+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hewitt Signs for Grimsby

My overriding memory of Hewitt will be one of frustration. He struggled at right back, was an OK emergency centre half and had his best games for us in midfield - but nowhere near enough of them.

I think it was the Carlisle game at home last season where we'd been outplayed for about 50-odd minutes, when he suddenly burst into life and started playing like Paul Pogba on a good day - marauding forwards, driving past players and proving a real threat. He then scored.

But there were also the many games where everything passed him by, or he'd knock crossfield pass after crossfield pass out of play, or pick up a stupid booking for kicking someone. I know the art of tackling has disappeared from the game (Ryan Yates and Mitch Rose excepted), but Hewitt was particularly poor at it.

Hope he does well at Grimsby, but for me Hewitt was part of the problem, not the solution. Mind you, it may be a while before another player racks up over 150 appearances for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Strangely enough, I said what I wanted to say in the post you quoted. You are trying to worm your way out of what I asked in that post, which is how can someone who "was and will always be a non league player" be playing at a level above next season?
    Sorry, but you didn't ask anything in that post and I am not worming my way out of anything.

Hewitt looked good alongside Yates, but when Yates left, Hewitt did nothing. That was his time to shine, but he went downhill. If he was as good as people raved about, then it wouldn't have mattered what players played alongside him as he would have stood out. Unfortunately he didn't and that showed last season. If you apply the same logic then Vaughen doesn't deserve any critism at all as if you look at his playing career, then he is head and shoulders above Hewitt. But, as we saw, he was another waste of a shirt last season, like so many others.
    This debate about Hewitt has been covered many times, so no point in going over old ground, but I am not sorry he has gone. I guess we will see how he does next season at Grimsby and how their fans rate him. Now, I think that will be worth keeping an eye on to see if their supporters are as divided as Notts fans are.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 26-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Sorry, but you didn't ask anything in that post and I am not worming my way out of anything.

Hewitt looked good alongside Yates, but when Yates left, Hewitt did nothing. That was his time to shine, but he went downhill. If he was as good as people raved about, then it wouldn't have mattered what players played alongside him as he would have stood out. Unfortunately he didn't and that showed last season. If you apply the same logic then Vaughen doesn't deserve any critism at all as if you look at his playing career, then he is head and shoulders above Hewitt. But, as we saw, he was another waste of a shirt last season, like so many others.
    This debate about Hewitt has been covered many times, so no point in going over old ground, but I am not sorry he has gone. I guess we will see how he does next season at Grimsby and how their fans rate him. Now, I think that will be worth keeping an eye on to see if their supporters are as divided as Notts fans are.
    Ò

He falls into the same category as Curtis Thompson he is no world beater but gives plenty of energy and commitment.

He like Curtis was used as a utility player if he had played most of his games in midfield he may have developed but we dont generally do that.

Good luck to him at Grimsby if people think he is poor wait until you see what we have next season.

He was crap, good riddance !
    Don’t forget he played in many matches where we were completely hammered in midfield !
    Won’t miss him at all

He is not crap he is just a basic league two footballer the fact he has got a league club shows he has something about him.

We have been hammered in midfield lots over the last 15 years so doesn’t say much for the scouts !

What I’m saying is you need to play them in their strongest position it’s the basics of coaching I would have thought and i’ll be honest he was crap at RB but managers still kept playing him there an absolute shambles of a club.

We have 19 players on the books but I believe 6/7 youth players contracts run out in a few days so we could probably train at the power league 5 a side !

It’s an absolute joke we are pretty much a month away from the first game and have just about enough to field a team with one/two subs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Haha. He's played over 200 league games by the age of 24, represented his country at u17 and u21 levels and never actually been a non-league player - unlike the rest of our current squad. But why let the facts get in the way of a bit of vitriol?
    Dave, you speak of facts, in fact you state above that players still with Notts have all played non-league football, here goes with players I don’t believe have played non-league
    - Doyle
    - Tootle
    - Hemmings
    - Enzio, not sure on some of the Dutch sides he played for

So, although I agree that Hewitt is a solid if unspectacular League 2 player. Why let FACTS get in the way?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 26-06-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error for easier reading

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    He was crap, good riddance !
    Don’t forget he played in many matches where we were completely hammered in midfield !
    Won’t miss him at all
    He's that crap but he's still in League 2, But more importantly he can go to Steel's for his fish and chips...
    Last edited by Wedgie_pie; 26-06-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: missed a word out

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Dave, you speak of facts, in fact you state above that players still with Notts have all played non-league football, here goes with players I don’t believe have played non-league
    - Doyle
    - Tootle
    - Hemmings
    - Enzio, not sure on some of the Dutch sides he played for

So, although I agree that Hewitt is a solid if unspectacular League 2 player. Why let FACTS get in the way?
    I didn't state they'd played non-league football. I stated that our current squad are non-league players, unlike Elliot Hewitt.

You really want to contest this? Remind me what league we play in now? No matter how much you CAPITALISE WORDS I don't think you're going to change fiction into FACTS.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Never understood the dislike for Hewitt. Good hard running midfielder, scores a few and breaks things up. Not a play maker but we'll worth a place in most Div 2 squads.
    Our loss.
    Echoes my thoughts exactly. He's an average L2 midfielder who's height and running make up for his lack of ability on the ball. He would have made a good NL midfielder, had we retained him.

He was an awful RB, but everyone knew that, no doubt including him. The fact we kept playing him there is not his fault.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast