.
    In any case, I'm not sure what you expect. What we need are good-quality players in their mid-twenties, with Championship experience. How many of those are going to be available? After all, if they have those characteristics, why would one of our rivals be selling them?!
    I can't see the point in complaining about a negative (the absence of signings) when everyone else is in the same boat.
    Incidentally, if you think Rothwell and Rodwell are "crap", I reckon you are being unrealistic. Are we really in a position to get players who are SIGNIFICANTLY better than them? Where from? And at what price?
    Sometimes, a manager gets it right (or lucky!), and someone like Dack is picked up at a bargain-price, but you usually get what you pay for.
    I would like to see two or three experienced arrivals, and I would be reasonably happy with Hanley, but as long as no-one leaves, I actually feel reasonably confident that we will survive again, even with the squad as it stands. That scenario would at least allow some of our U-23s more opportunities, and that might be the way to go for a club like ours. I still feel, in any case, that players like Raya, Nyambe, Travis, Bell and Brereton have significant improvement in them, and we are talking about five quite regular first-teamers there. Then we have the untapped Davenport and Chapman.

    Of course, if we're talking about challenging for promotion, it's a whole different ball-game...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I honestly don't see it like that at all.
    The Preston signing of Bauer is the first significant Championship signing of the summer AT ALL, and even that is a "free".
    We aren't the only ones who are still waiting for the market to burst into life, so we can't make the call yet that we will be scrambling for also-rans.
    In any case, I'm not sure what you expect. What we need are good-quality players in their mid-twenties, with Championship experience. How many of those are going to be available? After all, if they have those characteristics, why would one of our rivals be selling them?!
    I can't see the point in complaining about a negative (the absence of signings) when everyone else is in the same boat.
    Incidentally, if you think Rothwell and Rodwell are "crap", I reckon you are being unrealistic. Are we really in a position to get players who are SIGNIFICANTLY better than them? Where from? And at what price?
    Sometimes, a manager gets it right (or lucky!), and someone like Dack is picked up at a bargain-price, but you usually get what you pay for.
    I would like to see two or three experienced arrivals, and I would be reasonably happy with Hanley, but as long as no-one leaves, I actually feel reasonably confident that we will survive again, even with the squad as it stands. That scenario would at least allow some of our U-23s more opportunities, and that might be the way to go for a club like ours. I still feel, in any case, that players like Raya, Nyambe, Travis, Bell and Brereton have significant improvement in them, and we are talking about five quite regular first-teamers there. Then we have the untapped Davenport and Chapman.

    Of course, if we're talking about challenging for promotion, it's a whole different ball-game...


    We aren't the only ones who are still waiting for the market to burst into life, so we can't make the call yet that we will be scrambling for also-rans.

    - that's exactly what we ended up with last season. The players who did well for us, where already with us in Div1. We have a month less to do any deals at all. And we lost out on every single one of our main targets last summer. All down to the fact a club like Villa walked in at the very last minute and offered an extra 5k a week. TM confirmed that. We ended up with option C D or E. Nothing whatsoever has changed financially. And clubs like Fulham, Hudds Town and Cardiff can beat us on price every single day of the week. So can half the division we are in already.
    So from that aspect, looking back at last season. The financial situation has worsened not improved. And like I say, by the time we come back from Austria, we basically have a month, to improve. And get in quality. As will every other club. Only most clubs are able to offer more than us, like PNE.

    Incidentally, if you think Rothwell and Rodwell are "crap", I reckon you are being unrealistic.

    - neither contributed much though. Simple as that. One barley kicked a ball until the season was almost over. The other did very little to make an impact. Are we now in a position to go and spend actual money, to attract better players? Rothwell and Rodwell where not better than anything we already had. That's why neither contributed much. We MUST be looking to improve. Other teams will. All the reason I stated above, I feel will stop that. And after all our main targets go off to other clubs like PNE, and they improve, we will end up with Rothwells and Rodwells that nobody else wants. That's why we ended up with them. If any other club came in, and offered more money, both would have gone there instead. The realistic view, is one that says we will end up only being able to attract players who aren't in high demand. You and me both know, there is a reason why they aren't in high demand.

    Facts are facts. The only players who had an impact last season, where already here.


    I still feel, in any case, that players like Raya, Nyambe, Travis, Bell and Brereton have significant improvement in them

    - totally agree. But I was very very vocal before last season about my concerns we had no back up? No other keeper pushing. Only one defender in the club.
    So my first concern is, what happens if we lose any of these players, for a sustained period?
    We then have to bring in a vastly inferior player. And just like last season, once those injuries kick in, alongside suspensions, we could go months and months without winning.
    We had to improve the 'squad' as a whole. Not necessarily the starting 11. That's actually not too bad. Its what is underneath that. It simply wasn't anywhere near good enough. And that is because we didn't address the issues that I was concerned about last summer.

