+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harper

Harper

Press reports Liverpool and Juventus have joined the list of clubs now interested in signing him, can they see something because on the few occasions I've seen him he's failed to impress.

Harper has got all the raw ingredients apart from that Mulumbu type movement around the park. Bigger clubs can see that and will look to add to his game. Let’s face it, when names like Liverpool and Juventus are mentioned to a young lad how the hell is he going to commit to us? Might aswell plan for the future without him, I can’t bare another Berahino situation.

It’s galling enough to lose a potentially good player who we produced from our academy, it’s even more galling when they leave for peanuts. Right now we live in a world of peanuts, Lai, Harper, Jenkins, Gayle, blah blah blah.

https://youtu.be/TxbIU0X-lCI

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    Harper has got all the raw ingredients apart from that Mulumbu type movement around the park. Bigger clubs can see that and will look to add to his game. Let’s face it, when names like Liverpool and Juventus are mentioned to a young lad how the hell is he going to commit to us? Might aswell plan for the future without him, I can’t bare another Berahino situation.

It’s galling enough to lose a potentially good player who we produced from our academy, it’s even more galling when they leave for peanuts. Right now we live in a world of peanuts, Lai, Harper, Jenkins, Gayle, blah blah blah.

https://youtu.be/TxbIU0X-lCI
    does he really believe he’s gonna play for these clubs,like the ones who went before,left by the wayside. If he’s lucky and gets his finger out might play a couple of games for the reserves.

Unless he picks up his work rate, he will struggle to make our bench!

If he is really lucky he may get loaned back to us immediately as that seems to be another option these days!!
    It appears Leeds are apparently looking to do that with the proposed sale of Jack Clarke to Tottenham according to the Express. Crazy the whole lot of it and again money at the root of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    does he really believe he’s gonna play for these clubs,like the ones who went before,left by the wayside. If he’s lucky and gets his finger out might play a couple of games for the reserves.

Another Berahino! What do they say about chips on shoulders?

They want him for their reserves. Do any of us honestly think he would make their first team?

Harsh to compare him to Berahino. Unless the local papers up there have reported otherwise I've not seen anything about him kicking off like the incredible sulk did. As yet I've not been too impressed with his game but still feel it is wrong how these clubs can take academy players from clubs like us so cheaply.

The poaching of players of all ages to the bigger clubs needs addressing in my opinion. When most of the top 6 clubs can have 30+ professional players of all ages out at other clubs on loan is just plainly ridiculous to me. Yes occasionally clubs like us get a bit of benefit from the likes of the Harvey Barnes loan but it is hardly a drop in the ocean compared to the negatives.

Surely we only have to look at other sports who have addressed this problem with such as pay caps for the squad etc. I know football would not do that but they need to find a way to make it a fairer system not only for the competition but also so that the whole game is in a healthier state.

I don’t think we can be criticised as a club over the Harper situation. We gave him his first professional contract in August 2017 for 2 years as a raw 17 year old. Promising yes but nothing more. That contract is now expiring and we are trying to get him (plus no doubt all his agents!) to agree to a new contract based on our now Championship wage structure and income.

Can’t blame him for having his head turned at the names being banded about but can’t see it going any other way that the likes of Izzy Brown and many others. Another rich lad, because of the income coming in from tv, who will probably spend all or most of his time sat watching football rather than playing it. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by splinter View Post
    Press reports Liverpool and Juventus have joined the list of clubs now interested in signing him, can they see something because on the few occasions I've seen him he's failed to impress.
    There is something in him, he does have talent. And he's young enough to improve. But what I don't like about him is his urgency, or lack of.

He seems too laid back and needs to improve his workrate. I don't think he'll be getting into a premier league first team anytime soon. So I would have thought its best for his career to stay with us.

But then, money talks and I imagine he'll get a better offer elsewhere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)