+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Current Squad Possibilities

Current Squad Possibilities

I posted this on the Telegraph site too, but I'm more likely to get constructive discussion here!

If we combine our current first-team squad and the official U-23s, we get the following options (with some players appearing more than once, for obvious reasons):
    GK: Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher
    FB: Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Bennett, Travis, Hart, Rankin-Costello, Thompson
    CB: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Williams, Nyambe, Wharton, Magloire, Grayson, Platt, Doyle, Carter, Annesley
    DM: Travis, Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Bennett, Rodwell, Mols, Lyons
    Central Play-makers: Travis, Downing, Rothwell, Buckley, Lyons, Evans
    Attack-minded CM: Rothwell, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Paton, Vale
    WR: Bennett, Chapman, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Armstrong, Brereton
    WL: Downing, Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong, Gladwin
    Inside Forward/Secondary Striker/No.10: Dack, Armstrong, Butterworth, Samuel, Brereton, Rothwell, Vale
    CF: Graham, Nuttall, Samuel, Armstrong, Butterworth, Brereton.

It’s actually quite tricky to put this together, especially as so many of the U-23s have had to be versatile, given the dominance of defenders in that squad. Also, roles commonly overlap in the modern game.
    Most calls from supporters have been for an experienced centre-back and a “second Graham”. Fair enough – we can all see that – but if we are going to spend one larger sum, isn’t the greater need a central midfielder who can run a game?
    None of the ones I’ve pencilled in really have that ability on the evidence so far, especially in terms of being able to play defence-splitting passes (although it’s early days for someone like Travis). TM doesn’t seem to rate Rothwell in that role, so I wonder if Downing will be tried, failing an appropriate signing.
    The trouble is, the type of player we want is unlikely to be available for a club like ours. That is, someone in his mid-twenties, with considerable experience of the Championship, and genuine play-maker quality. Perhaps there will be a “redundant” PL loanee at the last minute, but it would be nice to be able to look beyond that.

Unfortunately without the required players,this current squad is no better than where we finished last season.
    This was the one where we flirt with the play offs,possibly sneak in.
    We are currently nowhere near in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I posted this on the Telegraph site too, but I'm more likely to get constructive discussion here!

If we combine our current first-team squad and the official U-23s, we get the following options (with some players appearing more than once, for obvious reasons):
    GK: Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher
    FB: Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Bennett, Travis, Hart, Rankin-Costello, Thompson
    CB: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Williams, Nyambe, Wharton, Magloire, Grayson, Platt, Doyle, Carter, Annesley
    DM: Travis, Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Bennett, Rodwell, Mols, Lyons
    Central Play-makers: Travis, Downing, Rothwell, Buckley, Lyons, Evans
    Attack-minded CM: Rothwell, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Paton, Vale
    WR: Bennett, Chapman, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Armstrong, Brereton
    WL: Downing, Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong, Gladwin
    Inside Forward/Secondary Striker/No.10: Dack, Armstrong, Butterworth, Samuel, Brereton, Rothwell, Vale
    CF: Graham, Nuttall, Samuel, Armstrong, Butterworth, Brereton.

It’s actually quite tricky to put this together, especially as so many of the U-23s have had to be versatile, given the dominance of defenders in that squad. Also, roles commonly overlap in the modern game.
    Most calls from supporters have been for an experienced centre-back and a “second Graham”. Fair enough – we can all see that – but if we are going to spend one larger sum, isn’t the greater need a central midfielder who can run a game?
    None of the ones I’ve pencilled in really have that ability on the evidence so far, especially in terms of being able to play defence-splitting passes (although it’s early days for someone like Travis). TM doesn’t seem to rate Rothwell in that role, so I wonder if Downing will be tried, failing an appropriate signing.
    The trouble is, the type of player we want is unlikely to be available for a club like ours. That is, someone in his mid-twenties, with considerable experience of the Championship, and genuine play-maker quality. Perhaps there will be a “redundant” PL loanee at the last minute, but it would be nice to be able to look beyond that.
    The first thing I'd look at there, is how many of the young players coming through will actually play? Butterworth is possibly the most advanced last season. He made one Sub appearance. Maglorie also only played twice. He is miles (and I mean miles) ahead of Wharton and Grayson.
    Gladwin won't play, neither will Grayson, Wharton, Paton, Hart, Lyons, Platt, Doyle, Carter, Annesley, Thompson.
    Vale is still extremely young, still a ****ager. He may get on the bench if he's still scoring goals, but will still find himself behind Nuttall. Who will be 3rd or 4th choice for the first team. In short, quite a large % of the lads wont actually make it. Like every season. Quite a few of the lads I mentioned, will end up leaving. Only the real creme of the crop will get in and around the first team. So that drastically changes the numbers.

None of the ones I’ve pencilled in really have that ability on the evidence so far, especially in terms of being able to play defence-splitting passes (although it’s early days for someone like Travis)

I totally agree Auks. Plus, I feel we MUST stick with him. He is still so young. Not being too OTT here, if our coaches and manager are any good, a young player will continue to improve. I fully expect him to carry on improving. His passing has to. I do feel he will carry on improving, and will become a top player. He has all the ingredients.
    Evans wont get better. Bennett wont get better. Smallwood simply isn't good enough to play in the Champ. And wont get any better. Davenport and Travis will.

TM doesn’t seem to rate Rothwell in that role, so I wonder if Downing will be tried, failing an appropriate signing.

I agree, I think Downing will be brought inside some games. There is a reason Rothwell isn't trusted. For the same reason he was benched for the majority of the season. He does not track back. Therefore he leaves us woefully exposed. That's my concern with playing Armstrong, Chapman or Rothwell. None of them track back. Our FB's are to exposed, too young, not good enough as defenders to be left one on one.
    Any side with a half decent coaching staff, and half decent players soon sussed us out. Just after xmas.
    We leave our full backs completely exposed.
    Rothwell was the main culprit. He got game time early, but proved he was unable to understand a pretty basic requisite for a pro footballer. So he was left benched until he showed he could do that. Which took until the end of the season.

