+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northampton

Northampton

...have been very busy, 11 signings so far...looked like they were filling their boots for a promotion push until todays arrival...one Vadaine Oliver

Don't get me wrong, a physical specimen but Dave the doorman down at the local club could probably do a better job. Couldn't hit a cow's a*se with a banjo is a phrase that springs to mind.

Oh well, all-out hoofball for them next season...no wonder Daniel Powell came to us! Lost both games to them last season but on the whole we look much better against physical teams under Artell than we ever did under SD.

We probably couldn't afford Dave the Doorman's wages anyway 😉

And look how well mass signings turned out over the past couple of seasons for the Vale, Swindon and Fulham, to name but three ��

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    And look how well mass signings turned out over the past couple of seasons for the Vale, Swindon and Fulham, to name but three ��
    Exactly. I think Artell's approach of finding players with decent quality and the right character who buy into the ethos of the club is ideal... besides we don't have the money to sign 8, 9, 10 journeymen nor would I want to see that.

Did anyone see any of the trialists in action yesterday? Heard Mbulu the CH looked decent. Paul Taylor (winger/no. 10) apparently looks a cut above our level technically but sounds like a nightmare character-wise...maybe got big-headed after a £1.5m move to Ipswich in 2012. Perhaps Dave might cut him down a peg or two but I'd rather see that wage being spent on an out-an-out striker.

Mbulu great in the air not great with his feet and a little ponderous, the CH from QPR was woefully slow and not very good with his feet either. Can’t see us getting Taylor in to good for Crewe and comes with a health warning. The midfielder I thought was ok let the pressure of the day get to him at times and tried really hard to impress, not sure we need another midfielder and was no better than we have. All in all Mbulu worth another few games and Taylor likewise if he is not snapped up by a league 1 club.

I thought the midfielder (Mendes?) OK too, but as you say, do we need anyone there? CH we do - I thought Fox (QPR) was better than you did - maybe as he was in front of me while Mbulu was other end - and the better of the two with his feet. He headed out not up too, but if he's slow at only 20 .....

Taylor, interesting, he kept trying to get into positions and calling for a pass, but nothing fell for him to show his finishing - maybe better with Porter as partner than a runner like Powell? He's very short - maybe on temper too. If he's here on trial you've got to think he'd like an offer from us .. but again, is he the sort of striker we need. Shaun can play that role if we want one, if he doesn't go - I assume the reason he was there but not on pitch for a run out.

Taylor has drugs history, been done for ABH and has had more clubs than Tiger Woods. We've already got a 31 year old diminutive striker who can't get a game. Why do we need another with additional baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Taylor has drugs history, been done for ABH and has had more clubs than Tiger Woods. We've already got a 31 year old diminutive striker who can't get a game. Why do we need another with additional baggage.
    Yeah a chequered past would be putting it mildly by the sounds of it...surely better options out there but if he kept his head down we would have a quality player on our hands without a doubt. He's still training with us today as is Mbulu. Mendes and Fox released.

At least the drugs incident was a *long* time ago - he was 19 or 20 and is now 31 - but he does seem to have had a combative past too at some clubs .... He certainly looked like a good player without anything falling to him, they must think it's at least worth keeping looking at him - and he's showing commitment by sticking here too. Can't see DA standing any nonsense if they do sign him, and no doubt that's been made clear - maybe he'll show enough against Liverpool u-23s for us to see him again against Altrincham.

We really need to re-label this thread "Pre-season"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast