+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lillian Greenwood

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    All true, but as the Supporters' Trust found out, "sustainability" doesn't float the boat of the average football fan for very long. You can talk all the financial sense you like to many football fans and all they hear is "lack of ambition".
    All l can add to the previous voices of wisdom is,
    Little Dick it appears to me the time is fast approaching for you to make provision to sell the Nottinghamshire to save the worlds oldest football league club, because if you fcuk it up the world of football and not just Notts County Supporters will be on your case.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    All true, but as the Supporters' Trust found out, "sustainability" doesn't float the boat of the average football fan for very long. You can talk all the financial sense you like to many football fans and all they hear is "lack of ambition".
    Absolutely. This club has a core support of 5,000 and on that basis alone should be sufficient to sustain it as a football league club. Our average attendance last season was comparable to a mid table league one side.

When clubs like Accrington are in League One then it shows what can be achieved with tight budgets and appointing the right people in key roles. There are other examples.

The problem with Notts is it has been on the boom and bust rollercoaster for years and money has been spent unwisely and it has had a high staff turnover rate certainly on the playing, coaching and management side. It’s left the club with debt that has been like a noose round it’s neck for too long.

Footballs got to change and get it’s act together.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Not sure you have to pay to enter admin. You certainly have to pay to exit it tho, there's normally a hefty bill from the administrators that HAS to be paid.

Anyone???
    I believe whoever appoints administrators has to fund three months running costs up front

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Absolutely. This club has a core support of 5,000 and on that basis alone should be sufficient to sustain it as a football league club. Our average attendance last season was comparable to a mid table league one side.

When clubs like Accrington are in League One then it shows what can be achieved with tight budgets and appointing the right people in key roles. There are other examples.

The problem with Notts is it has been on the boom and bust rollercoaster for years and money has been spent unwisely and it has had a high staff turnover rate certainly on the playing, coaching and management side. It’s left the club with debt that has been like a noose round it’s neck for too long.

Footballs got to change and get it’s act together.
    Here's a thought, about another group of Magpies.

Mike Ashley is not a popular figure, to say the least, but it does strike me that if Newcastle United fans think they have never known worse times, they should take a look at the likes of us.

Ashley runs Newcastle like a sustainable business these days, at least by football industry standards, only investing what the club can afford, and he aims to keep them either in the middle to bottom part of the Premier League or at worst have the occasional season in the Championship. Their fans hate it, because they want to live the dream of top four finishes and European football, but in order to do so, the club would have to spend well beyond its means without any guarantee of results.

Ashley takes a more pragmatic approach, but draws derision from Newcastle supporters and from the professional footballer and pundit world (who make a lot of money for themselves when rich businessmen write blank cheques).

I tell you what, it might be a controversial view, but I'd take Mike Ashley as our chairman right now.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-06-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Spot on Jackal I’ve been saying this for a while about Mike Ashley he doesn’t spend money the club is not earning.

All the pundits who most of them let’s face it are thick saying he should invest more etc well if it was their money I bet they would think differently.

The answer is obvious at Notts especially we have had huge squads of journeymen the last 4/5 years just give some of the youth players a chance if we survive we will have to do this anyway now.

If you make £1m a year you make sure you don’t spend over £1m a year it’s quite simple to me or you could appoint a CEO and blame them if it goes wrong like someone else did !

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Spot on Jackal I’ve been saying this for a while about Mike Ashley he doesn’t spend money the club is not earning.

All the pundits who most of them let’s face it are thick saying he should invest more etc well if it was their money I bet they would think differently.

The answer is obvious at Notts especially we have had huge squads of journeymen the last 4/5 years just give some of the youth players a chance if we survive we will have to do this anyway now.

If you make £1m a year you make sure you don’t spend over £1m a year it’s quite simple to me or you could appoint a CEO and blame them if it goes wrong like someone else did !
    Investing in football or a football club is not really an investment like other businesses, but a different term for bank rolling. That’s what owners are expected to do.

If all football club owners adopted the basic principles of spend less than what’s coming (in which probably helped them do well in business) then it would be a much level playing field based on clubs support and clubs being rewarded for being ran efficiently and appointing the right people.

But it doesn’t work like that. The whole model of football is unsustainable particular in the lower leagues. That’s why more needs to be done and the EFL are the ones who need to implement change as it’s their competition that 72 league clubs enter. There would have to be the radical policy of introducing penalties for clubs owners/shareholders (not fans) that do not run clubs within the clubs means.

It’s not fair on the fans if clubs get punished by points deductions for example entering administration.

Take for example club A is ran at a £1 profit yet finishes mid table. Club B in the same league spends £1 million over its income and misses out on promotion. The following season Club B spends another £1 million over its income and gets promoted. Club A finishes top half so a slight improvement and again is ran at £1 profit.

So club B has £2 million of debt that either needs to be paid or picked up by the owners cash reserves or by loans etc...and yet they play at a higher level than Club A.

Fans don’t care because we all want our clubs to chase the dream. After all it’s just a game.

It’s only when the bubble bursts and the survival of clubs is put under threat that it becomes real business and not a game anymore. But by then the damage has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

The problem Newcastle fans have with Ashley (I work with one) seems to be that he takes money out of the club rather than investing in it. The club is a business to him, and he runs it accordingly. If only we had such problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    More like an epitaph than a report RIP.......

That says it all

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The problem Newcastle fans have with Ashley (I work with one) seems to be that he takes money out of the club rather than investing in it. The club is a business to him, and he runs it accordingly. If only we had such problems.
    I work with a few as well so I know they don’t like him they would do well to remember they were in serious financial trouble until he came in.

I think the higher you go in the leagues the more hungry fans are for success or to spend really big I mean look at Stoke doing ok under Pulis just plodding a long but some didn’t like that so expensive players were signed and now look where they are.

Fair play to Lillian Greenwood. She seems to have asked the questions, it's not her fault that the answers weren't what we wanted to hear.

At least it's an official line of contact, which is a step up from the wall of silence that is frustrating so many of us.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast