Get your very own personalised Duke's Bar gifts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: PW and his ability as a Manager.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,458

    PW and his ability as a Manager.

    I like PW and think that he has potential to become a great manager for the Millers but he has to prove it this season both with his signings and where we finish at the end of the season.

    He needs to improve on his tactical nous quite a lot as I feel that his where his main weakness is.

    Last season he let himself down badly with his inability to understand that to win a game of football against teams that are struggling you have to attack them and make them nervous of pushing forward and he failed at that miserably and cost us a fair few points which would have seen us stay up.

    With the loss of quite a few players ahead of the new season his metal is really going to be tested and tested to the limits of his ability not only as a manager but also as a coach.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,815
    Yes I'd agree with most of that. He needs to develop and push on but I think we'll see that anyway because the standard is lower.

    We took the game to Forest , Villa, Stoke, Swansea and Wba towards the end of the season and had all those teams rattled at times. It's another thing doing it for 95 mins though as we all know.

    Took far to long to discover the attributes of Matt Crookes as well

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Took far to long to discover the attributes of Matt Crookes as well
    I would have thought they were known before we decided to buy him. He just wasn’t played enough.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,116
    Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    I would have thought they were known before we decided to buy him. He just wasn’t played enough.
    pip_y, he will have no choice but to have to play him now Vaulks is going.

    Like BLOS stated, Warne will now have to show this coming season that he has the bottle, nerve and nous how to attack when called upon in order to see a game out. Stick to 5-4-1 and he'll be gone before Xmas as this simply won't work next season. The fans will be on his back like nobody's business should he fail to deliver.

  5. #5
    The dropping points from winning positions stat spoke for itself. As did lack of clean sheets.
    Once scoring the teams whole body language and shape changed until the inevitable equaliser came along.

  6. #6
    Strengths - fitness, team spirit

    Weaknesses - too nice, limited tactical ideas, tries to force square pegs into round holes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Strengths - fitness, team spirit

    Weaknesses - too nice, limited tactical ideas, tries to force square pegs into round holes.
    Who's this, kempoo?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,322
    Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Who's this, kempoo?
    Fitness, team spirit, too nice??? Leave it out

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    384
    Hmmmm I wonder how many managers have ........ sorry how many rookie managers have tried to get promotion from league 1? Let me see .... Warny did it at his first attempt so based on that Id say he knows exactly what hes doing. Why are people on this site so intent on looking for negatives? In all my 35 years watching the millers Id say the club has never looked as good as it does now on and off the pitch. Not only did he gain promotion at the first attempt he managed to turn around the mentality of players who probably in their career wont have suffered such a damaging relegation. Miracles it what he achieved. We only went down due to a poor transfer window in January that cost us big time. I honestly think its fair to say had we got a decent goal scorer mid table would have been quite easily achieved. Was such a shame we were one player away from real progress, I think there is more to learn from Tony Stewart there than Paul Warne........IMO obviously 🙄

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,592
    PW managerial ability is somewhere between biglardon and Guardiola.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,751
    I had to look twice then...……….I thought it was an anagram!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,071
    People seem to forget that Crooks was nowhere near fit enough when we first signed him.......and that's what the player himself said so the manager can hardly be criticised for not playing him until.he was up to speed.
    I expect him to.be our standout player next season and one of the first names in Warne's team selection.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,815
    OK but did it take from Jan to April to get fitter bearing in mind he must have had a certain level of fitness when he arrived.
    Way too long unless he had an injury

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete View Post
    Hmmmm I wonder how many managers have ........ sorry how many rookie managers have tried to get promotion from league 1? Let me see .... Warny did it at his first attempt so based on that Id say he knows exactly what hes doing. Why are people on this site so intent on looking for negatives? In all my 35 years watching the millers Id say the club has never looked as good as it does now on and off the pitch. Not only did he gain promotion at the first attempt he managed to turn around the mentality of players who probably in their career wont have suffered such a damaging relegation. Miracles it what he achieved. We only went down due to a poor transfer window in January that cost us big time. I honestly think its fair to say had we got a decent goal scorer mid table would have been quite easily achieved. Was such a shame we were one player away from real progress, I think there is more to learn from Tony Stewart there than Paul Warne........IMO obviously 🙄
    agree with the above.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    258
    Our chairman let the club down by not investing in Jan

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,592
    Even though he mentioned it I'm not sure he wasn't fit. A big factor was the speed/quality difference.
    I got a feeling we will see the opposite with wiles. I think he will not like the physical side of league one

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete View Post
    Hmmmm I wonder how many managers have ........ sorry how many rookie managers have tried to get promotion from league 1? Let me see .... Warny did it at his first attempt so based on that I’d say he knows exactly what he’s doing. Why are people on this site so intent on looking for negatives? In all my 35 years watching the millers I’d say the club has never looked as good as it does now on and off the pitch. Not only did he gain promotion at the first attempt he managed to turn around the mentality of players who probably in their career won’t have suffered such a damaging relegation. Miracles it what he achieved. We only went down due to a poor transfer window in January that cost us big time. I honestly think it’s fair to say had we got a decent goal scorer mid table would have been quite easily achieved. Was such a shame we were one player away from real progress, I think there is more to learn from Tony Stewart there than Paul Warne........IMO obviously ��
    Did Ronnie ever manage it again or even Evo for that matter and both won 2 promotions on the trot. History has no bearing on what will happen in the future of Managers otherwise no team would have ever looked abroad for one.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Did Ronnie ever manage it again or even Evo for that matter and both won 2 promotions on the trot. History has no bearing on what will happen in the future of Managers otherwise no team would have ever looked abroad for one.
    Your missing my point here, Warne rookie manager and promotion straight after a hugely damaging relegation (worse EVER points total) thats how damaging. Now please correct me if Im wrong but wasnt both Ronnie and Evo experienced managers by the time they took the millers job?
    Ronnie was assistant manager at tranmere for 9 years before a year at Southport.
    Evo was a manager 18 years before he became millers supremo.
    Can hardly draw on comparisons there can we?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,814
    Paul Warne is learning all the time.
    Yes he will have got his tactics wrong formation etc.
    If we brought in another manager so would he/ she/ gender neutral 😊 make them too.
    I think most of his signings have worked out pretty well.
    I do agree though the fans will turn if were not up near the top of the league next season unfortunately.
    Im predicting top 2 and Im never wrong.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Paul Warne is learning all the time.
    Yes he will have got his tactics wrong formation etc.
    If we brought in another manager so would he/ she/ gender neutral �� make them too.
    I think most of his signings have worked out pretty well.
    I do agree though the fans will turn if we’re not up near the top of the league next season unfortunately.
    I’m predicting top 2 and I’m never wrong.
    Pocket let me know when you're backing 2-1 again, I need to boost next years holiday fund.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •