+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontus janssen

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Hope im wrong, but at the minute, i just see White as a loanee journeyman.
    Does he have enough experience to replace Jansson.
    Cooper had his best season but he still does not fill me with confidence.
    And Beradi, with ALL his heart, is a red card just waiting to happen.
    We need to spend.
    We needed to spend in the January TW last season billy..we didn't and we all know what happened next!

Quote Originally Posted by Flintadore View Post
    If this is about attitude then it means Jansson's 'ego' feels justified in challenging Bielsa! Now, I'm fully aware how often ego's clash, but for a player of Jansson's stature to feel he can challenging one of the all time great coaches says everything I need to know about Jansson. I can only imagine the 'powerful influence' he had when the likes of Higginbottom were here.

On his day a cracking player...but if Jansson's ego has lost it, then its best to get rid. If its for a fee of 5.5M, then that only shows how keen Bielsa is to get rid. Some people call that stubborn...I call it leadership. Its that level of leadership that inspired last years squad. No doubt now that this years squad will be all Bielsa's.
    "One of the all time great coaches"???? He's done a marvellous job at Leeds, to a point. His tactics were found out and we got stuffed in the latte half if the season because he was too dogmatic/stubborn to change/adapt AND WE ALL KNOW THAT!

Jansson is old school "brick sh1thouse", a throwback to the days of Big Jack (and no, I'm not making a comparison, just a context), and if the stupud (yes, stupid) In to give a goal went against his psychology, f00king good on him, it was neither deserved nor called for.

If that conflict has resulted in us selling for a pittance the best CB we have, and Bielsa has been in any way influential in that decision, then he displays a degree if petulance and immaturity I didn't think he was capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "One of the all time great coaches"???? He's done a marvellous job at Leeds, to a point. His tactics were found out and we got stuffed in the latte half if the season because he was too dogmatic/stubborn to change/adapt AND WE ALL KNOW THAT!

Jansson is old school "brick sh1thouse", a throwback to the days of Big Jack (and no, I'm not making a comparison, just a context), and if the stupud (yes, stupid) In to give a goal went against his psychology, f00king good on him, it was neither deserved nor called for.

If that conflict has resulted in us selling for a pittance the best CB we have, and Bielsa has been in any way influential in that decision, then he displays a degree if petulance and immaturity I didn't think he was capable of.

According to almost everyone in the game he is indeed one of the great coaches…and the point is he took a team of no-hopers to the brink of promotion, playing some fabulous football.
    I for one “DON’T KNOW THAT” he was “too dogmatic/stubborn to change/adapt”…’cause I’m not sure what he was supposed to adapt into based on the fact he had a mediocre squad (plus youngsters), who he’d worked miracles with getting them to ‘play well’ with the totally new tactics he’d managed to introduce in only a few weeks!
    “Petulance and immaturity”…really!? Sure, everyone is capable of petulance, some way more than others. Bielsa is a thinker, a wise man who plans meticulously, so I’d say petulance is a rarity for him...and immaturity, well I don’t even know where to start to answer that accusation.

And that goal that Bielsa ‘gave away’, well some might view it as “stupid” others inspirational…ethical. The ‘big ape’ showing by example! Boy do we need more of that!

According to almost everyone in the game he is indeed one of the great coaches…and the point is he took a team of no-hopers to the brink of promotion, playing some fabulous football.
    I for one “DON’T KNOW THAT” he was “too dogmatic/stubborn to change/adapt”…’cause I’m not sure what he was supposed to adapt into based on the fact he had a mediocre squad (plus youngsters), who he’d worked miracles with getting them to ‘play well’ with the totally new tactics he’d managed to introduce in only a few weeks!
    “Petulance and immaturity”…really!? Sure, everyone is capable of petulance, some way more than others. Bielsa is a thinker, a wise man who plans meticulously, so I’d say petulance is a rarity for him...and immaturity, well I don’t even know where to start to answer that accusation.

And that goal that Bielsa ‘gave away’, well some might view it as “stupid” others inspirational…ethical. The ‘big ape’ showing by example! Boy do we need more of that!
    If Bielsa was.capable of taking a mediocre squad fromn17/18 to one that was top 6for the majority of 18/19, I'd imagine he could (if he wanted to), adapt to changing circumstances where it was obvious that opposition were adapting (and succeeding) to our style of play, but he didn't. Only he can explain why, but he hasn't, only apologising for the poor.results that dropped us to playoff position. Honourable maybe, productive, nah.

It might be rare for him to display petulance, but if Janssons clear dislike of the decision to cede THAT goal (which all object observers have said was unnecessary, never mind unjustified) has sparked the series of decisions, suppirted by Bielsa, that leads us to lose one of the most inspirational players we have had this decade, then petulance (and immaturity and short sightedness), it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    If Bielsa was.capable of taking a mediocre squad fromn17/18 to one that was top 6for the majority of 18/19, I'd imagine he could (if he wanted to), adapt to changing circumstances where it was obvious that opposition were adapting (and succeeding) to our style of play, but he didn't. Only he can explain why, but he hasn't, only apologising for the poor.results that dropped us to playoff position. Honourable maybe, productive, nah.

It might be rare for him to display petulance, but if Janssons clear dislike of the decision to cede THAT goal (which all object observers have said was unnecessary, never mind unjustified) has sparked the series of decisions, suppirted by Bielsa, that leads us to lose one of the most inspirational players we have had this decade, then petulance (and immaturity and short sightedness), it is.
    I watched the opposition adapt by simply neutralising/closing down our style. That’s both a respect to our team…and ‘relatively’ easy to do. Bielsa’s style is to impose his team on the game, give the opposition no breathing space.…which was fantastic to watch, and for the vast majority of the season I watched our boys overwhelm ‘better’ teams. The fact we came up ‘just’ short with a small, mediocre squad…a young squad ravaged by injuries, is astonishing.

I never took Bielsa’s apologies as an excuse for poor results, I saw them as a genuine apology to the fans, because he knows how much it means to us.

And I see the ceding of the goal as wholly necessary…’cause I want kids to know what doing the right thing means. Even in the most competitive of sports, I still want my team to do it clean and proud…but maybe I’m old fashioned and that doesn’t matter anymore.

And yep, Jansson was inspirational on the filed…many times. I’d love that Jansson to be in my team…he’d be first on my team sheet, but dare I suggest that Jansson was inspirational when Leeds were struggling. He was the ‘big ape’ and that worked great for him. Problem might be that Leeds have moved on…they dared to bring in an ape bigger than Jansson, and that doesn’t work for Pontus…and that’s maybe why the craziest part of all this is that he's having a medical at BRENTFORD!!!...where he can obviously be the ‘big ape’ again. It’s the only thing that makes sense...rather than petulance, immaturity, and short sightedness by Bielsa?

Unless we sign an established CB we're cooked. Cooper,Berardi and an unknown White don't inspire confidence at all. Pontus loved Leeds and Leeds loved him. To lose him to a personality clash is ridiculous. Not putting him on a level with Keane or Cantons, but they were 2 outspoken wing nuts who were 'man managed' to stay at their club and in the team. Same should have been done with Jansson. To me he's a modern day Leeds legend, I loved him playing for us.

One of my favourite players in recent years but I'm afraid if he's going to cause unrest within the ranks then unfortunately it's time to move him on - no single player is bigger than the club.

MOT

But where does this "he thinks he is bigger than the club" thing come from? He never said or did anything suggesting that maybe apart from the incident against Aston Villa where he was fired up and gave everything he had for the club and promotion despite the fact he could barely walk. If Bielsa is still hurt because of that, he must have very low tolerance for strong characters like Pontus.

To me, labeling him a "disruptive presence" is a very very poor attempt at showing the fans that selling him is the good choice. Absolute bull. If it was true he would have been sold already, yet before this week this topic has never been brought up. Well, I'm not buying it.

I watched the opposition adapt by simply neutralising/closing down our style. That’s both a respect to our team…and ‘relatively’ easy to do. Bielsa’s style is to impose his team on the game, give the opposition no breathing space.…which was fantastic to watch, and for the vast majority of the season I watched our boys overwhelm ‘better’ teams. The fact we came up ‘just’ short with a small, mediocre squad…a young squad ravaged by injuries, is astonishing.

I never took Bielsa’s apologies as an excuse for poor results, I saw them as a genuine apology to the fans, because he knows how much it means to us.

And I see the ceding of the goal as wholly necessary…’cause I want kids to know what doing the right thing means. Even in the most competitive of sports, I still want my team to do it clean and proud…but maybe I’m old fashioned and that doesn’t matter anymore.

And yep, Jansson was inspirational on the filed…many times. I’d love that Jansson to be in my team…he’d be first on my team sheet, but dare I suggest that Jansson was inspirational when Leeds were struggling. He was the ‘big ape’ and that worked great for him. Problem might be that Leeds have moved on…they dared to bring in an ape bigger than Jansson, and that doesn’t work for Pontus…and that’s maybe why the craziest part of all this is that he's having a medical at BRENTFORD!!!...where he can obviously be the ‘big ape’ again. It’s the only thing that makes sense...rather than petulance, immaturity, and short sightedness by Bielsa?
    Well, at least we agree on one thing, that we got found out, and results show the impact of that. What your observation prompts is the question... "If it was "relatively" easy to counter Bielsas style, why didn't we see some variation introduced to make sure we still had the opportunity to dominate, (which we did, early doors, another thing we agree on)?

Bielsas statement that last season squad cant replicate the achievements of 18/19 would suggest that we need just such a player as Jansson, as things will not be as straightforward as the early part of last season, and a big ape on the field ought not to be any problem for the big ape off it?

And "that goal". Bielsa has one opinion, Jansson another. One had been playing his heart out and was less than pleased when the players were told to surrender a hard won goal, the other was wanting to make a statement regarding principle, possibly costing the club a chance of promotion in the process. Hardly surprising that there was conflict, isn't that what good management is supposed to manage, not simply get rid because there is "competition"? As for the team doing it "clean and proud".......have you watched games from the 60's 70's 80's 90's etc? Neither we nor our opposition were as pure as the driven snow, and pretending we can give goals to make a point is just naive.

Anyway, looks like he's gone, and surely we're not expecting White to act as replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by cress View Post
    But where does this "he thinks he is bigger than the club" thing come from? He never said or did anything suggesting that maybe apart from the incident against Aston Villa where he was fired up and gave everything he had for the club and promotion despite the fact he could barely walk. If Bielsa is still hurt because of that, he must have very low tolerance for strong characters like Pontus.

To me, labeling him a "disruptive presence" is a very very poor attempt at showing the fans that selling him is the good choice. Absolute bull. If it was true he would have been sold already, yet before this week this topic has never been brought up. Well, I'm not buying it.
    Take the blinkers off for God's sake - his time at the club is finished so it makes more sense to sell him now & get something rather than risk him influencing other squad members to become disruptive too.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)