+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: First signing ......

First signing ......

....almost over the line, it will happen in the next few days.
    Downing won't change a great deal, but will give us stability. Makes sense to me, Conway out, him in. Good bit of business.

Things are now starting to happen.
    I'm hearing we are rapidly closing in on signing a young keeper from Norwich. Not sure where this leaves Raya? Will he stay or leave, I don't know.
    I'm trying to figure out what this keepers name is?

Jon mckracken
    Good young keeper,but I will feel a little disappointed in this.
    I thought we were going for a experienced championship keeper to challenge raya for the shirt not another unproven player.
    Anyhow back to the original post,I feel ok now about downing.
    His experience will be so valuable to a largely young team,and wont have the rock the boat attitude that possibly rodwell had.

I think I just need to sit back and see how things pan out. As I always jump the gun, as I'm an excitable old soul!!
    I was expecting an experienced keeper to come in. I know nothing about Phil McCrakin (see what I did there?? ) so I'm probs best saying nothing. Not sure where this leaves the keeper situation? Maybe Raya will leave, who knows.

I'm quite happy with Downing's arrival too. I'm not expecting him to feature in every game. However - as Champs said - it's like getting another Conway, but with a touch more class. His reputation in terms of character should also mean he is an excellent mentor for our youngsters.
    It's a long time since we had a player with 35 England caps!
    I haven't been to the Telegraph site yet. No doubt this is the end of the world for some.
    I'm not 100% convinced we need another keeper as long as Raya stays. Again, I can't see we're going to get anyone significantly better, if all he is doing is taking up a position as Raya's understudy. Who would be happy with that?
    If this McCracken comes, surely that is to cover the U-23s, not the first team. Albinson has been released, and with Fisher possibly needed on the 1st XI bench sometimes, the only keeper available for the U-23s would be the 17-year-old Eastham.
    I simply can't see that someone who has just turned 19 is going to be part of this "experienced" spine TM has talked about.

I keep hearing 5 are due to come in from TM and the club. Going back to last season, I don't believe Brereton was ever a main target. It was merely we didn't end up spending our budget and we had a chance of signing a lad for the future. TM insists in a season time, people will be asking him how he got BB for such a cheap fee. Maybe we are just seeing an opportunity with this young keeper. A long term replacement for Leutwiller, and someone who can push Raya.
    Of the 5 coming in, if that ends up being the correct number, I do think 3 of those will be experienced. Hanley? If he came that's another.
    Is it Sambou we where after from Everton? He was offered a new contract but turned it down. I'm hearing we are going to go back in for him. Give it another 7-10 days and I'd expect quite a few clubs starting to do business.
    As you said Aucks, the Prem loan market generally doesn't function until they are all back and clubs know 100% who is staying or leaving. Then they begin to start letting lads out on loan. As always it will be last minute scramble to get everything done ,& over the line. In the end, the majority will say we just ran out of time. Crazy when the window has been open for a long time now. I fail to understand why deals aren't finalised at the end of the season. And pre-agreed deals left while the players and managers all go away on holls.

Totally agree with that. June, in particular, is a waste of time. Hundreds of rumours and very little action.
    If we do go for Sambou, I'm assuming that's the end for Nuttall, as they are similar in terms of age, experience, etc.
    Still not the "experienced" signing we're expecting, though. I wonder if that money will be reserved for a centre-back. What I'd like to see most is a midfield play-maker, but someone of the right quality would completely blow the budget.

Myself personally
    We desperately need to sort the defence out.
    If nyambe and bell got injured,who do we have to fill in?both Williams and Bennett proved to be past their best at full back.
    We looked very shaky with mulgrew alongside lenihan,so the need to improve there is also a must.
    Williams looked good at the back,but a proper centre half alongside lenihan will help no end.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)