+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth Barry

Gareth Barry

Tough one but would you give him another, say one year,contract, assuming he proves his fitness?

When the release notices were issued it was said that the new boss would assess whether or not to offer new contracts to James Morrison, Boaz Myhill and Gareth Barry. Looks as if the first two are probably out of the picture but for me I wouldn’t offer any of them a new contract.

All have been very good but there is a time for everyone to move on or retire and whilst I can see the argument for offering a new contract I would be saying, thanks but no thanks. What do others think?

I think that it depends on our new signings. We need to replace the likes of Morrison and Barry with similar quality. If not, then we may have to retain them for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I think that it depends on our new signings. We need to replace the likes of Morrison and Barry with similar quality. If not, then we may have to retain them for another season.
    NO NO NO we need fresh legs in midfield not old men let them go

Gareth Barry would only be useful if we had pace around him to dovetail his experience. With the likes of Harper, Brunt and Livermore still around it would be difficult to justify him being retained.

Absolutely. You cant say "If he's good enough he's old enough" and exclude older players who are still good enough. He keeps himself fit, so it would depend on the injury for me and how he gets through it. You cant put an old head on young shoulders. Barry has tons of know how and was often our man of the match when he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmeras View Post
    NO NO NO we need fresh legs in midfield not old men let them go
    I did say that it depends on who we sign. Yes, we do need young legs but we also need quality. Hopefully we can have both but I see nothing wrong with Barry or Morrison as back up.

Morrison your having a laugh he gives us nothing I can't think of one good thing he does

It's all a matter of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Tough one but would you give him another, say one year,contract, assuming he proves his fitness?

When the release notices were issued it was said that the new boss would assess whether or not to offer new contracts to James Morrison, Boaz Myhill and Gareth Barry. Looks as if the first two are probably out of the picture but for me I wouldn’t offer any of them a new contract.

All have been very good but there is a time for everyone to move on or retire and whilst I can see the argument for offering a new contract I would be saying, thanks but no thanks. What do others think?
    Get rid! They will be off injured more times than fit to play - look at Morrison! We need fresh legs.

I was at Leeds as an example and Barry was like a cart horse and no match for their fast play! Barry will still want a big salary so the money is better spent elsewhere.

Lai out!!!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)