+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillip Cocu

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Cocu has agreed a 4 year deal as the new DCFC head coach which he will sign on Wednesday. he will take with him his former PSV assistant Chris Van Der Weeden and current Jong PSV assistant Twan Scheepers as his assistants, both of them will both sign 4 year contracts.
    Very pleased about time we had a overseas manager
    First ever non British manager at Derby or is it can't think of another

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Dutch international. 3 Dutch Leagues and a Cup win in his time as Manager of PSV. He is well known for his "business-like" style of football. Some would see it as boring. He also doesn't have a great record of bringing Academy kids through. Decent enough but I don't think he ticks enough of Mel's boxes to get the job...... if he's even been contacted.

One report over here says that DCFC have already spoken to Cocu's "people" but that is has doubts about the quality of the squad now the TEN loanees have returned to their parent clubs........ Guess why I don't trust this particular "story"?
    Thats odd because from what I've read thats been his strength and why Derby are interested in him, also he is supposed to play attractive attacking football.

To quote a source - "Mel Morris has stated that a key factor in his next managerial appointment is finding someone who is willing to provide a link between the first-team and the academy, and Cocu ticks that box.

In his time at PSV he granted opportunities to several young players, some who went on to become notable names. The list includes Steven Bergwijn and Pablo Rosario, both of whom are now important players for PSV, as well as Jurgen Locadia and Memphis Depay, who both earned moves to the Premier League thanks to Cocu’s faith in them.

Also he seems to play attacking football, PSV managed 87, 88 and 92 in those years, which from 34 games is a remarkable return.

In 2014/15, Cocu’s first title-winning season, his side drew only one game as they won the league by 17 points.

None of which suggest his teams play "boring" football.

My concern would be he has no experience in england or indeed the championship, though that didn't affect Farke's succes at Norwich.

Or Wagner at Huddersfield

You seem to forget the kind of opponents they had in those seasons. Even Ajax and Feijenoord were poor.

Asked the Cocu question of my physio yesterday and stressed the "youngsters" bit. My physio takes part in football quizzes as one of his hobbies and knows a lot of background. He was also struggling to come up with kids given a chance by Cocu. We might both be wrong.......

Having a look at various files on Cocu he did bring in some 22 to 24 year olds from other clubs/countries and Rekik's loan from Man City was extebded for the 14/15 season. What I can't find is him bringing PSV Academy kids through. The 4 newbies from the DCFC Academy who were added to the first team squad for pre season by FL are under 20. Will Cocu utilise them?

My point Swale was, and I quote "He also doesn't have a great record of bringing Academy kids through". He has bought 22 year olds from other clubs. Rekik? He was there the season before and had his loan extended. I don't know if it was Cocu who did that or his predecessor. Those actions are perfectly in line with my quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Cocu has agreed a 4 year deal as the new DCFC head coach which he will sign on Wednesday. he will take with him his former PSV assistant Chris Van Der Weeden and current Jong PSV assistant Twan Scheepers as his assistants, both of them will both sign 4 year contracts.
    Not quite right Scheepers is only assistant at the Under 21 but there 12yrs to reach that

Having a look at various files on Cocu he did bring in some 22 to 24 year olds from other clubs/countries and extended Rekik's loan from Man City. What I can't find is him bringing PSV Academy kids through. The 4 newbies from the DCFC Academy who were added to the first team squad for pre season by FL are under 20. Will Cocu utilise them?

My point Swale was, and I quote "He also doesn't have a great record of bringing Academy kids through". He has bought 22 year olds from other clubs. Rekik? He was there the season before and had his loan extended. I don't know if it was Cocu who did that or his predecessor. Those actions are perfectly in line with my quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Or Wagner at Huddersfield
    Or...best example of all...Nuno Santo at Wolves.

I’m quite optimistic...best not tell the ‘Brexit boys’ we’ve gone for a European...they won’t sleep.

Stolen from elsewhere.......

Chim chimeny chim chimeny
    chim chim cheroo
    Who needs Frank Lampard
    when we've got Cocu

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Or...best example of all...Nuno Santo at Wolves.

I’m quite optimistic...best not tell the ‘Brexit boys’ we’ve gone for a European...they won’t sleep.
    🙄

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)