+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red squirrels off the bucket list ....

Sunny day today so I'm taking the lovely Sue up to Whitby for some fish n chips and a pint of Plumb Porter,I shall of course he on the Coke,enjoy the good weather wherever you are

Took the coffin road above Grasmere yesterday, then along to Rydal Mount (Wordsworth’s old place) for a visit and enjoyed the gardens. Ice cream by the bridge then the top path by the cave behind Rydal Water and on to Grasmere village for a pint of Loweswater Gold and back to the car. Eight wonderful miles. No squirrels in sight, but we did see a deer.

That sounds like a wonderful walk griff but I've become very lazy since finishing work and I would struggle to do it now,why is Coffin Road so called,is that is proper name or a local nickname? Nottingham is full of caves,litterly the whole city is honeycombed with them,there must be around 5-600 or so I think,back in Victorian times a lot was used as housing or pubs used them to store their beer as it's nice n cool down there
    Going to the parrot zoo Wednesday and then sitting by the river at Newark for a few pints and relax (coke for me again) back to the Isle of Wight on Friday,back home Saturday
    Last edited by cocopops61; 16-07-2019 at 09:34 PM.

It was the path they used to carry coffins along in days gone by when churches with burial grounds were rarer. They had flat rocks along the way to put the coffins on so the men could have a rest.

I remember drinking in the Trip under Nottingham castle a few times maybe 30 years ago with bits dropping off the ceiling into my pint from quite a height. That cliff was full of caves, or so I was told.

Wow that's awesome,are the flat rocks still visible? That must have been one hard job todo.if you was unfit when you first started the job you wasn't after a few months
    The Trip has indeed lots of caves surrounding it and the pub was originally built into the cliff face so that it could make use of its caves as a beer cellar,I would love to visit it again but it's obviously become a tourist pub now being so close to the castle (which isn't really a castle anymore more a big house)
    One of the caves near The Trip leads directly to the castle above and was used by Edward 111's men to secretly enter the building and capture Roger Mortimer who had declared himself king if my local history lesson at school serves me well,that lesson was great because we got to visit the hole itself and one of the few happy memories I have of school
    Fingers crossed for a few more days of good weather and have a good time if anybody is going anywhere nice this week

Paths in the Lake District have so many rocks and boulders along the way that it’s impossible to say which ones they were. Glacial moraine has left hillsides strewn with rocks and nature brings a few more down every year.

I always looked forward to trips to Nottingham: I had the hottest curry I’ve ever eaten there, saw the most mice I’ve ever seen in a pub and the girls in Nottingham seemed better looking for some reason. Maybe it was the beer.

Anyway, I’ve wanted to get “strewn” into a post on here for years. Ta, Chalky.

Name:  IMG_20190717_122708393.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  86.0 KB

We went traveling the back roads of Lincolnshire and came across this five sail windmill, because it's got five sails it turns the opposite way to normal and so is "left handed" fact fans
    I went right up to the top and it's a lot higher than it looks

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I've had a look at them online and comparing those to what I went on is the same as when kel compared Hollingworth Lake to the Lake District,they are both the same thing written down on paper but very different when you see them

I shall be visiting Bakewell and Barnsley today and both very different to each other I suspect
    I didn’t compare Hollingworth Lake to the Lake District, Chalks, you did. I was responding to your claim that I don’t have any beauty in the surrounding areas.

Aye Kel,looking back you are absolutely right,sorry

No need to apologise, chalks, I didn’t take offence or owt.

On another note, I was out yesterday on a canal barge trip thingy for me mums birthday and one of her mates is a Notts fan and I have to admit I did enjoy telling him how my mate is the manager at Chorley and how he’d enjoy a trip there next season for a bit of a culture shock.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)