+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women’s World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yep...fair point Ram...but would anyone who isn’t a fan of Chesterfield or Belper Town actually choose to watch...for long?

You may well be right about the honesty aspect too...my simple point is that the best footballers, cricketers, rugby players, tennis players, golfers, basketball players, swimmers, runners (distance and sprinters), boxers etc are men and, in comparison, womens’ sport is second rate.

I’m all for womens’ sport and I don’t believe that women should play ‘second fiddle’ in any other way but let’s not kid ourselves, where sport is concerned...largely perhaps because of the strength factor...womens’ sport is invariably second best and, from what little I’ve seen, the WWC is no exception.
    Apart from the Brazilian, Marta, the women aren't clamouring for equal pay.... yet. IMO they shouldn't get it either. Why? For now, at any rate, the women's game generates less gate money, less sponsorship money, less advertising revenue, less TV money then the men's game.

Seems simple logic to me.

I have watched quite a few of the games in France and, with the exception of Cameroon yesterday, Refereeing decisions have been accepted and there has been no mass pressure on the ref about a decision. There has been a distinct lack of diving. A distinct lack of dangerous tackles. A distinct lack of standing next to the ball to prevent a quick free quick being taken, a distinct lack of walking/running away with the ball qo a quick free kick or throw in can't be taken, a distinct lack of feigning injury.

The men can learn a lot from the women in general on how to play the game fairly and from Cameroon in particular on how not to......

My point is that sport can be entertaining to watch at many levels, as long as its competitive.

Millions of people enjoy watching their teams or players at all levels of sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    My point is that sport can be entertaining to watch at many levels, as long as its competitive.

Millions of people enjoy watching their teams or players at all levels of sport.
    Totally agree.

There is something about team sports where I find watching women participate to be tedious. In individual sports the drop off in quality is not so obvious, eg tennis, athletics, swimming, golf where women's sport is very watchable. But football, cricket, rugby, no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Apart from the Brazilian, Marta, the women aren't clamouring for equal pay.... yet. IMO they shouldn't get it either. Why? For now, at any rate, the women's game generates less gate money, less sponsorship money, less advertising revenue, less TV money then the men's game.

I have watched quite a few of the games in France and, with the exception of Cameroon yesterday, Refereeing decisions have been accepted and there has been no mass pressure on the ref about a decision. There has been a distinct lack of diving. A distinct lack of dangerous tackles. A distinct lack of standing next to the ball to prevent a quick free quick being taken, a distinct lack of walking/running away with the ball qo a quick free kick or throw in can't be taken, a distinct lack of feigning injury.

The men can learn a lot from the women in general on how to play the game fairly and from Cameroon in particular on how not to......
    MA The women's England squad consists of 30 played all on a contract of a minimum £25,000 rising to £30,000 with bonuses This is a separate contract to what their clubs pay them Steph Houghton is paid £70,000 a year by Man Cty besides he England contract Peanuts compared to the men

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    MA The women's England squad consists of 30 played all on a contract of a minimum £25,000 rising to £30,000 with bonuses This is a separate contract to what their clubs pay them Steph Houghton is paid £70,000 a year by Man Cty besides he England contract Peanuts compared to the men
    No arguments from me on the relative pay scales Mista. However, the men's game generates much more income from TV, sponsors and advertising revenue and that is, rightly in my view, mirrored in the women's pay levels. It is also easier for the men at the top to force a departure and get more a week than Steph Houghton does in a year.

IMO the women should not be saying we play 90 minutes football a week just like the men so we should get equal pay. They can claim that when the women's game generates as much income as the men's game. Simple economics at play here and absolutely no ***- or other -ism. Market forces.

No arguments from me on the relative pay scales Mista. However, the men's game generates much more income from TV, sponsors and advertising revenue and that is, rightly in my view, mirrored in the women's pay levels. It is also easier for the men at the top to force a departure and get more a week than Steph Houghton does in a year.

IMO the women should not be saying we play 90 minutes football a week just like the men so we should get equal pay. They can claim that when the women's game generates as much income as the men's game. Simple economics at play here and absolutely no ***- or other -ism. Market forces.
    Yes your right but I'm yet to hear a female player say they should get equal pay They are no different from the men in that market forces and the best players will usually get the best pay ( except messers Anya Martin and Thorne )

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    There is something about team sports where I find watching women participate to be tedious. In individual sports the drop off in quality is not so obvious, eg tennis, athletics, swimming, golf where women's sport is very watchable. But football, cricket, rugby, no thanks
    The ‘drop off’ is, imo, just as marked in individual sports...tennis, less sets...golf, shorter tee off placement, athletics and swimming, slower times, but beyond that I do agree with you.

Having said that...all in favour of mixed sports and, speaking from experience, I can assure you that women hockey players can be savage.

Yes, it makes you realise just what a bunch of cheats our respective teams really are. It's taken for granted too.

I think women's football can be entertaining in itself and it seems to be growing in popularity. I can honestly say I've enjoyed watching the England women team play and yes, with just a tinge of patriotism. Not that they're going to win the trophy, not in the same league as USA and France.

It's also refreshing not to have placards with let's kick whites (sorry, racism) out of football, moaning and whinging about flying bananas, token black mascots, etc. Long may the women's game prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Yes, it makes you realise just what a bunch of cheats our respective teams really are. It's taken for granted too.

I think women's football can be entertaining in itself and it seems to be growing in popularity. I can honestly say I've enjoyed watching the England women team play and yes, with just a tinge of patriotism. Not that they're going to win the trophy, not in the same league as USA and France.

It's also refreshing not to have placards with let's kick whites (sorry, racism) out of football, moaning and whinging about flying bananas, token black mascots, etc. Long may the women's game prosper.
    That last paragraph...reminds me of that old Cyndi Lauper song...what was it called?
    Oh yeah...’True Colours’!

Not surprised Acido tells us you don’t post on the Barnsley site anymore...any chance of you taking your prejudicial bollux away from ours too?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)