+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Actually Going To Sign Anyone ?

The £25 million is clearly a typo, they mean £2.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The £25 million is clearly a typo, they mean £2.5 million.
    We are after him on loan. What else?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We are after him on loan. What else?
    Keeping the serious money back for the raft of big signings to come BT, don't knock it.

... just intent on making as much money as we can while our luck lasts. We know we cannot compete with the financial clout of even clubs like Wolves and Leicester...
    I think you're right, but to be honest I'm all in favour of that approach; for a town/club the size of Burnley then even the Championship is punching above our weight, but the dry-powder room currently being accumulated can ensure we stay at least there for several years to come. Simple economics indicate that the current financial-fantasy world that is the pinnacle of professional football cannot be sustained, somewhere down the line - it might be another ten years, or just as easily only half of that time - the whole edifice is going to implode. The very biggest clubs around Europe will weather that storm and so will those smaller clubs who've had the good sense once they've got onto the gravy-train of being conservative about what they do with the current magic-money, but those inbetween will fall like nine-pins. I can recall BFC being potless, I also recall our playing a brand of football that makes the current 'hoofball' so often complained about on here look like Barcelona or Brazil and I don't want to see either of those again.
    Whilst we may currently be able to compete financially with Wolves, Leicester and the like in bidding for players, we aren't (in 2019) an as attractive proposition to those players themselves, so we don't just have to beat their contract offers to get the players in, we'd need to blow them away and that again is not sensible or sustainable. However, those same players or their followers though will likely be fighting for the chance to play for a solvent Burnley in a few years time, when we are one of the thirty rather than ninety-odd full time pro-clubs that still exist in England.
    I like our being in the Premiership, but rather the Championship or even League 1 than not existing at all; all power to our current Directors and Management, don't follow the path of Leeds. Bradford, Rovers, Portsmouth....this list could go on forever...to bankruptcy and pain, keep us solvent and we might well be the only one of 'the original twelve' from the end of the 19th century who're still around at the end of the 21st.

Keeping the serious money back for the raft of big signings to come BT, don't knock it.
    There will not be any "big signings" sinkov.

The despatcher will now only take bookings from Turf Moor for fans who want to go home.

25m yet Wigan were after him I think they might have hiked the price up once we made contact. even on loan a 25m player is out of Wigans reach the loan fee alone would probably take their entire transfer budget for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by afloatinclaret View Post
    I think you're right, but to be honest I'm all in favour of that approach; for a town/club the size of Burnley then even the Championship is punching above our weight, but the dry-powder room currently being accumulated can ensure we stay at least there for several years to come. Simple economics indicate that the current financial-fantasy world that is the pinnacle of professional football cannot be sustained, somewhere down the line - it might be another ten years, or just as easily only half of that time - the whole edifice is going to implode. The very biggest clubs around Europe will weather that storm and so will those smaller clubs who've had the good sense once they've got onto the gravy-train of being conservative about what they do with the current magic-money, but those inbetween will fall like nine-pins. I can recall BFC being potless, I also recall our playing a brand of football that makes the current 'hoofball' so often complained about on here look like Barcelona or Brazil and I don't want to see either of those again.
    Whilst we may currently be able to compete financially with Wolves, Leicester and the like in bidding for players, we aren't (in 2019) an as attractive proposition to those players themselves, so we don't just have to beat their contract offers to get the players in, we'd need to blow them away and that again is not sensible or sustainable. However, those same players or their followers though will likely be fighting for the chance to play for a solvent Burnley in a few years time, when we are one of the thirty rather than ninety-odd full time pro-clubs that still exist in England.
    I like our being in the Premiership, but rather the Championship or even League 1 than not existing at all; all power to our current Directors and Management, don't follow the path of Leeds. Bradford, Rovers, Portsmouth....this list could go on forever...to bankruptcy and pain, keep us solvent and we might well be the only one of 'the original twelve' from the end of the 19th century who're still around at the end of the 21st.
    Thank you very much afloat for bringing a bit of reality to this board.

Excellent post.

I just knew you would like afloatinclarets post 59

Quote Originally Posted by afloatinclaret View Post
    Hard to disagree with the above but I've yet to find a Burnley fan who advocates chucking the kitchen sink at. No one wants to put the future of the club at risk, but there is a balance to be struck and we appear to be erring on the side of caution financially. It's two years now since we signed a player who actually strengthened the team, and with less than five weeks to go there are no signs of transfer activity at Turf Moor. It's not easy to get into the PL, I think many fans just find it disappointing, to say the least, that having achieved that the board seem quite content for us to be relegated again. I've heard Garlick say we could become a yo-yo club like WBA, best of luck with that, where are WBA playing next season ?

I have to agree with Sinkov- nobody is saying blow all the dry powder money on a few players but at least invest in some promising young players like Che Adams but it is quite obvious come 5 weeks time we are going to hear the same old record from Dyche about transfers and how we cannot compete on wages etc then we will probably see a England has-been arrive to placate the sheep-but even those are running out fast with Jagielka gone and Cahill seemingly off to Villa.
    The lack of ambition from the club is startling.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)