    I do agree, loads of other clubs are also having problems. All those clubs who finished above us, and the 3 coming down. If we don't manage to get anyone in, will we be able to finish above any of those sides this season? I was of the mind-set, due to what TM has been saying for a very long time now, that we desperately needed some new faces coming in. Who could improve us.
    Just over a month to go, and the clock is ticking rapidly.
    We can look at the loan market, but its such a hard place to find anyone who cares. For every Reed you get, you get 5 Kasey Palmers. Another one who was crap. People can disagree, but Dack is not crap. Palmer was. One played, one didn't, for either us or Bristol City.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,959
    Facts are facts for sure and I've bought a season ticket even though the whinging, moaning Rovers "fans" at deadwood will make me wish I hadn't.

    Mowbray got us promoted at the first attempt and that's no mean feat.
    He had a good, consolidating, first season back in the Championship too, how did Wigan do?
    There are good young players coming through and that is ***** for a club with so few supporters.

    Ok so there's only a month to go, it's the same for every team. Do you think the staff have been sat on their hands for the last couple of months?

    I'd have been more concerned if TM thought Bauer was the answer to our defensive problems.

    I also wonder how he will spend the money we get from selling Dack and who will make and score the goals he did.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Same with me despite all I said. To be fair, it's very well priced and good entertainment. So I do get value out of a season ticket. And regardless of anything transfer wise, next season will be very interesting in that we do have a good solid platform to build from. And we genuinely have some great talent coming through, very near the first team. I'd just like us to get a few in who can improve us. I don't think we need that much. And I said above, Bauer wasn't worth the wages PNE are paying him, simple as that.
    Dack speculation was always going to happen. We do not need to sell him. If we keep him, he will hopefully go I to have s good season again. If we set a night price 20m and some club wants to pay that, and he wants to leave, cash in. 20m for us to spend added to around the 10m budget we have alrrady changes everything. And over a few windows, next season we would be real serious contenders. If we spent it wisely across the squad, we could massively improve. So it's win win really. We aren't in any way desperate to cash in. So some club is going to have to cough up a fortune.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    This latest story about Sheff Utd joining this long list of clubs apparently interested in Dack will be a load of *******s. And no indication at all he is demanding to speak to them. You'll know when he's leaving, as we will be out spending the money on his replacement before he goes. That will be the indication at that point. Papers will fill up columns with this crap because nothing is happening. And they need to create stories. This happens every year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,496
    Champs - I am very surprised at your assessment of Rothwell. Yes - he might be seen as a bit of a luxury player, but I thought he added a spark in the final games because he is less predictable than most of our squad.
    Mowbray rightly assesses the opposition before choosing a team. There are certain situations where Rothwell wouldn't be suitable - games where we are almost guaranteed to be on the back foot, for instance, but it is essential to be able to call on people like him and Chapman, who can beat a man.
    Incidentally, someone posted a list on the Telegraph, showing our summer transfer activity over the last eight/nine years. This summer is nothing new. The vast majority of deals have been done from July onwards.
    Don't get me wrong. I would love to see three new arrivals along the spine. I'm just saying that finding three who would be a significant step-up on what we have already will be a very big ask, given our resources and the fact that we are no longer a big-name club.
    In particular, I can't see other Championship clubs releasing players of the quality we need in June. Why would they? As the pressure goes on in late-July, panic sets in and strange things can happen. Until then, we have four options outside our current squad: foreign imports; Scotland; the lower Divisions; PL players out on loan. The trouble with the last is, it will mainly consist of "promising youngsters" - and, God knows, we have enough of them ourselves! Obviously, we might be able to winkle out another Reed, but the better players, like him, only tend to become available when the PL clubs have settled their squads for the season - again, right at the end of the window. The Scottish market is an interesting one, because bargains have been had there before. Unfortunately, it is difficult to assess just how good a player is when the overall quality of the game is poorer, as is the case in the lower Scottish leagues.
    To be honest, if there is any possibility of getting Hanley, I think we should snatch at it, because I can't see many better options cropping up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732
    I believe we have the ready made dack replacement already on board.
    Step forward Ben brereton,he really doesn't look like a conventional centre forward,but playing just off the forward he could cause a big problem to opposing defender's.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732
    I am pretty sure we wont lose much sleep over dack going.
    The reported 15-18 million would absolutely revolutionise this squad.
    Last season our defence let us down on more than one occasion,if we have any lofty aspirations this area needs improving.
    Lenihan leaving would worry me far far more than dack going.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I am very surprised at your assessment of Rothwell. Yes - he might be seen as a bit of a luxury player, but I thought he added a spark in the final games because he is less predictable than most of our squad.
    Mowbray rightly assesses the opposition before choosing a team. There are certain situations where Rothwell wouldn't be suitable - games where we are almost guaranteed to be on the back foot, for instance, but it is essential to be able to call on people like him and Chapman, who can beat a man.
    Incidentally, someone posted a list on the Telegraph, showing our summer transfer activity over the last eight/nine years. This summer is nothing new. The vast majority of deals have been done from July onwards.
    Don't get me wrong. I would love to see three new arrivals along the spine. I'm just saying that finding three who would be a significant step-up on what we have already will be a very big ask, given our resources and the fact that we are no longer a big-name club.
    In particular, I can't see other Championship clubs releasing players of the quality we need in June. Why would they? As the pressure goes on in late-July, panic sets in and strange things can happen. Until then, we have four options outside our current squad: foreign imports; Scotland; the lower Divisions; PL players out on loan. The trouble with the last is, it will mainly consist of "promising youngsters" - and, God knows, we have enough of them ourselves! Obviously, we might be able to winkle out another Reed, but the better players, like him, only tend to become available when the PL clubs have settled their squads for the season - again, right at the end of the window. The Scottish market is an interesting one, because bargains have been had there before. Unfortunately, it is difficult to assess just how good a player is when the overall quality of the game is poorer, as is the case in the lower Scottish leagues.
    To be honest, if there is any possibility of getting Hanley, I think we should snatch at it, because I can't see many better options cropping up.
    I do tend to agree Aucks. And take your point on Rothwell. Just going off hundreds of players I've seen down the years who aren't quite good enough. Compare him to Dack? Similar position, same sor5 of age. While Dack is far from the best around, he is on another level. Dack is a footballer. Rothwell shows signs, but lacks various things. His passing is nowhere near good enough. I've never seen him cross a ball. Worrying as he plays on the wing sometimes. He has a head down and run style. Good players always have their heads up. They see the next pass before others. Like Dack. He is a well balanced lad, and scored a few good goals. Let's hope I'm wrong, and he becomes essential. Again though, I'm not a fan of players you can only play on certain games. Dack plays against everyone. And delivers. That is also a concern. Are we that good t9 be carrying players? Not too sure we are. Personally, I don't think he will make it at this level. May be Div1. Not too sure.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I am pretty sure we wont lose much sleep over dack going.
    The reported 15-18 million would absolutely revolutionise this squad.
    Last season our defence let us down on more than one occasion,if we have any lofty aspirations this area needs improving.
    Lenihan leaving would worry me far far more than dack going.

