+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Women’s World Cup

How was that a pen against China last night? I know there have been some rule changes but that was outrageous, the poor girl had no chance.. If that is what the PL is going to get next season, good luck..
    Not a fan of VAR or rules.

Prince Phillip was probably the ref

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Yes your right but I'm yet to hear a female player say they should get equal pay They are no different from the men in that market forces and the best players will usually get the best pay ( except messers Anya Martin and Thorne )
    The entire USA squad are in conflict with the US FA whatever they are called. They are claiming a pay rise. They play more games than the men's team but get paid less. They want equality.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The entire USA squad are in conflict with the US FA whatever they are called. They are claiming a pay rise. They play more games than the men's team but get paid less. They want equality.
    What they should do is bring the blokes salary down to the same as the womens!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    That last paragraph...reminds me of that old Cyndi Lauper song...what was it called?
    Oh yeah...’True Colours’!

Not surprised Acido tells us you don’t post on the Barnsley site anymore...any chance of you taking your prejudicial bollux away from ours too?
    Tee hee

I'll use prejudicial bollux next time I play scrabble.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yep...fair point Ram...but would anyone who isn’t a fan of Chesterfield or Belper Town actually choose to watch...for long?

You may well be right about the honesty aspect too...my simple point is that the best footballers, cricketers, rugby players, tennis players, golfers, basketball players, swimmers, runners (distance and sprinters), boxers etc are men and, in comparison, womens’ sport is second rate.

I’m all for womens’ sport and I don’t believe that women should play ‘second fiddle’ in any other way but let’s not kid ourselves, where sport is concerned...largely perhaps because of the strength factor...womens’ sport is invariably second best and, from what little I’ve seen, the WWC is no exception.
    I guess it depends upon what you mean by best? There is obviously the physical differences but not quite sure how you can say that mens running, swimming, boxing etc. is "better" its different. In terms of the football given how long its been a professional sport for women, I'd say the quality wasn't bad.

Not quite sure how the BBC come in for criticism for screening it either, surely its good that they are giving it greater exposure? But they are not responsible for the overall promotion of the game, thats down to the football authorities actually supporting and raising the profile.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I guess it depends upon what you mean by best? There is obviously the physical differences but not quite sure how you can say that mens running, swimming, boxing etc. is "better" its different. In terms of the football given how long its been a professional sport for women, I'd say the quality wasn't bad.

Not quite sure how the BBC come in for criticism for screening it either, surely its good that they are giving it greater exposure? But they are not responsible for the overall promotion of the game, thats down to the football authorities actually supporting and raising the profile.
    I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's game, the standard IMO has shot up, and certainly since DCFC's own womens team, Hector's Edition, used to draw a crowd of leches and pervs to King George Playing Fields back in the early 70s

It's probably the only football that the BBC can afford to buy the rights to show

I didn’t understand the BBC criticism either, Swale.

By ‘best’ I meant as far as it is quantifiable. In athletics, including swimming, the ‘best’ is quantified in terms of time and distance and the most successful (best) practitioners - i.e. world record holders - are all male.

In team sports it’s harder but I guess the ultimate question is, how many leading female players would be able to hack it amongst the top professional male players and the answer, I think, is none...not even close.

That is certainly true of sports that women haven’t traditionally had access to for very long (football, cricket, rugby) but I suspect it is also true of sports where there is a longer history of full female involvement...tennis, golf, hockey for example.

Not for one moment am I disrespecting women, or women’s sport. I believe totally in absolute equality in all other walks of life but in sport I doubt there can ever be a level playing field however skilful or entertaining all women or mixed competition may be.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 27-06-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Do women participate in that Jessie's game of rugby league?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)