I think we will play a different system next season.
    3 Centre halves. Whcih wont expose Charlie as much (not sure he will stay though, I think we will let him leave)
    2 Wing backs, which doesn't expose our lads too much.
    3 centrally in midfield.
    One wide man
    A number 10
    And a striker in the DG mould.

I wanted to add something.
    Rankin Costello is one that is really interesting me.
    He could even leap ahead of Nyambe as he is a very effective wingback.
    The crucial thing is, he has being playing in that exact system (3 at the back, 2 wingbacks) and is performing extremely well. I think he will be one that does break into the first team this forthcoming season.
    Same with Buckley, who is also very much ready and waiting to step in.

Clearly we need a few more players but I'd love to see us with three at the back.
    As for the playoffs, no, not for me, far too soon. I'm just looking for further improvement.
    If this squad was in the Prem they would break all records and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    Clearly we need a few more players but I'd love to see us with three at the back.
    As for the playoffs, no, not for me, far too soon. I'm just looking for further improvement.
    If this squad was in the Prem they would break all records and not in a good way.

True. I know Venkys have pretty much reached the end of the road with us. Hence the talk of someone buying us has suddenly resurfaced. While I don't think they will leave us high and dry and simply walk away. They are looking at the investment every season. And the fact they are getting nothing back.
    We simply can't grow. Blackburn as a town is one of the poorest in the UK.
    Even if we ever got back up, we would never get decent crowds vrs the likes of Brighton etc. We wouldn't even get anything close to 20k. We would only every get a decent crowd vrs Man Utd, City, Liverpool.
    So we will never ever be able to spend any serious money.
    Christ, it affects us all now. Thats the reason (I think) almost all the clubs have not even started looking around for players. Most of our division are in Birmingham City's position. Including us.
    I'd say 85% of our league are extremley concerned about FFP, being docked points, and being banned from signing anyone. Because the majority are in a real mess.
    What sets us aside, is we get woefully poor crowds in comparison to the others. So we generate so much less in revenue.
    We have a saving grace, we have some good young players coming through. But we have no way of growing and getting better as a club. Venkys will likely never get a penny back. And that will only get worse every season.

Unfortunately, it's hard to disagree with most of that, Champs.
    On the brighter side, all of the following are going to Austria:
    Brereton, Buckley, Butterworth, Chapman, Davenport, Fisher, Grayson, Hart, Lyons, Magloire, Nuttall, Rankin-Costello, Wharton.
    Just about all of that 13 still qualify for the U-23 team. That is very encouraging, and there are several others not far behind.
    The biggest-question-mark now hangs over Nuttall. If no experienced No.9 gets signed, I assume he will be kept at Ewood. If someone DOES come in, he will surely look elsewhere. I think he would do well in D.1/D.2, and I did wonder if he might be another Gary Bowyer would be keen to sign.
    I'm not writing him off, but it looks like he is never going to escape being a fringe-player for us.

Just to add, 17 of the 23 players going to Austria are 23 or under!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Unfortunately, it's hard to disagree with most of that, Champs.
    On the brighter side, all of the following are going to Austria:
    Brereton, Buckley, Butterworth, Chapman, Davenport, Fisher, Grayson, Hart, Lyons, Magloire, Nuttall, Rankin-Costello, Wharton.
    Just about all of that 13 still qualify for the U-23 team. That is very encouraging, and there are several others not far behind.
    The biggest-question-mark now hangs over Nuttall. If no experienced No.9 gets signed, I assume he will be kept at Ewood. If someone DOES come in, he will surely look elsewhere. I think he would do well in D.1/D.2, and I did wonder if he might be another Gary Bowyer would be keen to sign.
    I'm not writing him off, but it looks like he is never going to escape being a fringe-player for us.
    Bloody hell Auks!! I am the negative one, you are the sensible one that's meant to say its not that bad, chill out!! Don't agree or I will start to get worried.
    Despite all that I say, we are no different to the majority of sides in this division. To a large degree, we are now very well run. So will only operate within our own budget. I get this feeling Venky's want to spend money, and go for it. The ones stopping them doing so, are TM and Waggott.
    You can look at this another way, we could spend a load of money, and fail in getting up. Look at Derby etc etc etc etc.
    This league is full of sides spending ££ they simply don't have, and when you fail, you pile on the pressure, and risk your future. The way we are doing it, is fair. And to be expected.
    It all goes back to one thing, we get (on a good day) 12k through the turnstiles. So we have to operate within that boundary. Meaning we are scrapping around looking for players on a budget. Like almost everyone else.
    We are all in the same mess, and I guess that all evens out.
    I do get the feeling, after what happened to Birmingham last season, that alot of clubs are stuck. And are being extra careful not to spend what they don't have.
    The stupid money in the Prem has caused all this. The best talent are sat in Under 23 squads unable to break into their parent club, due to the fact they sign ready made players off the shelf for huge prices. And they stockpile all the best of the rest and keep them in the reserve league.
    So we are all waiting for the loan market. Which just isn't a good way of doing business.

re Nuttall, I am aware Bury are wanting to sign him. He comes from Bury, and lives there. But they would struggle to afford him. He would perfect for a club like them, at the correct level for him. He is a perfectly good Div1 striker.
    Bradford are throwing quite alot at trying to come back up. And supporting Bowyer. He would walk it down at theat level. And I feel he should aim higher. He is better than that. He just isn't quite up to the rigours of the Champ on a regular basis.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)