    The club have stated today this is a load of rubbish (this latest round of made up stories) and Dack has not asked to speak to anyone. And no club has made contact with us.
    I think the same Robin, the one I fear we will lose is Lenihan. And that is a worry, as it is our weakest area by far.

    Aucks said above, if we have a chance of signing Hanley, then we need to make sure it gets done. And not let some other side sneak in at the 11h hour to offer him more than we can. I'd say getting this deal over the line is pretty essential.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732
    Rothwell is an impact player much like Chapman.
    In my opinion,dack going would allow brereton to make that role his own.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Rothwell is an impact player much like Chapman.
    In my opinion,dack going would allow brereton to make that role his own.
    Personally, I hope Rothwell being around does not stop Butterworth playing. Which I fear will happen. Both very similar.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732
    I too echo that sentiment.
    On another note champs,I am coming to ewood end of September to watch the Luton game with my brother in law and his son,naturally they will go in the away end.
    Where do you usually sit as I could try and sit near you plus someone to natter to.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I too echo that sentiment.
    On another note champs,I am coming to ewood end of September to watch the Luton game with my brother in law and his son,naturally they will go in the away end.
    Where do you usually sit as I could try and sit near you plus someone to natter to.
    Hey pal. Basically, I sit on the halfway line in the Riverside. About 10 rows up, seat 85. I'll get home later and tell you my actual seat number. The row behind (last season) was pretty much empty all last season. The one thing we dont have to ever worry about at Ewood is finding a few seats together!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,808
    Auks, are you planning a trip over to Blighty anytime soon?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,732
    Ok Phill that sounds good.
    Never sat in the riverside,usually the Blackburn end or occasionally the Walker stand.
    Nearer the time we will discuss.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,959
    Another benefit of being a pensioner is a season ticket for the best seats in the house for just 299

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •