+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Urban exploration

O/T Urban exploration

I appreciate its not everyone's cuppachar fellas but i've always been fascinated by structures, architecture, local history, railways past and present, canals, chimneys, bridges, tunnels and all that sort of thing. I have just discovered a wonderful channel on YouTube with some great content done a gentleman called Patrick D1ckinson. He explores various things in and around Sheffield and films it all in a very professional manner, talks about the history of what he's exploring and gives you a real feel for the places he gets in. It's a superb channel actually and something i'd much rather watch than the garbage that's on TV.

Give it a watch if that kind of thing interests you. As I cant do links, just go onto YouTube and type in 'Patrick D1ckinson Sheffield' and his channel will pop up. I've just subscribed to him and am fast becoming hooked. Cheers fellas
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 03-07-2019 at 10:03 AM.

I'm into railway architecture and old station buildings. I think it's criminal that the majority of stations in Yorkshire were demolished and replaced with bus shelters.

The suburban stations in Birmingham, London and Greater Manchester managed to retain their ticket offices and waiting rooms. It's particularly sad what happened to Sheffield Victoria (gone altogether), Wakefield Kirkgate, Mirfield and Pontefract Baghill. All main line stations reduced to glorified halts or demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I appreciate its not everyone's cuppachar fellas but i've always been fascinated by structures, architecture, local history, railways past and present, canals, chimneys, bridges, tunnels and all that sort of thing. I have just discovered a wonderful channel on YouTube with some great content done a gentleman called Patrick D1ckinson. He explores various things in and around Sheffield and films it all in a very professional manner, talks about the history of what he's exploring and gives you a real feel for the places he gets in. It's a superb channel actually and something i'd much rather watch than the garbage that's on TV.

Give it a watch if that kind of thing interests you. As I cant do links, just go onto YouTube and type in 'Patrick D1ckinson Sheffield' and his channel will pop up. I've just subscribed to him and am fast becoming hooked. Cheers fellas
    There you go Pass

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nson+sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I'm into railway architecture and old station buildings. I think it's criminal that the majority of stations in Yorkshire were demolished and replaced with bus shelters.

The suburban stations in Birmingham, London and Greater Manchester managed to retain their ticket offices and waiting rooms. It's particularly sad what happened to Sheffield Victoria (gone altogether), Wakefield Kirkgate, Mirfield and Pontefract Baghill. All main line stations reduced to glorified halts or demolished.
    Agree Steve, a crying shame. What I would say though is that many of the former railway routes round these parts form the trans pennine trail. Some great walks to be had right on our doorstep so things aren't totally forgotten.

When I was growing up I used to gu nesting darn wuzbro, stainbro n Gilroyd. Yellerwatters n 'arndill lane (saw Roma in bushes ) where the old woodhead route branched off to Wath. It'd only closed in 1981 so a few remnants of the railway remained when I was a kid and I always wondered what it was like with electric trains running. It's quite overgrown now unlike it was 30 odd years ago. Pen1stone station was splendid back then anorl, a far cry from what you see today. Edda walk thru Thurgoland tunnels a couple o year ago and the old Wortley station building remains a couple o miles darn track although it now been converted into a house, lovely building though.

Further up the line towards Manchester thaz got woodhead tunnels starting at Dunford bridge. Original tunnels designed and engineered by our very own Joseph Locke. Over 3 miles long and when they were built they were the longest railway tunnels in the world. Many engineers of the time said a railway couldn't be built over the pennines but Locke managed it, an amazing feat of engineering at the time. Many navvies (railway builders) lost their lives on the project. Not untypical back then but Navvies in my eyes are unsung heroes and probably the hardest workers since pyramid builders. The woodhead tunnels now house electric cables. A new woodhead tunnel was built after the war because Lockes tunnels were past their best and couldn't house the overhead wires designed for the class 76 locos intended to run on them.

One day I intend to walk the whole route from Barnsley to Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Thanks Exile 👍

I've seen them electric trains running through on that line pass same as cud'eth and Royston stations which were steam trains Royston even had what they used to call"sheds" where they were repaired etc I don't know if that Royston line is still operating but the stations and"sheds" have gone

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    I've seen them electric trains running through on that line pass same as cud'eth and Royston stations which were steam trains Royston even had what they used to call"sheds" where they were repaired etc I don't know if that Royston line is still operating but the stations and"sheds" have gone

That's a part of the town's disused railway that I'm unfamiliar with Dools. A grew up in Kingstone and Kendray so dint venture over royston way very much. A used to knock abart rarnd oyle mill behind Barnsley main muck stack when a worra young un and a remember seeing the footings for the Oaks viaduct that stretched over river Dearn valley. That must've been a big structure to bridge over that. Still cant imagine it being there to be honest but i assume it went towards cudeth. Thuz a few interconnecting old railways rarnd stairfoot which still bridge over stairfoot rarndabart and onto wombwell. Blacker hill still ed signal boxes when a wo younger but they were vandalised and eventually demolished. Hard to imagine these all in working order when tha thinks that all we left wi is a crappy bus on wheels that connects us to Sheffield and Leeds.