I'm totally in favour of VAR for two main reasons.

First, it is already vastly reducing the number of officiating mistakes in what is now a highly professional, big money game where referees repeatedly saying "sorry guys, I got it wrong, but that's football" just isn't good enough. We're not in the jumpers for goalposts era now.

Secondly, it's inevitable. Technology is changing every aspect of our lives and football is just one of those aspects. The genie isn't going to go back in the bottle whether we (initially) like it or not, so the real task now is to refine and develop the system so it takes as little time as possible and becomes as normal a part of the rules as offside or penalty kicks.

I do agree that some work needs to be done on either the description or interpretation of "clear and obvious", because some of the recent overturned decisions have been marginal. That said, in most of those cases it's still true that the marginally correct call has been made.

The aim of officials in any sport must be to try to get as many decisions right as possible, because that offers the best chance of a fair outcome. VAR doesn't guarantee a correct decision every time, but it greatly enhances the likelihood.