I posted this on the Telegraph site too, but I'm more likely to get constructive discussion here!

If we combine our current first-team squad and the official U-23s, we get the following options (with some players appearing more than once, for obvious reasons):
GK: Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher
FB: Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Bennett, Travis, Hart, Rankin-Costello, Thompson
CB: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Williams, Nyambe, Wharton, Magloire, Grayson, Platt, Doyle, Carter, Annesley
DM: Travis, Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Bennett, Rodwell, Mols, Lyons
Central Play-makers: Travis, Downing, Rothwell, Buckley, Lyons, Evans
Attack-minded CM: Rothwell, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Paton, Vale
WR: Bennett, Chapman, Downing, Rankin-Costello, Armstrong, Brereton
WL: Downing, Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong, Gladwin
Inside Forward/Secondary Striker/No.10: Dack, Armstrong, Butterworth, Samuel, Brereton, Rothwell, Vale
CF: Graham, Nuttall, Samuel, Armstrong, Butterworth, Brereton.

It’s actually quite tricky to put this together, especially as so many of the U-23s have had to be versatile, given the dominance of defenders in that squad. Also, roles commonly overlap in the modern game.
Most calls from supporters have been for an experienced centre-back and a “second Graham”. Fair enough – we can all see that – but if we are going to spend one larger sum, isn’t the greater need a central midfielder who can run a game?
None of the ones I’ve pencilled in really have that ability on the evidence so far, especially in terms of being able to play defence-splitting passes (although it’s early days for someone like Travis). TM doesn’t seem to rate Rothwell in that role, so I wonder if Downing will be tried, failing an appropriate signing.
The trouble is, the type of player we want is unlikely to be available for a club like ours. That is, someone in his mid-twenties, with considerable experience of the Championship, and genuine play-maker quality. Perhaps there will be a “redundant” PL loanee at the last minute, but it would be nice to be able to look beyond that.